Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think tvs with screens over 37" are naff naff naff?

(307 Posts)

Unless it's in a room the size of a small cinema, that is...

As part of my job I see the insides of lots of peoples' houses. And it never ceases to amaze me how so many people seem determined to squeeze a ridiculously enormous tv screen into a small room. It doesn't seem to bother that they sometimes have to obscure half the window, or remove most of the other furniture from the room to fit it in (ok that's an exaggeration). Just cos something is available in an enormous size, doesn't mean you have to buy it.

When we were looking at tvs in John Lewis the other day, I overheard a saleswoman telling somebody that she would always recommend going no bigger than 37 inches in an average sized room. She'll probably get the sack if she keeps telling people that, but I wanted to kiss her.

If I ever try to watch one of these ridiculous tvs, they make me sea sick. Seriously.

Rant over smile

And yes if I had a separate 'tv room' I wouldn't mind it being enormous. But I'm not Elvis so I have a sitting room, a dining room and a conservatory downstairs, two of which rooms have 'normal' sized tvs in!

ouryve Thu 28-Mar-13 10:56:32

We have a 32" in our 11' wide livingroom and it's just right. Anything else would dominate the room. Of course, many of the neighbours disagree!

If the screen's too big in a small room, all you can see is how crap and pixellated the picture is, anyhow.

Art I like living in a ye olde cottage actually grin. Well it's not a cottage but it's a (quite) ye olde house.

Kelly I actually like just going to the cinema to be in the cinema grin

ouryve you know you've just opened the floodgates for loads of 'HD boasting' now don't you? wink

specialsubject Thu 28-Mar-13 11:00:18

not so much naff, as inappropriate. The John Lewis woman is quite right - unless you have a huge room, a gigantic TV is daft as you can't get far enough away to see the picture correctly. These things have designed viewing angles and distances.

ArtVandelay Thu 28-Mar-13 11:00:49

Hey, nothing wrong with ye olde cottages smile

GreenEggsAndNichts Thu 28-Mar-13 11:01:34

Two TVs? How tacky. smile

We have one big TV, no idea what size it is. It's not showing off- it was extremely affordable. It would have been more expensive to get another smaller TV when we bought it.

HappyJoyful Thu 28-Mar-13 11:01:59

A friend of mine had a theory based on sq meters of size of room v size of TV as a measure of 'chavness'.
We recently went for a 32in (as other's have said, cheaper than the 26in that we went to buy) and it fits perfectly in the alcove of our tiny cottage and it doesn't look out of place, also takes up less space on a new slim unit with storage underneath far better than smaller screened, large backed tv on bigger stand so I must admit I love it!

Crinkle77 Thu 28-Mar-13 11:02:41

yeah I agree. And why do people insist on putting them on the wall above the fire place. It is really uncomfortable watching the telly and having to look up all the time.

Yes tacky it may be but it means I don't have to watch the football smile

And ooh yes double naff points for having it fixed over the fireplace. It's crap having to get neck ache to watch it, and assuming people actually use their fires sometimes, surely the heat rising up is not good for a tv? confused

ouryve Thu 28-Mar-13 11:05:48

I'm so glad that DH agrees with me and doesn't think like Chris.

Mr Maker really is fine on a 32" screen, from 10' away. On a 50" screen, I'd be annoyed that there's no CBeebiesHD.

ouryve Thu 28-Mar-13 11:07:31

badtaste I daren't even admit that we only watch freesat, or, occasionally, freeview on our screen. No paid for Sky or Virgin media whatsoever. Why pay just to have more choice of crap you don't want to watch?

Butkin Thu 28-Mar-13 11:07:39

We bought a 42 inch just before Olympics and it's my pride and joy. Did consider bigger but went for quality over size (DD begged for a 50 inch!).

Doesn't look much bigger than our old CRT TV because it had a massive border/integral speakers and of course huge back to it. Our new TV, whilst a gorgeous big picture just has a thin silver frame around it with no wasted border at all.

We do have quite a long room and I couldn't read the captions (eyesight not great) before but can do that well now.

My Dh doesn't really care either - although he does have HD football somehow, apparently blush. But that's in the conservatory, which is the official 'man tv' room. Football just doesn't go with the sitting room decor dahling grin

RatPants Thu 28-Mar-13 11:09:15

I hardly ever watch tv and don't have an enormous one but couldn't care less about anyone else's either. A tv is a tv. Why do people care so much about this?!

ArtVandelay Thu 28-Mar-13 11:10:42

Ouryve Dr Ranj's eyebrows are simply magnificent on 60".

Now, Embarrassing Bodies... Not so nice really.

Rat because this is AIBU and I love to rant about stuff. And I get to snout in lots of peoples' houses in RL and love to be judgey about them grin

Hulababy Thu 28-Mar-13 11:15:00

We chose not to have a fireplace/fire when our house was built, so no fireplace for the TV to go over anyway.

It's just different tastes isn't it though?

I'd not want to like in some old cottage or period house, with drafty windows and doors, creaking floorboards, constantly trying to keep on top of maintaining it, it costing a fortune to heat, etc. I do like older furniture much and lots of stuff rammed in. I like light, modern and airy. Our TV fits in with our room. It may well look wrong if in a more traditional type of room I grant you. But that's not for me anyway.

Machli Thu 28-Mar-13 11:16:49

Well I've got a MASSIVE one in a small room thanks ex H for buying it just before you left and we love it. My sister came to stay for a few days and when she got home bought one that was a similar size for a smaller room because she'd got used to it and loved mine.

chris481 Thu 28-Mar-13 11:17:06

I'll just add that if you don't watch HD TV then you should ignore my previous post. Standard definition TV will look terrible on a screen sized correctly for HD, I almost never watch it.

Well since I'm not 93 I didn't get much say in my fireplaces when my house was built <stealthy house-age boast> grin

Though seriously I do agree that big tvs don't look quite as naff in new houses - their naffness kind of fits in

<runs>

Only joking wink

Hulababy Thu 28-Mar-13 11:21:03

Ah you see for me - a 93 yer old house does nothing for me, so don't see it as a boast. I prefer new homes.

<sticks out tongue as can't think of a clever come-back>

flowery Thu 28-Mar-13 11:24:34

How can a telly be tacky or naff? confused

I understand if people would prefer not to have a huge one.
I understand it being a little bit daft if you have to sit close to it and can't actually see it properly.

But how is it naff and tacky? How do people have enough time and energy to expend it deciding what home furnishings are acceptable and which are naff and tacky?

And yes, I realise I seem to have enough time and energy to post on MN when I should be working grin

chris481 Thu 28-Mar-13 11:25:45

"not so much naff, as inappropriate. The John Lewis woman is quite right - unless you have a huge room, a gigantic TV is daft as you can't get far enough away to see the picture correctly. These things have designed viewing angles and distances. "

Yes, and these distances are very different for HD and standard definition. Her advice might have been appropriate to someone who only intends to watch standard definition, i.e. someone who doesn't really care about TV picture quaility.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now