...to wish retailers would just look out the fecking window?

(193 Posts)
somewherewest Sat 30-Mar-13 19:18:09

...inspired by our local branch of Jojo Maman Tres Expensif*, which is chocca with sunhats and swimwear despite the fact its fecking -5 outside. Seriously? There were icicles overhanging their beachwear window display last week.

*I realise this immediately discloses the fact that we're not in Toxteth or Brixton

floweryblue Sat 30-Mar-13 22:51:51

Wally will no doubt know more than me on this but I think one of the problems is January Sales. Why are clothing retailers clearing their winter stock, slap bang in the middle of winter?

Surely, Easter Sales would be more appropriate, clear winter stock for spring, give 6 months for Spring/Summer collections to sell through before September/Autumn sales?

As it stands, A/W stock starts appearing July-ish time, giving a max of 5 months to sell the clothes we all wear for at least 7 months of the year. So 7 months of the year, the new stock on offer is 'summer', hardly a reliable proposition in the British climate.

WallyBantersJunkBox Sat 30-Mar-13 23:10:07

Flowery you simply don't have the space or capacity to hold it until there is a chance that it might sell 12 weeks later. You can carryover a few safe items but you really have to clear your previous seasons stock under pressure from the business.

If you are bringing in stock from the Far East you have to pull in huge initial quantities in full sizes to "launch" a collection for a season and fill a store. As you have invested in that stock you need to see some return on it and have to send it out regardless of what the weather is doing when it should be spring.

Most retailers have a transition range of 3/4 sleeves, macs, and basics in the Feb/September periods. I've yet to see a wholly successful transition range with any decent sell through ever in retail, and I've done this for nearly 20 years! it is the riskiest time of the season.

You can't fill a store completely with "safe" items in basic colours, it just doesn't draw in customers. You have to have a balance and you have a limit on what you are allowed to spend called open to buy.

Incidentally I have had to sign off SS14 this week, due to the order windows we've been given from the Far East and surprisingly from Turkey who we used to use "in season" to react to trends. So I have had my team plan a range for next year, before we've even started SS13 and had time to analyse any results. sad

Huge huge risk.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 30-Mar-13 23:17:10

Fab posts, Wally.

WallyBantersJunkBox Sat 30-Mar-13 23:20:38

Fab name Doctrine grin

And I spend a bit of time every day looking out of the window, willing the snow to stop!

I have 5000 units of Winter accessories in my outlet stores and sold 40 pieces last week! Where are you ladies!? grin

LineRunner Sat 30-Mar-13 23:20:54

Could you not knit something nice, OP?

cece Sat 30-Mar-13 23:20:59

I'm after size 12 grey school shorts. Can't get them for love nor money...

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 30-Mar-13 23:22:15

They may be fab posts in terms of explaining why the current ridiculous situation exists.

But it doesn't get away from the fact that it is hugely annoying to not be able to buy clothing that you can wear immediately for roughly 50% of the year.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 30-Mar-13 23:24:18

Wally - at home not spending anything because all the stock is flip flops, shorts and maxis!

I normally average about £250 a month on clothes, just for myself. Since the beginning of December I have spent £90 on bras, that is all.
The clothes are crap and all polyester, everything is for the wrong season. It utterly sucks. I know I am not the only person not spending.

StuntGirl Sat 30-Mar-13 23:34:41

Oh gosh ali, I am very jealous of your clothes budget! envy

bellabelly Sat 30-Mar-13 23:38:29

Primark were selling off 2-packs of mittens 2 weeks ago. Think I paid £1, worth a look?

floweryblue Sun 31-Mar-13 00:02:16

We used to sell clothes in our small shop, it just didn't work, because of the patterns and pressures of working to the timetables dictated by the big retailers and manufacturers.

I can totally understand that if a multiple has got sales statistics showing what sells when, they will go for that solution. But many multiples are going to the wall because of their lack of flexibility and inability to source what they need when they need it.

Nanny0gg Sun 31-Mar-13 00:17:53

If they haven't got it in stock, they can't sell it.

So might it be that their sales statistics are a little skewed? (and not in favour of the customer)

SinisterBuggyMonth Sun 31-Mar-13 00:28:03

LastJuly I went shopping for my summer holidays and the shops were full of jumpers and mittens.

Lockedout434 Sun 31-Mar-13 00:34:33

Surely the answer is that the Far East factories are dictating when and what is being made rather than tge customer. the tail is wagging the dog. There is space in the market for more factories who are nearer and therefore more responsive and have greater capacity. So source nearer home something up in uk Bradford the must have capacity. Invest in new technology.

Also clothes buyers English summer are shit cardigans and light jumpers are still needed for children to put over the spaghetti strapped thin material dresses that would be ok for Spain etc but in England are totally inappropriate

Thank god for decathlon you can by thick warm jackets and coats all year long. It's my secret weapon for when I buy school coats in September when everything has been swept of the shelves elsewhere.

I always thought the buyers all had some form of OCD that caused them to think everyone bought clothes 2 months ahead. It's just the factories dictating when we can buy clothes.

Lockedout434 Sun 31-Mar-13 00:38:50

Oh and whilst we have their ears

Sleeves put a fucking sleeve on summer dresses. Bingo wings don't look good in summer

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 31-Mar-13 08:27:51

Locked out, if the factories were in the UK, the clothes would cost a heck of a lot more.

I'm happy to join your sleeves campaign though.

Tee2072 Sun 31-Mar-13 08:30:28

And the inability to meet the actual needs of consumers is what is going to kill all brick and mortar stores smaller than a Super ASDA or Tesco.

And it's why so many are in administration, not just the economy.

The 'net is easier, faster, more flexible and, usually, cheaper.

So, buyers on this thread, find a solution...or a new job.

LIZS Sun 31-Mar-13 08:35:06

but stock is ordered a year or so in advance to arrive in time for Spring ! It would have been on the ships by Christmas.

zwischenzug Sun 31-Mar-13 08:36:46

People still need these things if they're going on holiday.. It's not like sun hats etc get much use in the UK most years anyway.

AuntieStella Sun 31-Mar-13 08:45:55

It's interesting to see that 'what the customer wants' comes below 'this is how we do it'.

It's a pity there can be no sales figures comparing buying habits now, on rigid customer-unfriendly system to those on a system which was more closely attuned to actual demand (not manipulated demand - for who buys Tshirts now unless they fear there'll be none left when it's warm?) and had core items available year round.

Tee2072 Sun 31-Mar-13 08:47:43

Exactly, AuntieStella. So much for customer service.

Euphemia Sun 31-Mar-13 08:55:10

I hate the shops these days. We all moan on MN about them, but is anyone listening?

Seasonal goods appearing in the shops way too early. We don't want to see Christmas stuff in the shops for six months (August til January), it spoils the season.

We don't want Back To School stuff all over the shops two weeks before the buggers have even broken up. It spoils the anticipation of the summer holidays, when we don't have to think about school things for a month or so.

Can't buy warm clothes from March until July.

Can't buy swimming costumes from July until March.

Shops are full of cheap, nasty clothes.

Anything targetted at women (plus household goods typically bought by women) is expensive and poor quality.

And since when was Halloween such a big thing that the shops have to have tat in for two months beforehand?

Tee2072 Sun 31-Mar-13 08:58:52

And people will continue to vote with their feet and shop online where you can get what you want when you want it.

When are retailers going to wake up? I guess once their companies are out of business.

Euphemia Sun 31-Mar-13 09:01:14

We also need to stop buying cheap crap. As long as people buy t-shirts for pennies, the shops will keep stocking them.

SprinkleLiberally Sun 31-Mar-13 09:01:29

Really, we don't need many summer clothes at all in the UK. We need winter coats and hats and lots of "middling" clothes. You know, t shirts, but with long sleeves, mid weight dresses woth sleeves, thin knits. That would work for most of our changeable weather.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now