Aibu to wonder why people treat Easter and Christmas as competitions to out weigh other parents?

(79 Posts)
M0naLisa Sun 31-Mar-13 13:19:10

First off my boys of 6 & 5 got an egg each from me and DH worth £4. Ds3 who's 17 weeks got a £5 soft teddy bear/sheep. That's it.

They got a further 5 eggs from family.

On Facebook (I know) people posting pictures of what's the 'Easter Bunny' left. (I am guilty of this too but mines a normal picture of chocolate eggs wink)
Most pictures ive seen today had wrapped pregnant a stacked high, bikes, skateboards, scooters and massive eggs the size of a house - for a 4 year old.

Then you've got people applying saying they are sad they haven't spoilt their little ones as they've only bought them 3 eggs each and colouring books, socks and DVDs.

I thought kids received chocolate at Easter.
I also used to receive a cross from folded beige palm paper (or something) can't remember the name now.

simplesusan Sun 31-Mar-13 15:06:27

I think if you did a straw pole about the amount of presents kids from the same social background receive, you will find that it is those kids from broken (to use a phrase) homes who are overindulged.
I really believe this to be the case.
Overindulged by most family members to compete with the estranged partner. They don't want to appear to be the skinflint. They have to buy their child's love to make up for the guilt that they feel. This admittedly is on a subconscious level. That is not to say that other types of parents don't overindulge their children, yes they do but not on the same level, or with materialist goods that would be considered beyond their means.

I have seen this time after time.
Daddy buys Johnny a computer. Not to be outdone Mummy then stumps up for a playstation. Daddy takes Johnny to Disneyland. Mummy then pays for Johnny to go skiing. It is always the kids who are not with both biological parents, always.

YouTheCat Sun 31-Mar-13 15:09:06

My dd doesn't care for chocolate so she gets a game for her DS.

Her twin brother got a t-shirt and an Angry bird plushie.

They are Christmas birthdays so it just seems like a nice thing to do. I don't see it as any kind of competition. Do what suits you.

I got a massive Hotel Chocolat egg. grin

uncongenial Sun 31-Mar-13 15:10:48

smile Unique

Fluffy1234 Sun 31-Mar-13 15:14:48

We normally have a big holiday at Easter but this year haven't so I brought my DS's a wii game that has just come out, a 3Ds game and a Lego set to share. More for an activity during the school holidays as days out can be very expensive. They got a £1 egg each. I wouldn't put pictures on Facebook although I have seen some great egg photos on it.
I don't really get the only buying stuff for children at Christmas thing. I buy mine stuff throughout the year depending on if they need it, I have the money or when I want to treat them. I think otherwise it makes Christmas to much of a big deal. I wouldn't for instance like to have all my treats or new clothes just once a year.

dd is a december birthday so we'll be celebrating her june baptism as a "church birthday" but not with huge pressies.
probably lashes and ashes.

uncongenial Sun 31-Mar-13 15:15:50

But at least you know why you're doing it, Jins. A summer toy from the Easter bunny.

threesypeesy Sun 31-Mar-13 15:17:28

Well that's a sweeping generalization i am happily married to Dh the father of my 3dcs and we love to over indulge, neither of us are from less well off or broken homes either and were over indulged children so parents just like their dcs to have nice things not through guilt

HaHa OP!

Yes, I remember being quite impressed at being given a palm cross at church on Palm Sunday. Those were the days !

DS went out to the Co-op yesterday with a tenner and came home with a small chocolate egg for us all, which we've all enjoyed this morning.
There was change !

DC's have been quite happy today skate-boarding in park (DS), arranging my bunch of Easter flowers more artfully (DD), and pottering in the garden.

Mind you DD did invite a few friends out last night to the local roller skating disco for a little birthday outing/party. We had chocolate cake, pringles, home made samosas, and lemonade.
Even that was less than £50

Some people are just a bit crazy when it comes to material goods !

i got the baby a learn and groove, who cares, it may look ott but it cost £10 on ebay. I don't understand why people care.

HallelujahHeisRisen Sun 31-Mar-13 15:21:02

the children's dad did not buy them an easter egg, nor did i. we discussed it together and have little eggs for an easter egg hunt and eggs from paternal grandpa. maternal grandmother is getting more little eggs for a hunt at her house/garden. they got eggs from church/party/neighbour so are not missing out. they are still getting though christmas chocolate... we just do not eat that much chocolate.

it does not follow thata children with separated parents get overly spoiled

Fluffy1234 Sun 31-Mar-13 15:23:01

simplesusan, what are you talking about?

slatternlymother Sun 31-Mar-13 15:23:33

Meh, I bought DS who's 2 a scooter because he's got barely any family other than us and hasn't had much in the way of that. He's wanted one since he's been able to walk properly, and we wanted to treat him. I'd rather give him a gift than mountains of chocolate, and it's getting to the season where we're starting to be outdoors a bit more. His birthday is in October as well, so not much scope to get it for him for his birthday.

It isn't always about showing off, sometimes it's a genuine opportunity to get them something nice, especially if their birthdays are miles away. I always feel like getting them outdoor equipment at Christmas can be a bit of a waste, since its a good few months until they can get out there and use it.

starfishmummy Sun 31-Mar-13 15:24:05

Ds got a 99p egg (he's not fond of chocolate) and he will be getting a set of the Dr who stamps when they arrive.
Grandma the other hand has spent about £40 on him.

slatternlymother Sun 31-Mar-13 15:29:04

But starfish does his grandma see him very often? I'm sure when I have GC's <hopeful> that I'll spoil them too smile

bizzey Sun 31-Mar-13 15:33:50

Well I must be the "Bah humbug" of Easter then !!! My dc's got a kinder egg each before they went to stay with in laws .....1 dc stayed with me (didn't) want to go )
(who will get them something)

Sitting room needs a good sort out so I have hidden little eggs around to find while sorting through boxes and piles of tat !!!!

Dc keeps asking "when can we tidy the sitting room ?" blush

bizzey Sun 31-Mar-13 15:38:54

Well I must be the "Bah humbug" of Easter then !!! My dc's got a kinder egg each before they went to stay with in laws .....1 dc stayed with me (didn't want to go )
(GP'S will get them something)

Sitting room needs a good sort out so I have hidden little eggs around to find while sorting through boxes and piles of tat !!!!

Dc keeps asking "when can we tidy the sitting room ?" blush

wonderingsoul Sun 31-Mar-13 16:09:25

I normally just get them one or two eggs but this year I did Easter hunt with smaller eggs. As well as two medium eggs.

Also got them. A cars sing a long CD with book. And Roland Darlh10 books audio cds. I had been wanting to buy them for a while but used Easter to give me a 'reason' to buy it. They are both nov ans ddec births so I like to use any excuse.

I also don't see the problem with posting pictures on Fb. I would have taken a photo of it to keep any way. Just happens I upload. Most photos to Fb so I don't lose them on my phone.

FinnTheHuman Sun 31-Mar-13 17:19:06

I am wondering how the supermarkets have been selling out of eggs, when it appears that so many are determinedly not buying eggs.

As it happens DH had a mad but fruitless trawl around the shops yesterday to find some. We were really grateful to his parents and sister who had thought ahead and left a large present bag for each of the children with enough chocolate in to make them properly ill.

RatPants Sun 31-Mar-13 17:31:19

Misfit that's exactly what my dh is like. He has done very well for himself and can afford it but always has to have the best of everything, latest gadget etc and so do the dc and it's all down to his underprivileged childhood and the horrible time of things he had as a youngster. I catch it now and then in him and it breaks my heart.

MiniEggsJumpedInMyBasket Sun 31-Mar-13 18:18:38

I don't go on FB much but had a look this morning and sure enough my feed was full up of photos of Easter 'presents'; Ipads, bikes, stacks of wrapped gifts. It's bonkers! It is those same FB friends that post photo after photo at Xmas of stacks of wrapped presents and statuses about how much it all cost!

eggerlicious Sun 31-Mar-13 18:28:07

Two eggs each here too! They do save the eggs for a month or two, but they don't have sweet teeth and there's really no need for any more.

SneezingwakestheJesus Sun 31-Mar-13 18:32:12

If someone's pictures on Facebook make you feel like its a competition, I think that says more about you than them. Loads of the mums on my fb have posted egg pictures today and I don't feel like they are starting a competition. They are just sharing their Easter the way they share pics of everything else.

whosiwhatsit Sun 31-Mar-13 18:41:47

Just checked my fb feed. A couple of pictures of kids who received soft toys and some with egss but apart from that no kids with gifts and no bragging, PLUS one photo of a cutesy bunny cake violently stabbed with a massive kitchen knife which I disturbingly found quite hilarious. I have weeded out my fb friends list quite ruthlessly and am pleased with the result!

Rosa Sun 31-Mar-13 18:44:17

Nothing on my FB page the odd pic of eggs in a hunt but nothing OTT ...just some happy smiley faces....

Altinkum Sun 31-Mar-13 19:11:19

My DC, got 39 (at last count) EACH, we are not a breakup family, we didn't buy them eggs, we got them a outfit each, the eggs came from our mahoosive family.

Today we decorated eggs for our big hill roll, baked cakes for 2 sets of grandparents, been to church, visited the hospital who saved ds life, and gave eggs, plus gifts and money donations that we had raised as a family, even if that family may be extended.

We then visited dh parents at the local pub for a fun packed day off Easter fun, my DC know the meaning of Easter, and even more so the meaning of family time together, as without family we would truly lead a world of unknown, as family to us is extreamly important.

£1 eater eggs, plus donations off gifts and donations means children are happy tonight but to us as a family unit, is much more valuable than a eater egg.

Easter eggs just shows that even through my family live hundreds of miles away, they are thinking of us as part of there family, be that a gift, a card, their time, a phone call etc... its something insignificant but means so much more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now