To ban American children's TV

(56 Posts)
Viewofthehills Sun 31-Mar-13 13:21:26

DD7 is banned from watching I Carly etc, as she was so cheeky yesterday, and full of back chat. I told her it was not acceptable several times. In the end I said I was sorry, it was obviously not her fault as she had picked up this horrible behaviour from TV, and she was banned. She has been ill, so watching a lot more television than usual.
Is it just me that finds this happens?

FinnTheHuman Sun 31-Mar-13 17:26:16

And my children do apparently manage to curtail their behaviour even though they watch this stuff. Shit I don't even impose a screen time limit.

SquinkieBunnies Sun 31-Mar-13 19:39:23

We are in the US and Dd doesn't watch any of the shows mentioned. I must be the last home in America without cable or satellite TV. Plain old aerial and freeview for us. So all those expensive marketing shows and cartoons aren't on our TV grin
I watch after she's in bed so see, the Simpsons and The Middle and others, but those are on after bedtime here usually.
Poor kid she's been raised on educational TV She still tries the back chat and drama queen stuff, so I think it may be a child thing not an American TV show thing.

Jestrin Sun 31-Mar-13 20:27:31

YANBU We are deluged with American kids shows and imho they are just AWFUL!

StuntGirl Sun 31-Mar-13 20:36:18

Anime isn't all bad, we watch it sometimes. It's often quite sexist which grates massively but does promote good work ethics, close family ties and respect to elders etc.

I think all in moderation works well. I actually got sick of Hollywood films a while back, as it seemed every film I saw was the same old shit. I actively seek out British and foreign films now, not because I'm pretentious but just because I want to be exposed to as many different world views as I can. I would want to do the same for my kids with the tv they watch too.

FionaJT Sun 31-Mar-13 20:50:06

My dd (8) doesn't like iCarly/Hannah Montana type stuff, watches CBBC out of choice (she hates ad breaks in programmes) but finds Tracey Beaker boring. She is however full of cheeky back chat and stroppy attitude, and I don't think she's learning it from Horrible Histories or Deadly 60! So you may be barking up the wrong tree.

Viewofthehills Sun 31-Mar-13 23:22:15

Well, I would hate anyone to think I am anti- American. I'm not at all. I just don't want my daughter to emulate a way of talking that I don't like. (Actually she is quite funny, but I am not about to let her know that) I don't think I have imagined it, it has happened since she has been ill and watching more TV than usual.

My Mum in her day banned us from watching Grange Hill plus ITV, full stop and I was put out about it. So if she stops being cheeky she can have it back, but for an episode occasionally, not to excess.

And thank you all for your opinions smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now