To not understand why some people have everyone bum licking them and running around after them?

(54 Posts)
GreenJeans Fri 29-Mar-13 22:15:24

And they're usually very self centred people too, with everyone falling over themselves to be their friend and to kiss their arse!

I know two people who are like this; they are both my friends in real life and they are also on my Facebook friends list. Both seem to do various attention seeking statuses each day, and make very little effort for others. Both have people falling over themselves to tell them how wonderful they are and how much they love them. And people always saying they want to meet up with them.

One in particular seems to have quite a dramatic life, well I think she finds drama in everything. She just has to post she's broken a toe nail and people are outraged on her behalf, offering her hugs and asking if there's anything she can do to help.

I don't get it. How do these people collect friends/hangers on?

Fleecyslippers Fri 29-Mar-13 22:16:29

Delete them from FB then you won't have to worry.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Fri 29-Mar-13 22:17:08

grin at 'broken a toe nail'.

Sorry, not helpful, I know.

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 29-Mar-13 22:17:24

Are you jealous? Do you need attention?

GreenJeans Fri 29-Mar-13 22:17:32

I can't; I know them both in real life, and see them all the time (school run)

OHforDUCKScake Fri 29-Mar-13 22:18:05

I know exactly what you mean.

Always I think who are all the AwwHuns that keep replying. Are they not normal?

GreenJeans Fri 29-Mar-13 22:18:24

I don't know, InNeedofBrandy. I do often feel I don't have a single person in the world who gives a shit about me, apart from DH.

YouTheCat Fri 29-Mar-13 22:18:25

If deleting them would be awkward (not that these types would notice if you did tbh), then just hide all their posts.

hopefloats Fri 29-Mar-13 22:18:29

This is why I don't Facebook anymore. Go on, try it. There is more to life than reading nonsense posted by those brainless fuckers.

greencolorpack Fri 29-Mar-13 22:18:29

I can relate, I have an old school friend like that... She clicks her fingers and four of our old friend gang come running. If I throw a party and invite them, if this friend comes they all come. If she doesn't come, they all don't come. And I invite them all at the same time on Facebook so I don't know how they all psychically know about what the alpha friend thinks of my parties. But sure enough if she comes they all do.

I don't get it either.

Fleecyslippers Fri 29-Mar-13 22:19:36

You 'can't ? What will happen if you don't ? Will the world stop turning ?How old are you/they ?

GreenJeans Fri 29-Mar-13 22:20:11

OhforDUCKScake, I always think the same thing. Who are these people? Why are they so taken in by it all? And where do they all keep appearing from?

One friend did a status today about having a cough and got 68 replies! 68! Half of them were from mums at the school asking if there's anything they can do to help. I guarantee if I posted about feeling ill none would bother with me or one might say "Oh dear" or something equally unsympathetic

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 29-Mar-13 22:20:33

Maybe you need to make up some funny statuses (did I spell that right) and find that warm fuzzy feeling of people liking your posts grin. I actually love that feeling and do count my likes ('_')

HollyBerryBush Fri 29-Mar-13 22:21:16

"bum licking" is a phrase my 12yo would use

YouTheCat Fri 29-Mar-13 22:22:36

Mine would have said 'arse-licking', at 12. grin

GreenJeans Fri 29-Mar-13 22:22:43

I like the phrase 'bum licking'. I think it's extremely descriptive....

GreenJeans Fri 29-Mar-13 22:23:07

That's what it is, after all

aldiwhore Fri 29-Mar-13 22:26:36

Hmm FB is a bugger. I make a lot of statuses that I openly admit (on the status itself) are unashamedly attention seeking.. but it's all done tongue in cheek. FB is odd, people call each other DHARLLLLINK but then avoid each other in RL (although I call people Dharlink in both world, at least I'm consistent). I am also a drama queen, self confessed, openly... it's the stealthy ones you want to watch I reckon.

However, I do know a few not very nice people who DO seem to have the wolrd falling at their feet, otherwise strong intelligent women thrusting themselves into puddles so Queen Bee doesn't get her pedicured feet dirty, and it IS all a bit cringey, and I just don't get it.

I put it down to Jedi Force. If you expect and demand a certain mode of behaviour, if you belittle openly those who fall short, you do gather a following of people who are either desperate to be accepted, or desparate to prove they're worthy, or equally as horrible, or just scared to be picked on, or simply those who just don't wanted any hassle.

It's not genuine. In my experience, when a queen falls she falls alone, and actually it's very sad to watch, in an almost 'told you so' way.

FB isn't the problem, people are, and people bring normal problems into your living room. Tis entertaining so long as you're not the target of amusement by a Queen Bee. Ignoring them is the best policy. (HIDE, don't BLOCK... not if you have mutual friends).

GreenJeans Fri 29-Mar-13 22:28:23

Very good points there, Aldiwhore!

I think you are right; these people attract people that are desperate to be accepted, or who are too nice, and then everyone starts replying because everyone else seems to be replying and they want to be part of it all.

HollyBerryBush Fri 29-Mar-13 22:29:40

they get 68 replies and you get none? Well therein layeth the tale ; they are popular and people like them.

TheEasterQODdy Fri 29-Mar-13 22:33:17

I have a friend who today announced she hasn't been on for ages due to "significant health issues"

There are about 70 responses now, some of which are her saying "ah thanks babe" etc

Twat

GreenJeans Fri 29-Mar-13 22:34:28

Annoying isn't it TheEaster? Cringey to read at times

CharmingCats Fri 29-Mar-13 22:35:26

I've also stopped facebooking. It's quite liberating! My reasons arer similar to what you mention, but also I'm ttc and don't want to look at all the babies/scans etc. I am now living very happily without the drivel & self love.

TheEasterQODdy Fri 29-Mar-13 22:35:55

Yup, and no one has outright asked, and I can't comment cos I want to say, you know, it's been hmmmm about 8 days, no one missed you and well.... Meow. Stop me.

You talk about your 'friends' (your words) like this?

Hmm maybe this is why you aren't as popular - you sound jealous and your post is quite bitch. If you give off that vibe in person you may be sabotaging yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now