about stupid twatty cyclist I nearly ran over?

(79 Posts)
BumpingFuglies Thu 28-Mar-13 15:46:04

Dickhead on a bike on the path comes zooming round the corner and cycles across the pedestrian crossing. I screech to a halt, he starts swearing at me and throwing his arms around telling me I should look!

I'm not BU. You don't cycle, you get off and walk. Wanker.

BumpingFuglies Fri 29-Mar-13 20:02:03

Thanks lusty

I am a very careful driver, but I cannot predict arseholes on bikes using a pedestrian crossing illegally and then ranting at me. Just wrong.

Poppet48 Fri 29-Mar-13 20:26:07

Sorry that was insensitive of me, It would have affected me too.

Hope your okay.

Poppet48 Fri 29-Mar-13 20:26:21

*you're

Jengnr Fri 29-Mar-13 20:29:22

What is this fastening down business? How can the contents of a handbag cause injury?

HollyBerryBush Fri 29-Mar-13 20:30:45

Cyclists can be utter wankers.... one sailed through a crossing when I was pedestrian on it and a million months pregnant, sent me flying, I 'oiyed' him and he had the audacity to call me a cunt .... I get pissed off every morning with the lycra clad, savloy down his shorts knob I meet on the road every morning who sails through every fecking red light.

In my ideal world I would have a snow plough and mulch him to oblivion.

heggiehog Fri 29-Mar-13 20:35:39

People can be utter wankers.

As a cyclist I have car-drivers try to kill me on a near daily basis. I am cautious and obey the rules of the road but that doesn't stop them from driving the wrong way down one way streets, pulling into cycle lanes, opening car doors before looking. Etc.

There are terrible cyclists and car drivers (some people are both!).

TomArchersSausage Fri 29-Mar-13 20:38:09

Agree with heggie. 100%

paintyourbox Fri 29-Mar-13 20:42:22

I had a cyclist come flying round the corner on the pavement straight into DDs pram. Luckily it's a sturdy pram and she was just shaken. I was so angry- especially because there was a cycle lane running right next to the pavement, he just chose not to use it

My poor sis was hit by a cyclist who ran a red light, she was hit so hard that she was thrown several feet and sustained a broken wrist and severe bruising to her head.

BumpingFuglies Fri 29-Mar-13 20:44:33

Yes, both can be twatty I think. Anyway, having thought about it, my anger has come from worrying that someone may have been hurt. I know the cyclist was at fault, but it would still have devastated me if I'd hurt him.

I'm a pedestrian, so I hate everyone smile

BumpingFuglies Fri 29-Mar-13 20:48:25

sadeyed grin

montage Fri 29-Mar-13 20:55:55

Loose objects in a crash can be lethal. You know those ads about how unrestrained children hit other passengers with a force many times their weight? Same principle with loose objects. People can be killed by first aid boxes on their "parcel shelf". There was a child in America killed recently by a dvd player which was not secured properly.

This link explains it

kansascity.legalexaminer.com/automobile-accidents/did-you-know-lose-items-in-your-car-can-become-deadly-projectiles-in-a-crash.aspx?googleid=283050

DP was in a car crash with DDog a few years ago - DDog had a special seatbelt on that snapped and got fairly bruised. I hate to think what could have happened if she hadn't have had that on.

As a pedestrian, I do have to say there is all sorts of wanky behaviour by car drivers and cyclists alike. But the cyclists wankery tend to stick in your mind more because you think a cyclist is going to be a nicer person, by virtue of the fact that they are cycling.

So when they jump red lights, cycle on the pavement, ignore cycle lanes to ride on the pavement, shoot through red lights on pedestrian crossings, jump on the pavement to speed their way through traffic, shoot round corners on the pavement and ride directly into DD, cycle across PEDESTRIAN crossings at high speed, ride two abreast on the pavement, have no high vis, no lights, no helmets...it does their cause no favour at all.

But that said, an awful lot of car drivers are wankers too. Especially the twat who reversed their car into DDs pushchair when I was crossing the road.

Nattynar Fri 29-Mar-13 23:11:07

Hopefloats - so you spend you life driving at 15mph just in case a child, granny, cyclist might threaten to jump in front of you from 50 metres away.

Everyday I have to deal with cyclist who clearly have a death wish, and no regard for other road users or pedestrians! They are a law unto their own, we are always told to look for them! How about they try looking for cars, and checking their blind spot before they veer around a drain and in front of my car!

Both my DP and step father have been hit by cyclists, who just to watch the road, and how the traffic is behaving!

lisaloeb Fri 29-Mar-13 23:23:07

Sounds like a cyclist I was unfortunately behind on my road last week.

He was cycling 2 abreast, I'm well back to allow them both to file single file. A car goes around the 180 degree bend and almost clips him. He's blocking the road shouting abuse, I'm like you're blocking the road and I want to get on.

By the way they weren't on the cycle path that was on the opposte side of the road.

Cyclists need to learn the highway code, and be more aware of motorists and other road users,

rainbunnieseatingalltheeggs Fri 29-Mar-13 23:32:40

Cyclists are allowed to cycle 2 abreas.
Im a pedestrian who is trying to teach her kids to cross teh roads properly.
But every fucking time someone ,either car or cyclist or person decides to break the lights.Do they not realise it only takes one time and they could kill someone.

inabeautifulplace Fri 29-Mar-13 23:43:57

How about you taking more care when overtaking Nattynar? Cyclists are allowed to use the entire width of the lane. They aren't veering in front of your car, you are failing to allow enough room...

DoesBuggerAll Fri 29-Mar-13 23:46:57

I'm not aware that they put pedestrian crossings anywhere near corners. It sounds like you were driving too fast and not paying attention. Rather than admit this (you probably don't realise though) you seek to blame the cyclist.

DoesBuggerAll Fri 29-Mar-13 23:56:03

According to the DFT the absolute minimum visibility for a pedestrian crossing is 40 metres. At 30mph you are covering just over 13 metres per second. You should have therefore, a minimum of nearly 3 seconds between sighting a pedestrian crossing and driving through it. Sounds like the OP was going far too fast or just not paying attention.

Kowalski Sat 30-Mar-13 00:02:52

Of course there are pedestrian crossings near corners! There is a zebra crossing on the main road at the end of my road, which is next to another side road! They also put them by roundabouts! Sorry didnt want to get drawn in but what a daft comment!

Permanentlyexhausted Sat 30-Mar-13 00:19:29

Agrre with Kowalski. I can think of loads of examples. Often they are deliberately put close to junctions - to encourage school children, and others, to use them. If you come out of a side road and want to cross to the other side you're not going to walk 100 metres down the road to do so at a safe crossing, but you might consider walking 15-20 metres.

piprabbit Sat 30-Mar-13 00:30:08

There's a pelican crossing within 3m of a busy road junction in my town.
It's a nightmare, you wait to pull out, you check the pavements, you look at the cars opposite trying to turn left, you check the oncoming traffic, you check the bus stop opposite, you finally pull out only to find yourself right on top of the crossing with a pedestrian who was previously hidden from view by the pub hedge.

Permanentlyexhausted Sat 30-Mar-13 00:36:20

Also, YANBU, OP.

Given the sort of cycling I see on an almost daily basis, I'm surprised there are not more deaths of cyclists tbh. Perhaps someone could explain to me the rationale behind pulling out of a cycle lane into the car lane to overtake a slower cyclist without even looking behind you. I see it happen in front of me on a daily basis. I am always on the alert if I see a faster cyclist approaching a slower one in the cycle lane but I fear it will only be a matter of time before one of them really does just pull out into my car. I just don't understand why you wouldn't look first - to me it would feel the same as crossing a road without looking and I wouldn't dream of doing that.

Just as all car drivers should drive defensively so should all cyclists.

DoesBuggerAll Sat 30-Mar-13 00:37:00

Yes they put pedestrian crossings close to junctions but the OP said the cyclist came round the corner, not out of a side road. Perhaps she in fact meant the cyclist was riding on the pavement on a side road, onto the main road pavement and then onto the crossing? I can see how this might be a tricky one to avoid. Mind you the cyclist must have been doing some speed for the OP to have needed to stamp on the brakes. Still sounds like a lack of awareness and anticipation. Sorry but most people are bad drivers, they just can't admit it.

Kowalski Sat 30-Mar-13 00:45:36

But shouldn't the cyclist should have been cycling on the road, rather than across the pedestrian crossing? Can't put that down to bad driving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now