Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think I should be allowed to have a mushroom free meal?

(87 Posts)

I know it's petty but here goes.
I don't like mushrooms, never have. I'm 22+3 weeks PG and DH is cooking lasagne. He asked if he could put mushrooms in and I said if you absolutely must then can you chop them really small cos I really can't bear the texture. He just sliced them. I'm pissed off. I'm hungry, was looking forward to lasagne a d now I'm just going to be miserable and ungrateful that he cooked. AIBU or is he a selfish arse?

PS last night he put mushrooms in peppercorn sauce so I had steak with no sauce - which was fine with me...

specialsubject Fri 29-Mar-13 19:16:58

YABU. Pick them out.

Annunziata Fri 29-Mar-13 19:17:41

Why on god's green earth is he putting mushrooms in lasagne? confused

Anyway. Either say, no, you don't want them in, or pick them out.

ouryve Fri 29-Mar-13 19:18:19

DH shares your aversion. If they're too big for him, he just picks them out.

YANBU Shrooms are vile and shouldn't be eaten. Why anyone eats them I don't know.

HollyBerryBush Fri 29-Mar-13 19:18:50

YABU.

If this were posted by a woman talking about her male partner, the majority opinion would be - cook it your bloody self.

I have little truck with faddy eaters. If you can eat them diced up, you can eat them sliced, ergo you are faddy.

VestaCurry Fri 29-Mar-13 19:19:30

Ooh, another mushroom thread, yum!

Kansas Fri 29-Mar-13 19:19:41

LTB.

Seriously. Although I'm pissy about food when I'm not pregnant! You could just pick them out though

BitBewildered Fri 29-Mar-13 19:21:04

I hate mushrooms too, because of the texture. YADNBU!

karatekimmi Fri 29-Mar-13 19:21:31

Nope when you're carrying someone else's child then they should bow down to your every whim! I hit the roof when "D"H had the audacity to put hot pepper sauce in the pasta sauce. It gave me indigestion for hours!! He had a lot if grovelling to do! Mainly making chic spread and biscuit sandwiches!

However if you said he could then there is the problem. "No the baby doesn't like mushrooms" is a better answer <grin>

Yama Fri 29-Mar-13 19:21:33

Ooh, my second mushroom thread of the night.

YANBU - Mushrooms are a fungus. You wouldn't eat Athlete's Foot would you?

You are allowed to have a mushroom free meal, of course you are. You just need to go cook it. grin You're not allergic, and slices are far easier to pick out than small pieces.

YANBU to be annoyed about it though, I'm 15+3 and feeling very stabby about far more petty things!

karatekimmi Fri 29-Mar-13 19:22:11

Choc spread!!! Not sure I'd want chic spread even if it is Easter!!

JollyYellowGiant Fri 29-Mar-13 19:22:48

Pick them out and put each one on his plate.

DH would like mushrooms more often, but I do the bulk of the shopping so I simply don't buy them

I will pick em out but that going to be a 'mare in lasagne... It's not a normal
Lasagne ingredient is it?!?

I know I'm petty but AIU when I'm upduffed and therefore more particular and fussy than normal?!
Maybe I'll just eat biscuit's wink

kinkyfuckery Fri 29-Mar-13 19:24:09

So you eat them, but only cut a certain way? confused

Cook it your bloody self.

Surely if they are 'too big', you can pick them out?

You are pregnant.

You are entitled to be as fussy, unreasonable, picky and flouncy as you like.

HollyBerryBush Fri 29-Mar-13 19:27:01

Mushrooms do go in lasagne.

>looks @ you lot oddly<

kinky my point is I can't bear the texture - if they're small enough I don't notice.
Thanks all, seems the majority think I should cook every night rather than the 6 days a week I do cook. Glad to know I'm not the only mushroom hater tho ;-)

HumphreyCobbler Fri 29-Mar-13 19:30:19

I wouldn't put in an ingredient my DH hated into a meal.

youmaycallmeSSP Fri 29-Mar-13 19:31:22

DH doesn't like mushrooms; I love them. I consequently only eat mushrooms when we're eating out. I sometimes feel a little sad that I don't get to try out yummy-looking meals at home but in the scheme of things it doesn't really matter. So YANBU.

YANBU - I hate them to although if I am cooking I leave them really big (1/4's) and they are easy to chuck at pass to DH with little danger of me accidentally eating one. DH has been trained to do the same when cooking if he wants to be allowed the hateful things.

They are the work of the devil - like eating rubbers with about the same taste I should imagine.

cantspel Fri 29-Mar-13 19:34:30

HumphreyCobbler my oh doesn't like any veg apart from potatoes. Does that mean i should never cook anything with veg in it just because he wants to be a fussy begger?

LittleBearPad Fri 29-Mar-13 19:37:42

YANBU. I don't mind mushrooms but they do have a fairly unique texture that DH hates so I tend not to cook with them.

Plus they do NOT belong in lasagne.

Jengnr Fri 29-Mar-13 19:37:46

Only wrong 'uns don't like mushrooms.

However it isn't unreasonable to expect food you hate to not be served to you by your partner. But you said he could put them in. So it's 2-1 to him in my book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now