Not to understand: Your House/Wedding/Child Your Rules?

(122 Posts)
Hullygully Thu 28-Mar-13 11:54:43

What happened to manners?

What happened to consideration for other people, putting one's guests first, or making people feel comfortable or just mutually agreeing a framework of behaviour around kids?

How can it work if everyone has Me Me Mine about Their Rules??

Hullygully Thu 28-Mar-13 12:31:25

yes Nit, altho I was known, when all the dc were small, for dashing round the table with a flannel and wiping all the hands I could get at before they all got down again. and faces

usualsuspect Thu 28-Mar-13 12:31:28

I always imagine the my house/my rules posters handing their guests a house rule book before they get through the door.

Pandemoniaa Thu 28-Mar-13 12:31:57

There's a world of difference between "My Preferences" and "My Rules" too.

Waspie Thu 28-Mar-13 12:32:27

I don't mind what guests do in my house as long as they don't shag on the rug (it's just been cleaned) or light up.

I leave the decision on removal of shoes up to the guest. Weddings I try and avoid and tend to use DS as an excuse to send DP on his own. I have successfully avoided all weddings I've been invited to in the last 5 years except my sister's and DP's sisters which I couldn't really get out of <proud>

mary, didn't yoiu know alcohol consumption is not the essence of a good wedding? tsk.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 28-Mar-13 12:33:02

I don't know anyone who would ask that, salmo, with the possible exception of my own father. I'd let him, and we'd all raise eyebrows in the other room, and he'd know it grin.

Maryz Thu 28-Mar-13 12:33:09

Salmo, has my dad been to visit you?

Having said that, in this house dh would leap to his feet and say "oh, I forgot about the golf/cricket/rugby/tiddlywinks, of course, let's put it on".

Hullygully Thu 28-Mar-13 12:33:19

oo that's a good one, Salmo. It would depend how important it was to them and how well I knew them. If it was clearly tres important I'd probably agree and just think to myself that they were thick louts.

My mum often has to have a little Corrie watch when she comes round, but it's only half an hour and she is an addict.

NomDeOrdinateur Thu 28-Mar-13 12:33:25

Depends on how far you take it - guests aren't allowed to play with my parrot (because she is afraid of strangers and will respond aggressively to people who aren't patient with her), and I don't allow shoes on in my home (because the carpet belongs to the landlord, who chose cream in his infinite wisdom, and we live in a very soggy, muddy area).

IME, "my wedding, my rules" can be invaluable because it's the least impolite way of negotiating other people's compulsion to push boundaries and create ill-feeling. For instance, when:

a) your parents want you to increase your wedding party by 1/3 in numbers (and therefore cost) to invite family members you don't get on with, even though your wedding is on a tight budget;
b) your ILs want you to video the whole thing at a cost of £300 for somebody who couldn't come, despite the fact that you have always hated cameras and aren't even having an official wedding photographer, and your wedding is again on a tight budget;
c) your ILs want you to hire a minibus to transport 14 people between the church, the pub, and the house, even though family members have already offered and agreed to a "driving rota" that gets everybody where they need to be comfortably, and again you're on the aforementioned tight budget;
d) pretty much everybody other than your fiance feels very strongly that the possession of a vagina disqualifies you from keeping your own surname after marriage;
e) there is literally only one seating arrangement that keeps together everybody who wants to be together and separates one's deliberately antagonistic MIL and BIL (who proved they couldn't be trusted to make innocuous smalltalk the night before) from one's own parents and DB.

I felt like a right bridezilla uttering the phrase (which, I agree, is usually deployed to mask somebody else's bullishness and lack of respect for others), but I probably resented the fact that I was being forced to use it more than the recipients objected to hearing it.

Maryz Thu 28-Mar-13 12:33:57

Isn't it Madame shock? It was an Irish wedding, if that explains it [arf]

You see I am really nice. I smoke. not a lot< but I do. if I have other people round who hate smoking, and certainly when children are around I don't smoke. I feel that would be rude. and no my home does not reek of fag smoke. (roll ups stink less than readymades) and I am a fan of fresh air and breezes blowing through and scented candles (but naice ones) etc. you see the fact I even felt the need to justify myself is annoying. I am a good host!

abbyfromoz Thu 28-Mar-13 12:35:29

Maryz.. PMSL @ putting shoes back on! Lol
We have friends who ask us to take shoes off... The only reason that annoys me is when i am in the process of doing so! Lol... Literally just turn up at the door and they are all 'shoes off!' While i already have a boot off... Lol

P.s the answer to having your wedding your rules is do it abroad! That way only people who reeeally love you and are willing to travel will be there...well that was the plan we got married in Thailand- still had 100 people turn up! Lol we must just be really loved grin

DiscoDonkey Thu 28-Mar-13 12:35:55

I hate our new lounge carpet, I thought it would be great but instead it's turned dh in a right precious knob. Wish we just had the old shitty carpet that no one cared about.

Wonder if anyone else ever got divorced over a carpet?

maybe I am deluding myself. but I do know most folk will crawl over broken glass to eat at mine!

SneezingwakestheJesus Thu 28-Mar-13 12:40:04

Its all about balance isn't it? Like if you have a certain rule in your house like no TV while we eat and then a guest comes and wants to watch TV while they eat, that one time isn't going to affect the host so the guest should come first. But then if you have a no smoking rule in your house and a guest lights up without asking, that is going to make the host have to breathe it in too which is pretty bad manners in itself.

On the shoes front, I'm sure new people who come to my house think I'm a bad host for making them take their shoes off because guests come first and all that but the people who know me and come round regularly respect that I have OCD and shoes inside would trigger off a lot of anxiety etc and make me unable to think about anything else the entire time they were there.

Massive ramble condensed = in some situations, it really should be your house your rules but in others, the balance should be more towards making guests comfortable.

TheBigJessie Thu 28-Mar-13 12:40:17

To be honest, I didn't really want a wedding. There would be people looking at me. All my choices were geared towards making sure I could endure it.

So, I consider myself saved, and whenever anyone brings it up, I just smile in a puzzled way, and say, "it would either have been hell for the guests or hell for me. I don't want to pay to be miserable, so no wedding was better, surely?".

Bosgrove Thu 28-Mar-13 12:40:43

For us, my main house rule is no jumping on furniture. If my children jump on your furniture I will stop them as "We don't jump on furniture, do we?", but I wouldn't stop YOUR children in YOUR house.

However, in MY house, MY rules, therefore all jumping on furniture is stopped. If they want to jump, can jump on the floor or on the mini trampoline in the playroom.

I'd say sure, you can watch it in ds' room!

Pandemoniaa Thu 28-Mar-13 12:42:11

I always imagine the my house/my rules posters handing their guests a house rule book before they get through the door.

They are almost certainly the sort of people who would queue up to buy the "My House/My Cat/My Rules" poster I saw this week. It concluded, charmlessly, with the words "I prefer my cat to you anyway".

Maryz Thu 28-Mar-13 12:42:27

Oh, TheBigJessie - I saw your name earlier when I was reminiscing on the broccoli thread, and I saw your hoverererer grin

TheBigJessie Thu 28-Mar-13 12:43:25

It's my biggest claim to fame! I may put it on my CV.

gnushoes Thu 28-Mar-13 12:43:52

I think it is an age thing. We didn't have any rules at our wedding except we wanted everyone to have a nice time. We do ask small kids to remove shoes but that's because they've usually just walked over a field to get here and we prefer that only the hall gets covered in mud. Slightly baffled by the arsiness of the My Rules brigade. Are they that scary in RL?

Salmotrutta Thu 28-Mar-13 12:46:31

See, I threw In the TV one because I remember Mum and Dad tutting in a horrified manner after the departure of a visiting couple when the man asked to watch something!

Very old-fashioned my folks. Well, they are in their 80s grin

What about casual throwing-of-legs over chair arms? Or feet propped up on a coffee table? Very rude but what a dilemma! Do you bite tongues?

Or say "Oi, feet off you oik"?

BlueberryHill Thu 28-Mar-13 12:48:14

Salmotrutta Thu 28-Mar-13 12:31:13

What if someone came to visit and, during tea and cake, asked if you would put the TV on so they could watch the rugby/football/golf?

I have a guest who regularly does this, BIL, does family make it any different? I do it but I find it really rude TBH, we're not a sporty household in that way. I think I find it annoying as he also gets the paper and goes to read it in another room leaving me, DH and SIL to look after the kids. I feel that I am there to provide food, entertain the children whilst he doesn't have to be charming / friendly or helpful in any way.

I hate the my house my rules etc and it normally isn't a problem. However when one particular child visits I do lay down three simple rules to all the children because otherwise it is mayhem that I spend hours clearing up. I cannot not invite them (family ructions) and I also hide the lego models (A whole other thread)

Annunziata Thu 28-Mar-13 12:48:21

Wedding threads are fascinating. Me, I bought a dress, phoned my million or so relatives and hired the church hall.

I don't get the your child ones. Normally it's 'DH thinks we should do X' and then everyone piles in with 'your child' confused Did you make the child yourself then?! Baffling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now