Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think NHS 111 is a fucking joke?

(133 Posts)
NillyNolly Sat 30-Mar-13 07:59:26

I have had the misfortune of experiencing the new NHS 111 service three times in the last week. One of my DC has a compromised immune system so often need out of hours appointments.

Before the 111 service I could call our local out of hours service who would answer straight away, listen to a brief description of symptoms, then make a doctors appointment or get a nurse to call us back. Simple.

With 111 I have waited an average of 20 mins for someone to pick up each time, had to go through all mine and my DS's details about 3 times, then had to answer a series of questions which takes a further 10 minutes ("is he breathing?" ..... Ummm, do you not think I would have perhaps called an ambulance by now if he wasn't....?)

I am so angry and frustrated with this new phone line!!! angry !!!!

Altinkum Sat 30-Mar-13 09:22:38

X2boys, personally I think they are 100% better.

I thought I had slapped cheek, my temp was 41, and I could not get it down, I'd just recoved from double pneumonia, and my chest felt weird, and I could swallow without huge pain (thread here somewhere about it)

I phoned what I thought was thend system, and was told I had to phone 111.

Within 1 hour (give or take) I was assessed, picked up and dropped off at my home and prescription given.

Hawkmoth Sat 30-Mar-13 09:26:18

It lasted one day round here. Would advise trying the OOH number, there are not many places willing to risk the new system over the Easter weekend.

x2boys Sat 30-Mar-13 09:34:11

well you obviously got good service altinkum but NHS Direct once insisted on snding an ambulance all blues and twos for my DH who a severe migraine!

x2boys Sat 30-Mar-13 09:35:09

who had that is

Binkybix Sat 30-Mar-13 09:39:04

There seems to be a section on the NHS choices website that shows how to give feedback on the service you've received. Worth doing that?

Altinkum Sat 30-Mar-13 09:42:26

Well I see there point there tbh, dh uncle, thought hebhasbare acute migraine, turned out he had a brain aneurysm. 4 surgeries later and he's still not out of surgery.

Altinkum Sat 30-Mar-13 09:42:49

*hospital

x2boys Sat 30-Mar-13 09:44:12

sorry altinkum i misread your post i thought you were saying nhs direct were a lot better than 111 not the other way round well i hopr they are cos you cantget much worse than nhs direct!

Softlysoftly Sat 30-Mar-13 09:44:40

Sat reading and thanking my lucky stars yet again for having a gp for a sister in law. Sounds a nightmare.

Also what's the difference between 111 and nhs direct confused

theodorakisses Sat 30-Mar-13 09:45:40

I would never be satisfied with being assessed and treated by a nurse and would certainly not trust them with children. I did the nurse degree and the practitioner training and they were moronic and there is little that they can offer that can't be found out by googling. Why can't doctors see people anymore?

Altinkum Sat 30-Mar-13 09:46:53

Nothing I don't think softly just supposed to be a new improved service, which for me it is.

X2boys, tbh I didn't use nhs direct, so I couldn't compare them, but I do rate 111 from my experience.

phantomhairpuller Sat 30-Mar-13 09:47:42

I've just been 'in a queue' with them for the last 15 minutes so have given up. Absolute crap angry

I haven't used 111 but I have used that harmoni ooh service. Now that's a joke. Told by nhs direct to get straight down there even though our appointment wasn't for a few hours. Lovely lady said shed phone ahead and say we were coming down and try to get us seen much sooner. Say in the virtually empty waiting room for two hours being ignored, receptionist constantly telling us we were next then denying she had said it. Ended up giving up completely walking round the corner to A&E who triaged and admitted instantly and gave her a nebuliser. Will never use again!!

creamteas Sat 30-Mar-13 09:48:46

As I understand it the 111 system went out to tender and is being operated by different people in different parts of the country.

In many areas it is staffed by non-clinically trained call centre workers. They have no option but to follow the questions on the screen, and if you give an answer which isn't an option they don't know what to do (this happened to us).

Where I live, very few people get through to the OOH service anymore, and everyone is now turning up at A&E because they are desperate. Recently the ambulances were waiting for hours at our local hospital as they could not fit any more people in angry

It is a complete shambles......

Hawkmoth Sat 30-Mar-13 09:49:17

NHSD is nurse led with clinical triage, 111 uses a non-clinical computer system staffed by non-clinicians which leads you to either advice or referral to another service, like OOH, nurse advice, taking paracetamol, A&E or your own GP in a week. There are lots of different end points.

Some areas have had 111 for a while and it's quite bedded in, others started last week, albeit briefly in some cases.

111 does tend to be more risk averse than NHSD, which is why there are the headlines about people getting 999 for hiccups etc.

creamteas Sat 30-Mar-13 09:49:58

softly NHS direct and OOH service are being merged into 111

Welovegrapes Sat 30-Mar-13 09:54:10

Altinkum your post is hilarious.

First you say 111 is 100% improved, then you say you never actually used NHS direct? hmm

x2boys Sat 30-Mar-13 09:57:18

no i agree ooh often use nurse not dr,s and with all due respect [ and i.m a registered nurse] i think patients should always be seen by a dr when my son had a severe chest infection just before xmas a couple of years ago we couldnt get a dr,s apointment for love nor money and they kept directing us to ooh promising he would be seen by a dr, he never was and just because his symptons did nt tick all her little boxes she would nt prescribe antibiotics when we eventually saw our gp he put him on antibiotics straight away and guess what he was fine in a couple of days i think ooh actually hindered his recovery.

Methe Sat 30-Mar-13 10:09:35

Nhsd and 111 use exactly the same system, same computer program's and the same staff in the same buildings. If you get told to ring 111 as your out of area you might ring back in and get someone who's sat a desk away from the person you spoke to originally.

People really do ring Nhsd/111 for, what you it I might think are obviously, heart attacks, strokes, life threatening breathing difficulties, unconscious babies, and conversely splinters, blackheads, genital warts and the fact that they've eaten a yoghert a day past its sell by date. People can be really thick but you have to remember that a person ringing in with a husband with chushing chest pains, radiating arm pain, breathlessness, vomiting is fucking terrified and not thinking straight. That is ok.

Personally I can't see what was wrong with nhs direct.

Altinkum Sat 30-Mar-13 10:30:13

I've never used it, my dh and sister have, I can have a opinion on something without ever experiencing it first hand, shockingly!!

I'm glad you find it hilarious, personally I think you humour is shocking, I'd rather leave humour of things that are funny, not when people need and seek medical attention!!!

slategrayticktock Sat 30-Mar-13 10:35:52

We have had NHS 111 for a little while here. I've not had any problems. The last 4 time I phoned Someone answered the phone within minutes and three times we have had an appointment. (One was for 3hours later but the OOH DR wouldn't see me as my health problem was too severe for him (rare brain disorder) but he phoned up and arranged A&E to see me, another was for 3hours later at A&E with 2 week old DD2 but the OOH DR brought it forward, the third was within 1hour for DD1). The other time we phoned we were told we had to see our GP withing 24 hours and if we couldn't get in to see a GP they would arrange an appointment for us.

We had loads of problems with NHS Direct. So did a lot of people who I have spoke with.

Welovegrapes Sat 30-Mar-13 10:37:12

Altinkum the reason I thought it was funny is that all over the country, people are having real problems with this service. This is a major issue.

You blithely come on and say ooh no, it's 100% better ... But I never actually used the old service..

Altinkum Sat 30-Mar-13 10:44:43

And your point being...

My neice when about 2 had a tempature and was currently on anti b, they said she was fine just keep giving her pain meds to control temp, turned out she had bronchitis, clearly they can't diagnose over the phone but she needed medical attention, and they just told her to sit still, a few hours later they had to call a ambulance.

Ds had banged his head and they told him to keep him awake, even tho it was way past his bedtime, the advice was outdated, we allowed him to sleep with us.

Unless you just want all the experiences to be bad, my "experience of nhs d to that of 111 is 100% better.

I'm not, by going to give my opinion on my experience of 111 just because their is some people who have disliked the waiting times or the service.

The service and experience I got from this service was first class!

Neighbourhoodwatchbitch Sat 30-Mar-13 10:56:42

It's all going to be 111. Nhs direct was turned off in bucks this week. I work in a hospital... And can say 111 is a complete farce. Paramedics are not happy at all with it!

neighbour I'm bucks- is that true? Is it gone? It's 111 only???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now