Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that people who use the term Hollibobs

(294 Posts)
GogoGobo Fri 29-Mar-13 16:50:28

For holiday are twats?

Blu Thu 04-Apr-13 18:59:34

I turn down strong drink at a family friend's house because I can't bring myself to say 'yes please' to the offer of 'drinkypoos' or 'a little snifter' or 'a pre-prandial'. And yet strong drink is exactly what it drives me too.

Creamtea1 Thu 04-Apr-13 18:33:08

I think it's already been mentioned but anyone who actually uses LMFAO should be put down immediately.
After a quick scan of shitebook I do believe that is 90% to blame for all these words - a lot of people type this crap but don't actually say it in real life....which brings us on to a whole new thread - those that have a FB persona which is totally (totes) different to their RL one...for example, the one that posts 20 statuses a day and goes on about oh it's wine o clock, oh I got so pissed, oh I'm soooo hungover, plus further use of crappy phrases and drivel - maybe some of it on the slightly aggressive side to show how they just totally don't care etc. AND then in real life - barely say boo to a goose...

elQuintoConyo Thu 04-Apr-13 17:00:02

Hollibobs? Christ alive what is this abomination?

After telling a totes hilair Findus/horse joke, one utter knob-jockey said - actually SAID, not typed: "oh, elQuinto, absolute roflcopter!"

Reader, I smothered him to death with a vampire's teabag and am now on the lam!!!!!!!!!

TalkativeJim Thu 04-Apr-13 12:50:18

I don't mind lush, we used to say that in the eighties.

Felchybobs winds me right up though.

shockers Thu 04-Apr-13 12:43:22

Gobbolino (love your name, it was a favourite book of mine as a child), It's old folk like me who remember Basil Brush that do the 'Boom!' thing.

I usually 'Boom!' x 2 blush.

Or even 'Boom-tish!' blush blush.

I have used the term holibobs blush

<Hangs head in shame>

<Gives back mn membership>

sad

grin

Gobbolinothewitchscat Thu 04-Apr-13 10:27:35

woop woop <froths at the mouth>

That takes me neatly on to "meh". What the fuck does that actually mean?! Also people saying "can of whoop ass" and similar?! Normally one of the middle aged mentallers after "wine o'clock".

worra - I have to disagree re your boss though. I love "far out brussell sprout". In fact I said it to DH last night after he unblocked the waste disposal and booked the flights for our "holibobs" grin

I think he'd be a natural on this thread as he was hmm....before saying "riiiiggghhht" grin

Actually, speaking of holibobs, one of DH's nurses is proudly telling patients that she is off to "Lanzagrotty" in June. So that's 30 patients a day for three months until she goes. I think he may have to euthanasize her before then. grin

One fabulous patient yesterday must be a MNetters said passive aggressively "excuse me, do you know it's actually pronounced "lanzarote". It's not put her off though.

vlad - I think that's permitted. As long as you don't start saying "ruddy"!

vladthedisorganised Thu 04-Apr-13 09:49:52

I have to admit to mincing oaths in front of DD. It even annoys me. "Oh.. bu..whoops-a-daisy, you just knocked that full glass of squash all over the floor! For the fourth time in the last f.... fifty minutes! And it's a complete ba... an awful lot to clean up! DON'T STAND IN IT otherwise I'll have to wash your bl... essed socks as well!"

What I actually want to say is rather different, of course, and what I use at work would be different again.

There's also twee shortening of friends'/ partners' names on FB as a general annoyance. "Marky-mark my lubbly hubbly is taking me for cheeky drinkypoos and munchies while the kiddies are with grandma!!!! Woop-woop!!!!" See, the exclamation marks are always a good barometer.

ComposHat Thu 04-Apr-13 00:46:46

Gobbolin

I hate most minced oaths: Bleddy, ruddy, feck, fricking sugar and use of terms like 'the C word' or F*

Smacks of someone with overly delicate sensibilities - 'oh my golly gosh. I can't bring myself to type that dreadful word.

If you mean Cunt type 'Cunt' not some euphamism or disguise it behind adterisks and have the courage of your convictions.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Wed 03-Apr-13 22:23:39

People who say "boom" at the end of what they think is an amusing anecdote that's not about rockets

I'm not quite sure why people say this. But it's very annoying

Gobbolinothewitchscat Wed 03-Apr-13 22:21:27

Oh God...... "Bleddy".

Gobbolinothewitchscat Wed 03-Apr-13 22:20:23

People who say "such fun" or any other lines from fucking Miranda

MeAndMySpoon Wed 03-Apr-13 22:09:53

Mmm, yes. Hollibobbers need to be keeeeled. It's a sort of upper-middle class thing, isn't it? (disclaimer, have only ever come across twats saying 'hollibobs' in crap novels.)

I used to spend a fair bit of time in Cyprus and there was a type of posh, aged, English ex-pat there who would say 'Nickers' for Nicosia. It made me ever so stabby. :-)

earlgreyplease Wed 03-Apr-13 22:03:21

Soz but we have always called the remote control 'the wanker' (obv not in front of the kiddywinks or les onfs) and have friends who call it the 'cunt roller'.

More sweetly tho my wee one calls it the 'mole controller' which is my abz favey wavey.

Creamtea1 Wed 03-Apr-13 21:47:41

louiswalsh you're definetly a contenderbobs...
kennyp I have seen that mug, and would like one myself - some days it would be better just to say 'I hate everyone' grin

Totally agree that FB statuses and the like about wine o clock, drinking etc are so annoying - you're nearly 40 not 17 love, drinking does not make you cool and popular...hmm

kennyp Wed 03-Apr-13 21:19:44

A friend of mine has a mug which says "i hate everyone i work with" written on it. Am not sure if she got it on prescription or not but i bloody want one.

kennyp Wed 03-Apr-13 21:17:55

I say lush to people i dont like but happen to work with know when i think something is shite but want to be an r slicker just for my own amusement

Glad someone else hates bloody wine o clock. Ooh, ha ha .....wine!! Drunk!!! Stories of hangovers!!!!!!???? Wacky me drinking wine!!!!!! With the girls!!!! Dong! Must be wine o clock!!!!! Twee hee hee, what a raver i am!!!!!!

How about not announcing to the world you are going to have a glass of bloody wine, you daft old bat. (Dd could announce shit o clock as she is a very regular pooher but i dont think it would have the same amount of mirth as the much hysterical peee-bloody-no has.

Rant alert over.

SpanishLady Wed 03-Apr-13 21:17:02

Bit mean this maybe but dh is called Paul, mil and sil insist on calling him paulky.....why? Fuck knows. Sets my teeth on edge

DisorganisednotDysfunctional Wed 03-Apr-13 21:16:38

OMG, have never heard of most of these before. Sorry I clicked. Going off to have supperkins.

IAmLouisWalsh Wed 03-Apr-13 21:11:28

Mmmm - on my holibobs, it's wine o'clock, ickle men all tucked up in cosy beds and hubster made me lush omelette for tea - nomnomnom. Gawjus - luffs him lots like jelly tots.

Do I win the thread?

ThreadWorms Wed 03-Apr-13 20:46:40

Has anyone said 'lush' yet? As in 'just had a lush session at the spa', 'that dinner was lush', 'those shoes are lush'. Lush is only to be used when describing a lawn or field.

Creamtea1 Wed 03-Apr-13 19:04:20

" love you lots like jelly tots"

That just sounds like a paedophile's chat up line. Possibly used on their hollibobs to Thailand.

exactly that

xigris Wed 03-Apr-13 08:21:28

On the subject, anyone who says things like "Happy Wednesday, people!" (Have had a few of those from fb friends) needs a slap too

ChairmanWow Wed 03-Apr-13 07:45:14

Anyone who announces that it's Friday on FB like it's some kind of massive surprise: No more workies, it's Friday!!!! Whoop whoop! You've mastered the days of the week. Have a fucking medal. Twat.

People who call breasts 'chesticles'. First against the wall for me.

MrRected Wed 03-Apr-13 03:34:52

GogoGobo - that was the point grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now