AIBU and over reacting

(79 Posts)
InNeedOfBrandy Sun 31-Mar-13 10:55:38

Quite stressed ATM anyway and trying not to take it out on the dc. Ds (5) was acting up all day yesterday, (things like dipping his green beans in his drink at the table then when I had took the water away from him 5 minutes later he was trying to sneak his drink back which if I hadn't seen would of tipped my wine everywhere) he eventually got sent to bed early as I just couldn't cope with his not listening. He broke my lamp, opened 3 more bags of crisps after I told him he could have one and stuff like that.

Anyway had a chat last night about listening to me again and what happens when he doesn't. He understands I think. Till this morning when I'm in the bath he says he's hungry can he have more cereal, well that's fine help yourself and he takes my cereal. He knows that the curiously cinnamon squares are mine and not anybody else's, he did this yesterday as well and I'm really not happy. They both choose a cereal each when they're other one runs out plus there's usually Cheerios shreddies and frostys so why the hell is he taking mine! I might be slightly unreasonable about this as after all it is only cereal but the slyness of him sneaking it has really pissed me off.

ATM I've told him I'm not happy and I'm really considering not taking him to the party we're going to later. I am also thinking about making him give me a pound out his money box? Or AIBU and over reacting over a bowl of cereal.

Shelly32 Sun 31-Mar-13 10:59:14

I know it's not April Fool's Day yet but is this an early joke? You have your own cereal that you keep from your kid and get cross about him dipping green beans in his drink?

Coconutty Sun 31-Mar-13 11:01:15

Haha, nearly got me.

wankerchief Sun 31-Mar-13 11:01:28

A pound and having to miss a party for eating your cereal?

Really?

Taking his pocket money would be OTT, as would not taking him to the party. I can completely see why the sneakiness pissed you off, but your proposed punishments are taking it a bit too far in my opinion. S no, YANBU, but you are overreacting.

Rainbowinthesky Sun 31-Mar-13 11:03:15

Yabu. You are also being unreasonable for having gross cereals in the house in the first place.

Rindercella Sun 31-Mar-13 11:03:25

this is your 5 year old child you're talking about yes? And not a partner being a bit of a twat?

A massive over reaction imo. pick your battles carefully with 5 year olds...fights over cereals are entirely needless. and you cannot possibly be serious about not taking him to a party because he sneaked some of your forbidden cereal.

My advice? If you don't want your 5 year old child to have something, keep it out of his way. It really is quite simple.

Lucyellensmum95 Sun 31-Mar-13 11:03:28

1/10 must try harder

pjmama Sun 31-Mar-13 11:03:28

Forty lashes at least for nearly spilling your wine, you have to nip behaviour like that in the bud.

Rainbowinthesky Sun 31-Mar-13 11:04:07

Meant to put a wink after my post.

yabu and ridiculous.

hth!

Brandy, this must be an April Fool's joke, yes?

Joolsy Sun 31-Mar-13 11:05:03

Maybe think about an alternative punishment as it would be a shame for him to miss the party. I don't think it's unreasonable to be upset though as he broke the rules which he no doubt was aware of.

InNeedOfBrandy Sun 31-Mar-13 11:06:18

No not a joke I'm turning into my mum sad

sweetiepie1979 Sun 31-Mar-13 11:07:00

I think this is a joke in not been sucked in

Yes ywbu then. Wekl dine for reslising

Ediblemushrooms Sun 31-Mar-13 11:07:52

This is a wind up. Surely?

Why would a 5 year old help himself to 3 bags of crisps- don't you put them where he can't get to them?

Why is a 5 yr old having crisps anyway- they are full of salt and fat?

Why are you in the bath when he is needing breakfast? Can't you shower after it's all sorted- or make him wait until you are out of the bath?

You are blaming a 5 yr old for your own mismanagement. Get a grip.

YABVU.

NewAtThisMalarky Sun 31-Mar-13 11:08:14

If this is serious YANBU, YABCR (you are being completely ridiculous).

Who separates cereal into 'theirs' and 'mine'?

gordyslovesheep Sun 31-Mar-13 11:08:35

oh come on now - April Fool surely???

NewAtThisMalarky Sun 31-Mar-13 11:09:22

But it's March.... not April...

MarcelineTheVampireQueen Sun 31-Mar-13 11:09:39

Brandy, worst wind up ever.

gordyslovesheep Sun 31-Mar-13 11:10:50

if you ARE serious then you need to chill out

massive over reaction to a child helping themselves to YOUR cereal for starters

RegularVoltaire Sun 31-Mar-13 11:10:54

Seriously? Oh dear.

YABU

InNeedOfBrandy Sun 31-Mar-13 11:11:39

He had already had breakfast while I was in the bath, and the crisps were out because we had a late lunch yesterday (about 3ish and it was a huge roast had family over) so dinner was dips and crisps and cheese and naice ham and bread.

I'm going back to the drs on the 26th about my general grumpiness to see if a switch in pill has worked, obviously not.

Rindercella Sun 31-Mar-13 11:13:29

Really, if this is serious, then I think it's a good idea you're golng to see your GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now