to think i should be able to buy an Easter egg on EASTER Saturday

(125 Posts)
Loislane78 Sat 30-Mar-13 17:22:28

Just been to Sainsbury's to get an Easter egg for me and DP to share tomorrow but there are none left; zilch, nada, ZERO eggs. The person in the store looked at me like I had two heads when I asked where they were; "Easter Eggs you say? No, got none left. Might be a couple of cream eggs near the tills".

The 'seasonal' aisle is now full of summer gardening equipment (look outside people!!!) and confused looking mums wanting to buy last minute eggs.

Perhaps I should start shopping a season in advance; buying my Christmas turkey in September and Easter Eggs on Boxing day. Shit, I better start queuing for some sparklers for Bonfire Night in case they run out of those in November too.

Get it together Sainsburys. Some of us live in the moment.

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Sat 30-Mar-13 17:39:38

I think they have all seriously cut how many they've had in

Roseformeplease Sat 30-Mar-13 17:41:46

Just bought the last 3 in the village where we are on holiday. One for each child and one for Granny (who will eat theirs otherwise ).

Euphemia Sat 30-Mar-13 17:42:40

So is it that they've sold out, or been taken away to make space for barbecue stuff? confused

VinegarDrinker Sat 30-Mar-13 17:44:53

I ordered some for our online shop yesterday... Got some eggs but not what I ordered and substitutions didn't take account of milk/dark/white so poor DH who only eats dark choc has none while I have 2! blush (On holiday miles from any shops)

It is not Easter Saturday.

So YABU.

VinegarDrinker Sat 30-Mar-13 17:46:45

Eh? It is, surely. Or Easter Eve, or Holy Saturday.

On the other hand, from a stock point of view, running out today is pretty much perfect.

Why do my DCs have four full-size Easter Eggs each?! When I was little you got one, from your parents, and that was it. Where did the custom come from of giving Easter Eggs to everyone you know?

lol at Easter Broccoli

Yanbu, i bet the large supermarkets have stocked them away to sell next year if the dates are good, to sell at the same price. Either that or they have sold them on to staff. Supermarkets don't exactly like offering stuff for cheap anymore grrr.

I agree re all this gardening/bbq nonsense, have they not looked at the weather/temperature??!![bushocked]. No-one is going to do up their garden or have a barbie until the temperature goes up and thaws a bit. Although its sunny here today, its like Iceland outside brrr.

I also think you are right about having to buy seasonal stuff 3m in advance, they were selling Easter eggs in our local Tesco, a few days shy of Christmas! And on Halloween, couldn't find any Halloween paraphernalia as the Christmas stuff was being rolled out shock

We seem to be in a rush for everything nowadays, well not me but some of the general population!

Easter Eve, yes. Holy Saturday, yes. Because it is still Holy Week and the day before Easter.

Easter Week starts tomorrow. Easter (Sun)Day, Easter Monday, etc.

Nincompoopery Sat 30-Mar-13 17:49:19

Yes, you are BU.. Well by supermarket standards anyway.,I bought my DH and DD weeks ago but went to both Tesco and Asda to by my own egg(s) today... Not a sign of any egg shaped chocolate in sight.

MrsGeologist Sat 30-Mar-13 17:49:24

DS1 would love Easter Broccoli, the strange boy.

cherrycarpet Sat 30-Mar-13 17:52:35

Yeah - we had the same problem today. NOTHING in our local huge Tesco or Sainsbury's. We only got back from holiday yesterday so were hoping to find eggs today. Finally got lucky in a small, local Tesco but the choice was very limited. I think they've messed up big time!

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Sat 30-Mar-13 17:55:44

YABU - everybody knows you have to buy your easter eggs on boxing day.

Today you should be buying school uniform for the new term in September wink

Easter scrambled eggs?

TomArchersSausage Sat 30-Mar-13 17:58:28

I agree!

Buy your eggs on Dec 27th when the shops open and Christmas presents in July. It's madness. We'll meet ourselves coming back one of these days.

lockets Sat 30-Mar-13 18:00:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Merrylegs Sat 30-Mar-13 18:00:41

It's true! Only eggs left this a.m in Sainsburys were One Direction eggs for 99p. So I bought 3. Hey, chocolate is chocolate.

cardibach Sat 30-Mar-13 18:01:52

COme to West Wales. Bloody loads of them when I was in town this morning. THere will be many reduced ones on Tuesday, I feel... smile

Meglet Sat 30-Mar-13 18:03:42

smugmarried I've already started on the new uniform. And can I get age 7 boys black trousers, can I fuck.

Maybe we should get some easter egg moulds so we can make our own eggs next year.

OddBoots Sat 30-Mar-13 18:08:31

It must be a buyers nightmare trying to work out exactly how many to stock, especially in recession.

OddBoots Sat 30-Mar-13 18:09:46

Sorry, my apostrophe fell off.

BooCanary Sat 30-Mar-13 18:15:26

Only a couple of eggs in the GIANT Tescos Extra yesterday.
Couldn't believe it. First year I have left it this late - stuck for storage space so thought I'd buy them late.

Ended up getting stack of creme eggs and big bags of chocolate buttons!

hugoagogo Sat 30-Mar-13 18:16:15

YABU It's the day before, not the week before, of course they are all gone hmm

It's like expecting to buy a turkey on Christmas eve.

Or school uniform on August the 31st.

krasnayaploshad Sat 30-Mar-13 18:16:40

YABU
Easter Saturday is next week. Today is Easter Eve or Holy Saturday.

Horry I have a little crush for your perfect explanation on why today is NOT Easter Saturday. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now