Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think AIBU should be split into serious AIBU and not so serious, I've got more important things to worry about AIBU

(51 Posts)
kim147 Sun 31-Mar-13 11:51:55

Because that will then stop people pouncing on you.

complexnumber Sun 31-Mar-13 12:03:02

So which category would you put this thread in?

kim147 Sun 31-Mar-13 12:05:41

This is so not serious.

Trills Sun 31-Mar-13 13:30:47

I'd rather it was split into "I am not BU grr I am ranting" and "I actually may consider the possibility that IABU"

Sparklingbrook Sun 31-Mar-13 13:39:24

I am fed up of the pouncing on AIBU. It should be renamed 'What do you make of this'?

MsVestibule Sun 31-Mar-13 13:46:25

I hate the 'is this all you've got to worry about, don't you realise that children are dying in Syria?' brigade. Other threads are obviously lighthearted but the OP still get grief about it.

Sparklingbrook Sun 31-Mar-13 13:49:32

I think in the section 'What do you make of this?' the Op should be allowed to not reveal what they think to start with.

AIBU is truly vile. Put a thread in there and you get flamed, put the same thread differently worded in Chat and it tends to go ok.

YABU. Who is it you don't want pounced on? Is it OK to pounce on serious AIBUs? Or is it OK to pounce on unserious AIBUs?

Sparklingbrook Sun 31-Mar-13 13:51:46

I think there are posters who go onto AIBU with the intention of pouncing/flaming whenever possible.

I'm glad this is all you have to worry about, I stubbed my toe earlier, you should try having to deal with that grin

I started a thread in aibu, it was about my mil,and not only did I get some yanbus, but the people who did think iwbu were all polite and nice to me and it descended into an interesting, informative debate.
Never thought I'd see it smile

BarredfromhavingStella Sun 31-Mar-13 13:53:15

YANBU, think it's a very good idea.

Trills Sun 31-Mar-13 13:53:58

Can we have a definition of "pouncing" as opposed to just "replying"?

Sparklingbrook Sun 31-Mar-13 13:54:49

SPB are you sure? I started a thread in AIBU and got accused of being ignorant about Christian festivals. sad

Sparklingbrook Sun 31-Mar-13 13:55:46

I think 'pouncing' is usually a very short, curt reply generally totally unhelpful and flaming the poster at the same time.

Oh yes. I did have to add a huge disclaier in the title though. In what way are you ignorant of Christian festivals?

Yes to "pounce" on this thread would be "fgs op divisive much? Get.a.grip"

Sparklingbrook Sun 31-Mar-13 13:58:40

I said Good Friday was 'odd'. The thread was about some things being open and some not. I was told it wasn't odd and I was ignorant about Good Friday and to get my facts straight.

Sparklingbrook Sun 31-Mar-13 13:59:32

Ooh yes Stealth good pounce example. A snippy question.

confused
Easily confused, really

SPB: your thread had a massive disclaimer though! People shouldn't have to provide disclaimers to keep from being flamed.

No I agree. But we do, because of the po. I was terrifiwd, had taken my life in mg hands grin

Sparklingbrook Sun 31-Mar-13 14:02:43

Good Friday is not odd. It is a Christian festival that, in this country (and others) is marked by a bank holiday. Like Christmas, it is actually a festival celebrated my many who are not Christian, but it is no more odd than Christmas.

Perhaps you should google Good Friday so you are a bit less ignorant about it?

^ ^ Me being educated in AIBU. sad

Sorry, get it now, was confused by the 'open' remarks.
Is this a po thing? I'm seeing it more and more but whether I'm just more noticing it or whather it's more prevalent.

Viviennemary Sun 31-Mar-13 14:10:09

It's a good mix. And if people are very serious they can post in relationships or Health or whatever other appropriate section. But sometimes people take a thread seriously when they aren't meant to. or vice versa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now