Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think its completely outrageous for the govt to not include internet access as a necessity on the voucher programme when

(504 Posts)

they are now demanding all benefit applications and correspondence has to be online? I think it is disgusting. Its pushing already marginalised and often vulnerable people beyond the edge. In our Borough over 20% of folk do not have internet access. These people are generally the poor, the foreign, those with MH issues. Is this just another step to ensure the poorest most vulnerable members of society have no voice or access to services?

thank you nailak. that was my point! because this is a system which is being introduced right now. not after the next election, but right now. so people are being disenfranchised right now.

PainForLife Fri 29-Mar-13 15:44:22

just wanted to add my opinion for what it's worth as someone who is physically disabled & suffered MH issues.

I think what the government has completely forgotten about (by choice I'm sure) is people like me. I am intelligent enough to complete any form whether online/paperbased but the fact is my physical incapability doesn't allow me to do so. more often then not my physical state impacts on my mental state.

cost is an important factor for people in my situation (our local libraries have been closed so now the closest one is 45mins away, local council offices closed so the nearest one again is 45 mins away). I had a local charity supporting me tasks such as application etc but they have been forced to close due to lack of funding. personally for me it would be helpful to have telephone application whereby they take you through the application & then print it out & post it to you to sign & date.

my local council has withdrawn many facilities that were available to vulnerable people like myself/my elderly parents so no doubt do many of us will just grey so frustrated with the system that we would.not bother to apply for benefits we are entitled to (I'm sure that is what the government is aiming for). also I must say the people supposedly employed in local council office generally see completely unhelpful morons who cannot even answers simple questions without referring it to some department or another so you end up waiting for weeks to get a simple answer or they treat you like your the scum of society. I have worked all my life until an incident left me with physical problems so I was forced out of my job & onto disability benefits.

I absolutely wish I could turn back time & not be disabled but the fact is I am & unfortunately nothing will change that for the rest of my life BUT I absolutely am disgusted by those who think it is a crime to be on benefits. next time you open your mouth to give an opinion think about those who have been put into the unfair/judgeable system without a choice.

Darkesteyes Fri 29-Mar-13 20:35:49

Apparently out of the four pilot areas for Universal Credit which were due to start on Easter Monday three have been suspended until July.
And there was a report about these changes on Channel 4 news this evening on how the I.T. isnt up to scratch.

RealAleandOpenFires Fri 29-Mar-13 23:18:02

Questions for you TwoBra...

If everyove has to go online to claim benefits and:-

1) The whole system gets hacked, what happens next?
or
2) You fill out the on-line forms and system crashes due to overload of claiments...how do you prove that you did fill out the forms? (please don't say "screen shot/picture" as they can be faked)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now