Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Aibu - if you saw someone fall over would you go and help them up or would you leave them?

(86 Posts)
HepzibahFlurge Thu 28-Mar-13 15:12:36

I have bone cancer in my entire left leg and have difficulty walking but love taking my dog out onto a field behind my flat. I Usually let her off the lead to run after a ball which she loves but I know that if my dog is off the lead and sees another dog she will run to it to try and play. Therefore if I see another dog I will automatically put mine back on the lead as there is no way I can run after her. She is a well behaved dog on the lead and has been to training classes.

The other day out walking I saw a couple with a puppy off the lead. Straight away I put my dog on the lead. The puppy came running over and started pestering mine. We had been out for a while so I decided to go home. Their dog followed me and still kept pestering after mine. The puppy's owners kept calling her to come to them (which she ignored) but didn't come over and take her away

I went to turn to put my poo bag in the bin as my dog pulled on the lead in the opposite direction. This caught me by surprise and I fell over flat on my face into a pool of mud. This is the first time my dog has ever done this to me

The fall was heavy and winded me and I started to cry. What upset me even more was that still the couple did not put their dog on the lead and worse didn't come over to help me out of the mud and just stood and laughed. I begged for help to get up as I couldn't get up but they ignored me. Luckily I fell on my non -cancer leg as could have done myself serious damage. At this stage I was lying on the ground with my dog sat next to me and their puppy jumping on me.

Luckily my mum had arrived to visit me and ran to the field and helped me up. She got hold of my dog and the other couples and shouted 'Come and get your dog'. Eventually they came over but with no questions about how I was and no offers of help. They took their dog and walked off (Still with it off the lead). I went home and cried as I was shocked by the fall

Both me and my mum were shocked that people would not help a person up when they fell over. I know it was my dog which made me fall so will need to think about where I walk her in future for my safety

Would you help someone up who fell over? or would you leave them and laugh?

scottishmummy France Thu 28-Mar-13 19:07:30

Oh gosh,sorry you had a fall hope you ok
Of course I'd assist you,and I would telephone anyone you needed too
Dont be disheartened not all folks are so inconsiderate

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Thu 28-Mar-13 19:04:14

Yes I would

Old lady on my street thought she was being burgled in the middle of the night, she was shouting in the street for help. Plenty of curtain twitchers but no bastard helped her except me. I left it a very short while before going as I'm not exactly built for fighting burglars!!
Really shocked me how no one went to help

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 28-Mar-13 18:39:48

That's truly shocking and extremely sad! Thank god for your mum turning up, that really is cruel. Like others have said, I really hope a karma comes back to bite them!

I pulled over in my car to help someone who had fallen once. I've also stopped with an old lady who fell until the ambulance arrived. No way could I ever walk on by!

When I fell whilst running though and injured my leg quite badly, a mans dog came to see me but he didn't botherhmm I had the car too so DH was unable to come bad rescue me. I had to run/walk/hobble t the car and get myself home.

gingeme Thu 28-Mar-13 18:37:24

Yes I would have picked you up and given the ignorant bastards a piece of my mind too. angry.
I hate stupid people like that.
Hope you have now recovered and your leg is on the mend soon smile

limitedperiodonly Thu 28-Mar-13 18:23:56

bath there was a really good story about Dustin Hoffman rescuing someone in London recently. He played it down on the Graham Norton Show.

I probably would prefer to be dusted down by Dustin Hoffman in his prime than George Clooney only because there would be an outside chance that Dustin might have asked me out for a drink.

Though I thoroughly approve of Hollywood stars of whatever persuasion helping clumsy Londoners.

BathTangle Thu 28-Mar-13 18:22:50

It was so sweet - the girl was just mortified that she hadn't been able to thank him properly - English is not her first language and although usually totally fluent, all her English deserted her when faced with gorgeous George!

xigris Thu 28-Mar-13 18:19:16

Bath no way!! That's a brilliant story! Good old George, gorgeous on the outside and on the inside! grin

Moominsarehippos Thu 28-Mar-13 18:17:36

How horrible. I can't believe how shitty some people are. Hope they find themselves in a similar situation (I'm imagining them falling down a well) and see how it feels. Hopefully, they will be sniggeringly telling the story and see a whole room of shock angry shock angry shock angry shock angry

BathTangle Thu 28-Mar-13 18:14:16

George Clooney would!

Seriously, a girl I worked with in London slipped over while crossing a road close to our office, dropping all her shopping bags. A bloke came rushing over, picked up her shopping and helped to get her safely to the pavement. She finally looked up to thank him and realised that it was George Clooney! (He was staying in a well-known hotel round the corner). He rushed off before she could say a proper thank you.

ZZZenEggain Thu 28-Mar-13 18:14:08

how old were these people?

limitedperiodonly Thu 28-Mar-13 18:12:54

Mind you, my friend was mugged in Victoria at 3pm and was crying in the street and everyone ignored her.

Maybe some people have watched too many films like The Silence Of The Lambs where the distressed person is really trying to kidnap them and skin them alive.

Why you'd feel threatened when it's broad daylight or crowded and all you have to do it call over: 'Are you okay?' I don't know.

That doesn't explain your twats OP, who just sound weird, but maybe it explains some other twats.

ZZZenEggain Thu 28-Mar-13 18:09:07

how awful. I am sorry this happened to you. I don't know what those people were thinking. Of course I would have helped you to get up. I would have thought most people would do that. Please don't feel you cannot walk your dog anymore because of this. Do you have your phone with you so you could call for help if you needed it?

thegreylady Thu 28-Mar-13 18:04:34

How horrible-of course I would have helped.An old man fell off his bike outside a shop we were in recently and we called the ambulance,stayed till it arrived then I pushed his bike home for him and dh stayed with him till a relative came to go to hospital with him. That wasn't being 'good' it was being human I think.

saintmerryweather Thu 28-Mar-13 17:56:02

I never ever want to be the sort of person who could ignore someone who was crying and begging for my help.

Glittertwins Thu 28-Mar-13 17:55:58

I hope karma comes back and bites them hard. I would have helped you without question. I've seen someone fall hard off a bench onto concrete, called the ambulance and waited until it arrived when out with toddling twins. The lady had had an epileptic fit which is why she fell. She really hit her head hard. I saw her later when she was leaving the hospital as I was passing and asked how she was.

limitedperiodonly Thu 28-Mar-13 17:54:05

My friend had a fit on the Tube into work and woke up lying down on the platform with vomit on her coat and the doors of the train closing and everyone staring at her. They'd dragged her out and got back on. confused

She told that story because I was with her when I fainted on the platform at Holborn station and came round to find an off-duty nurse helping me and lots of other people looking to see if I was okay.

Surely, most people are all right, aren't they? hmm And I wasn't pissed that time either grin

milkwagon Thu 28-Mar-13 17:53:47

What utter dicks. Honestly, most reasonable members of society would stop and help. Sorry you had to go through this. I've lost count of the amount of times I've stopped to help people. I'm a great believer in karma so they'll get their comeuppance.x

fieldfare Thu 28-Mar-13 17:52:28

I'd absolutely always help someone. I would like to think that someone would help me in that kind of predicament too. I'm sorry for your experience OP, what a pair of idiots.

I would have helped. I stopped my car next to a couple the other day when then man had tripped off the kerb, but they were alright. I did stay in my tent last year in the aftermath of a road accident on the road next to the campsite, but I could hear lots of people shouting and phoning 999 etc and felt that if I joined it wouldn't help, just be getting in the way. All my friends (about a dozen) had left their tents. I'm still not sure if I did the right thing staying out of it. confused

I'd help someone up. I've done this in the past. And wasn't the only one offering to help.

The couple in the OP are ignorant twats and not typical of people I know around here.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 28-Mar-13 17:43:55

Bad ipad typing

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 28-Mar-13 17:42:15

How shite. I can also cite an example of someone not helping - i slipped and fell banged my, head and saw stars, in the park a couple of years ago. Man walked past and ignored me.

It is enough to make y ou lose your faith in humanity.

BUT

I think we find it so appalling because it is ou t of the ordinary. Thenvast vast majority of people would help. I is a shame that even one person would not, but I try to remember the ones who do, and would, not be depressed by the ones who don't.

Thewhingingdefective Thu 28-Mar-13 17:41:39

They sound utterly charming! hmm

I think most people would be decent enough to hurry over and help you up, make sure you're okay etc.

I think you we're very unfortunate to encounter such a pair of inconsiderate bastards.

limitedperiodonly Thu 28-Mar-13 17:41:23

What I meant was that they probably thought I was pissed because it was about 9.30pm. They still tried to help me though.

VerySmallSqueak Thu 28-Mar-13 17:38:08

I would help.

I was horrified today at some people laughing at an elderly man in a shop because he was confused and not understanding what the shop assistant was saying.
I didn't find it funny,poor man.
Luckily he was unaware - but the strangest bit was that the main culprits looked like they were only 10 years or so off possibly being in his shoes.

The last time I needed help in public with a bad asthma attack when I was alone,I was lucky to find some very kind people looked out for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now