To wonder if my friend is completely taking the piss?

(49 Posts)
Gossipmonster Fri 29-Mar-13 22:20:05

Went out for the day today with my friend, her child and my 3DC.

We came back to my house where I cooked a meal for everyone.

While we were waiting for the meal to cook the kids (all teenage) occupied themselves while my friend and I had a glass of wine.

She then asked if she could watch Neighbours - her "guilty pleasure". She knows I never watch any soaps. I said yea okay if you must.

While she did that I made a fire as she complained she was cold, and continued with dinner.

After Neighbours she watched Home and Away while I joked about turning it off, and said why do you want the TV on.

Two of my DC's came in after that and sat down and turned it over to friends, which she complained about massively. I then sent a couple of texts to my partner who is supposed to be on patrol with the RN but has been delayed, saw him for 2 days this week after 5 weeks apart and he is supposed to have gone away for 15 weeks with no contact and now will be next week. She complained constantly about wanting to watch Corrie as "I was in my phone".

She left later and I text her to see if she got home safe she replied "yes thanks, you were some what preoccupied but always here for you".

WFT?

How do I respond?

Whatalotofpiffle Sat 30-Mar-13 14:01:06

Just re read OP and are you sure she was even referring to you texting? Maybe she just meant on general during the day, which maybe you were if RN posting on your mind

saulaboutme Sat 30-Mar-13 12:43:26

Sorry typos, touch phone

saulaboutme Sat 30-Mar-13 12:41:53

I hate this. she sounds like a soap addict! I don't watch soaps either but I know slot if people who do and the world stops when they are on.
Anyhow, I definitely think you should say to her that she hasn't appreciated the end of your day together.
if she wanted to watch her guilty pleasure she should have gone home, especially as she wanted the TV all to herself.
she's used you texting your partner as an excuse.
I was at a friends house recently and another friend was there who was in a massive silk because she couldn't get the TV to work to watch Neighbours . My friend had her elderly mum there who was already saying it was nice to sit and chat without distractions but she didn't care. I was so mad at her attitude and I actually left.
I'd tell your friend to think about what she's saying and next time you won't bother with dinner and she can go home.

Whatalotofpiffle Sat 30-Mar-13 11:27:10

Bloody text messages are always read wrong. I am a cm and the amount of time I spend reading, re reading, deliberating over replies when I think a parent has been out of order etc etc

Ring her x

RenterNomad Sat 30-Mar-13 09:37:13

Hmm... those FB and twitter buttons are winking away... Has anyone got MI5 following her/him on twitter?! grin

LondonKitty Sat 30-Mar-13 08:04:44

Yes, I think FamiliesShareGerms is right. Your friend's text sounds like she totally didn't register you were miffed, although it is understandable that you were. I think in this situation, you both perceived things differently.

Spynet sounds fun btw...

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 30-Mar-13 07:51:11

This is one of those situations where no-one can really tell who was BU. Sounds like you were both pre-occupied. If you're good friends you'll get over it. maddening's text sounds like a good idea to mend fences.

TobyLerone Sat 30-Mar-13 07:48:54

Actually, I was on your side until I saw your replies and humphy faces to bugdem. Now it's made me wonder whether you are always so quick to get arsey.

maddening Sat 30-Mar-13 07:40:52

I'd reply "I know - next time it's a takeout and no tv so we can catch up properly - I love our catch ups smile you get to choose the vino gossip x"

Pagwatch Sat 30-Mar-13 06:11:50

Hahaha @ spysnet

Chottie Sat 30-Mar-13 06:11:10

OP I would ignore the text and all the other snippy comments on this thread

Gossipmonster Sat 30-Mar-13 06:06:38

Bugdem are you my friend? hmm

pigletpower Sat 30-Mar-13 01:00:20

Bugdem-for fucks sake, this is hardly Bletchley Park is it?!hmm

Viviennemary Sat 30-Mar-13 00:23:22

Reply sorry I was to pre-occupied cooking your meal and making sure you were warm. What an ungrateful pain she sounds.

AgentZigzag Sat 30-Mar-13 00:15:51

Not found the Mi5 forum acronym list yet Coco?

You deciding to go shopping instead of going to the How To Talk Spy course really tells.

Coconutty Fri 29-Mar-13 23:34:38

I'm a spy and as soon as I've worked out what RN stands for, I'm telling Red Squirrel.

Gossipmonster Fri 29-Mar-13 23:25:37

I was in the room.

AgentZigzag Fri 29-Mar-13 23:18:27

Maybe it could be read like that flojo, that she was saying she could tell the OP was stressed at knowing she's not going to be in contact with her DH for so long, which could explain why she just took herself off to watch the telly and get out from under the OPs feet?

Flojobunny Fri 29-Mar-13 23:14:47

Don't see what your problem is OP. You spent the whole day with her and she watched telly while u were host. She sent you at text offering support. What exactly is the problem?

Gossipmonster Fri 29-Mar-13 23:06:57

Really? bugdem my OH knows where they are going but he would never be so unprofessional as to tell me.

And I am pretty sure any terrorists/spies will not be on Mumsnet to garner what little vague info I give on here. smile

bugdem Fri 29-Mar-13 23:02:42

Not a high chance admittedly but still a risk none the less.

I can answer 2 of your 3 questions gossip however wouldn't do so on a public forum. Unfortunately only David Cameron and the Captain can tell you where they are going.

QuintEggSensuality Fri 29-Mar-13 22:59:51

How about replying: "Thats a bit rich coming from the person who insisted on watching 3-4 soaps while I was waiting for wall paper to start peeling of boredom"

Gossipmonster Fri 29-Mar-13 22:57:50

Quite hmm

AgentZigzag Fri 29-Mar-13 22:56:58

<gets on fb to Rusky handlers>

AgentZigzag Fri 29-Mar-13 22:56:29

It'd be a very sad spy who had to resort to MN to get details of what the RN are up to bugdem grin

You'd hope they'd be gunning for something a bit more definite and helpful than sketchy details which could have been changed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now