Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Snoring!

(18 Posts)
survivingwinter Sat 30-Mar-13 11:18:24

Oh gosh I empathise! My sleep has been disturbed for years by DH snoring especially if he has a cold or catarrah (a lot!) and he generally has the same attitude about me overreacting!

I would do anything for a separate room but we don't have one. At the moment I'm thinking about buying a sofa bed for DS' s room because I do need the occasional full nights sleep sad

Good luck with the strips - hope they help!

Airwalk79 Sat 30-Mar-13 08:21:39

Thanks for all your replys! Am now assured that its not me being a cow.

He did wake the baby up so then I had a real paddy and he seemed to stop after that. If he's on his back its worse, if I can get him to roll on his front its not so bad.
Il go to asda today for the strips. Iv thought about ear plugs but then what if one of the kids are shouting me :-/
Baby is still in with us, the spare room is currently full of junk. The tip is near asda so I'm going to make a start on it today. I got the kids up at 6 and took him to work so I could have the car.
He said its not his fault and I'm over reacting. Il show him over reacting when he's on his own in bed!

Mawgatron Sat 30-Mar-13 07:29:46

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Snoring/Pages/Treatment.aspx
This link outlines some of the different types of snoring and things you can ask him to do. I am the snorer in our relationship and DH is the one who has to suffer. I feel awful about it as there are some mornings where he gets really grumpy from lack of sleep blush

Weissbier Sat 30-Mar-13 07:02:23

My DH's snoring is terrible. He has to sleep in the sitting room right now as I can't cope with being pregnant and getting woken up by the snoring as well. He Is on a diet now to see if losing weight will help, if not he'll go back to the doctor. He is trying!

If your OH won't cooperate then you need a bed in the baby's room, or he needs one somewhere else. As Pollypandemonium says he's got to learn that it isn't personal but you just can't sleep with him like that.

anonymosity Sat 30-Mar-13 03:43:21

Haha about checking the baby's hearing. My two sleep thu everything.

pollypandemonium Sat 30-Mar-13 00:44:18

Go for separate rooms if it's that bad. The years of sleep deprivation I put up with when mine were little. We sleep apart now and it's fine. It upset his manly pride at first but he accepts it now.

Fanjango Sat 30-Mar-13 00:42:19

Sorry for the typos...crap battery operated keyboard and forgot to check before I posted blush

HoppinMad Sat 30-Mar-13 00:41:48

I can sympathise op. My dh makes the strangest grunting whistling sounds in his sleep, and in the early days I would end up awake till 3,4 am nearly in tears and wanting to strangle the fecker.

He is now fast asleep in the spare room, no doubt snoring away while i cuddle dc2 smile he makes the cutest grunts in his sleep but i really dont mind those.

Fanjango Sat 30-Mar-13 00:41:05

My DP used to snore like a freight train, he had his tnsils removed, his....soft wobbly bit at the back of throat, reduced and...hey presto very little snoring!! He nearly lost his driving licence through sleep apnoea but ths surgery stopped this and the snoring!!

EllaFitzgerald Sat 30-Mar-13 00:39:49

You have my sympathy. Tonight, my DH appears to have been replaced by the Gruffalo.

Salmotrutta Sat 30-Mar-13 00:33:48

I used to think I never snored.

Until DH told me I did.

Gooeyhead Sat 30-Mar-13 00:31:51

Tut tut tut - try that!!! I mean say out aloud tut tut (like your tutting at something) if that makes sense!!! Someone told me years ago to try that.. It works in this house, in fact it's working right now!!

These are excellent. DH snores so badly I feel like I'm sleeping next to Foghorn Leghorn! We bought these in Asda after a particularly bad night, hmm and they do work. I also keep ear plugs under my pillow for when there is a breakthrough snore.

thenightsky Sat 30-Mar-13 00:16:11

The baby does well to sleep through it OP. Have you had her/his hearing checked? grin

aldiwhore Sat 30-Mar-13 00:15:13

LTB

or

Hit him hard, keep poking him until he wakes up grumpy and tell him to get the fuck out of bed and go sleep on the sofa. DH does it now without fully waking, the training has worked.

The tape didn't work for my DH.

His work colleague (who he spends a lot of time with out of the country, sharing hotel suites) has been known to make a nest for himself in the bath to escape the noise.

Much as I disprove of forcing someone to move when it's easier to move yourself, you've the baby to consider and therefore your DH has to go elsewhere. There's absolutely no point TELLING him, he's not doing it intentionally, but you need an agreement that he moves not you. The agreement can be sealed with evidence, film him on your phone, show him the next day, threaten to post on FB. Probably U, but has worked for me.

anonymosity Sat 30-Mar-13 00:11:03

The go across the bridge, not over the nostrils, obviously grin

anonymosity Sat 30-Mar-13 00:10:34

THere are these nose plasters you can get in the USA which somehow work at stopping the snoring - or work for reducing the actual noise of the snoring. Can you investigate this at Boots? I got my Dh some and he used them for months and then when we ran out he had actually stopped snoring (for the most part).

Airwalk79 Sat 30-Mar-13 00:03:44

I know I proberbly am being unreasonable, but its like sleeping with some form of tractor engine in the bed! Or not sleeping as the case may be.

Iv gently nudged, babe roll over. Iv poked hard and told him, nothing works!
now I'm considering to sofa! But then what about the baby, who's in our room. My ears are crap, if baby wakes ill never hear from downstairs.

I'm seriously considering that when we sort out the spare room for baby, I also insist on having a spare bed in there. But I know ill get, I don't even snore, I was knackerd, don't be like that with me.

Im bloody knackerd and I'm going to be like something with him if I don't get to sleep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now