to hope jk rowling got a credit for the new cadburys ad

(25 Posts)

Harry Potter like Tolkien? Seriously? And there aren't many stories around which don't have similarities with hundreds of others which have gone before. As for the Jill Murphy comparison - what nonsense - they are silly, boring and simplistic. Some people just like to slag things off because they are (justifiably) popular imo.

YouTheCat Sat 30-Mar-13 15:54:18

Apart from the Dark Lord. Inferi and the whole giant spider thing have been alive and well in legend and folklore though.

I'm not sure what she could have used as an alternative to Dark Lord? Maybe 'shadowed' or something. grin

Oh she totally ripped off Tolkein with the inferi, the giant spiders, the 'Dark Lord' etc, but can't say I've noticed any Jill Murphy references!

YouTheCat Sat 30-Mar-13 15:46:44

Yes, I expect they do. Also Rowling has said in an interview a while ago that she got the name Dumbledore from the old English for bumble bee.

How is it shameless ripping off?

I've read a lot of Tolkein and don't really see much similarity tbh. Also Tolkein took a lot from legend and folklore. It doesn't mean he was ripping anyone off.

MaBumble Sat 30-Mar-13 15:33:37

JKR shamelessly ripped off lots of authors - fantasy & non fantasy alike, from Tolkien, to Enid Blyton to Dianne Whynne Jones http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrestomanci

Do they all get a credit? smile

PoppyAmex Sat 30-Mar-13 15:31:09

I really enjoyed Harry Potter but after reading Dianne Wynne Jones, i was a bit shocked with the blatant similarities.

Punkatheart Sat 30-Mar-13 15:27:05

Exactly. A name picked up via Hardy and maybe other Victorian authors. A well-read girl, absorbing things throughout her life and then recycling to great effect...

YouTheCat Sat 30-Mar-13 14:25:43

Dumbledore is the old English name for a bumblebee.

Punkatheart Sat 30-Mar-13 08:24:35

Rowling just put a spin on classicism. You will find the name Dumbledore in Thomas Hardy.

MrsLouisTheroux Sat 30-Mar-13 08:21:31

Very little is original.
This advert re-packages ideas/images just as JK herself has done in all of her books.

YouTheCat Sat 30-Mar-13 00:57:47

But might not cover everyone who has been an influence. I read so many different author's books as a kid and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to remember them all and credit them all if I was creative enough to have come up with something like HP.

YouTheCat Sat 30-Mar-13 00:56:04

Exactly, Yaimee. Not 'ripping off' though or 'pinching'. She does credit who she has been influenced by.

yaimee Sat 30-Mar-13 00:55:01

xpost with aldi who put it much better than I did!

yaimee Sat 30-Mar-13 00:53:39

I think Rowling herself admits she was heavily influenced by folklore, mythology and took ideas from plays like Macbeth (the self fulfilling prophecy) and the Iliad (cedrics body being returned), I think she also took the idea for the tale of the three brothers from Chauser.
She admits all of this though, and I would say that most fantasy is influenced by folklore and mythology, its all about the authors interpretation and retelling and I think she does a very good job!

YouTheCat Sat 30-Mar-13 00:51:57

Would you credit every author you had ever read as they might, potentially, have influenced your style or subject matter?

I don't think so.

aldiwhore Sat 30-Mar-13 00:50:06

Did Rowling credit Tolkein and every one else?

If so YANBU.

I like HP, but it stands very firmly on the shoulders of many other giants (as did Tolkein in many ways - folklore etc., )

I don't really credit people for their original ideas, but how they put them down, their storytelling, and she's a marvelous storyteller (without it even coming close to ruining those what went before).

YABU for not seeing past Harry Potter.

HazeltheMcWitch Sat 30-Mar-13 00:39:57

Odd, I heard 'Creamy, creamy', and thought the Mary Whitehouse Experience's Milky milky.

And also thought it was erring a bit on the suggestive side, then told myself off for having my mind in the gutter.

YouTheCat Sat 30-Mar-13 00:32:16

Really? How? confused

And yes, I have read Roald Dahl and Jill Murphy books a plenty.

If you're going to libel someone, how about backing it up with some actual facts?

Iheartcows Fri 29-Mar-13 23:46:24

Totally ripped off Jill Murphy......

yaimee Fri 29-Mar-13 23:43:47

I though Willy Wonka too.
She did 'pinched' ideas from all sorts of places, wouldn't say she rewrote Tolkien though, I can think of loads of places that she borrowed from much more heavily.

TeamEdward Fri 29-Mar-13 22:43:32

JK only rewrote Tolkein anyway...

ThreeWheelsGood Fri 29-Mar-13 22:38:11

Huh? Made me think of Willy wonka. Anyway, JK Rowling ripped off loads of other authors.

CocacolaMum Fri 29-Mar-13 21:46:22

Nah, its not like she ever credited the people she borrowed her ideas from is it?

YouTheCat Fri 29-Mar-13 20:39:18

She'd probably rather have the chocolate. grin

hugoagogo Fri 29-Mar-13 20:36:46

I mean secret keeper, the mannequin in the shop window, little carts on rails, piles of treasure at one point too.

Individually it's nothing: but altogether in one ad?

So harry potter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now