To wish my dog wasnt so fucking annoying everytime there's a bitch on heat

(89 Posts)
YesIamYourSisterInLaw Thu 28-Mar-13 06:55:13

Whine whine whine all fucking day even when he's just got back from a walk. Arghhhhhh
I feel the feminist in me come out and start saying things to him like "what makes you think she'd even want you anyway"
Haha I know it's crazy but he's pushing my buttons. WIBU to cut his balls of myself? A pair of scissors and some ice ought to do just fine right?

hiddenhome Sun 28-Apr-13 12:15:40

Just muzzle it hmm

YoniRaver Sun 28-Apr-13 12:11:04

Get him neutered.

LtEveDallas Sun 28-Apr-13 12:09:39

Get a better vet
Get a muzzle
Get him neutered

Do NOT leave him entire
Do NOT let him breed

peggyblackett Sun 28-Apr-13 12:08:25

You sound ridiculous OP. Get the poor boy done.

D0oinMeCleanin Sun 28-Apr-13 12:02:15

One of ours is aggressive at the vets. She's unspayed, unvaccinated and still has a massive gash down her side from when she had an accident and the vet couldn't get close enough to stitch her up.

Oh, wait, that's not true. I've just remembered, the vet suggested giving her sedatives prior to any appointments and muzzling her, so we did that.

WTFisABooyhooISBooyhoo Sun 28-Apr-13 11:52:27

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

maddening Sun 28-Apr-13 11:40:56

I am sure a vet could get to a sedated dog?

jajawunderbar Sun 28-Apr-13 11:16:39

As per my previous post, this is what I'm 'on about':

My main concern is that, aside from 'pully' behaviour when there's a good smell, he is totally non agressive and submissive, whereas other neutered male labradors in the village are aggressive towards him - presumably as he is complete - therefore I wonder if he would become aggresssive towards entire males if I do have him done.

StuntGirl Sat 27-Apr-13 21:47:26

What are some people on about on this thread?

Get him neutered. It's the only fair option.

Geckoandthemonkey Sat 27-Apr-13 21:14:13

If you are not going to get your dog neutered, I think it's v cruel not to let him mate, with a spade female of course. Poor boy. I say, either the balls go or you let him shag, even if only once.

jajawunderbar Sat 27-Apr-13 21:00:09

Maggie111 thanks for your message - I am in the process of trying to decide whether or not to neuter my 11 mo labrador, whose only issue is pulling my arm out of its socket when there's a bitch on heat being walked around the village. It certainly seems here to be the case that bitch owners think dogs should be neutered so there will be no unwanted litters... when we got our dog the breeder gave a really good piece of advice, which was to walk an unspayed bitch AWAY from its home, on a lead, if it were impractical to keep her in. Unfortunately the owners in our village continue to exercise unspayed bitches at popular times and on popular routes whilst they are on heat, showing their disdain when I dare to exercise my unneutered male in these same areas. I guess they think I should have him done so it's a catch 22...
My main concern is that, aside from 'pully' behaviour when there's a good smell, he is totally non agressive and submissive, whereas other neutered male labradors in the village are aggressive towards him - presumably as he is complete - therefore I wonder if he would become aggresssive towards entire males if I do have him done. Any advice through experience gratefully received!

countrykitten Fri 29-Mar-13 09:31:54

musicmadness neutering actually reduces the risk of cancers which is why vets recommend it.

lotsofdogshere Fri 29-Mar-13 09:27:34

ridiculous

Why run the risk? you can not guarantee your dog will not slip its lead or escape when you turn your back for 30 seconds.

I had to keep my bitch housed for 1 month when she was in heat she still had to go outside so she could have a crap, an intact dog that has made its bid for freedom could still scale my 6ft fencing if it was that desperate to get to her.

A simple operation gives you the certainty that some irate owner of a bitch that has only just gone into her first season and cannot be operated on is not knocking on your door accusing your dog of having a bit of fun when your back is turned.

musicmadness Thu 28-Mar-13 14:51:04

Breeding wouldn't be a good idea but if he is always on a lead I don't see a reason to neuter him unless you want to. There are health risks associated with neutering dogs, it increases the risk of certain cancers etc and that can vary depending on the breed of dog. There are also benefits to neutering but that is for each individual owner to way up.

Completely anecdotal but my dog was not neutered and never escaped and never fathered any puppies. If you are responsible it's fine. As you have said your dog is always on a lead I doubt there is much risk tbh.

countrykitten Thu 28-Mar-13 14:48:36

Both of our bitches are neutered - people are so irresponsible. Pet animals of both sexes should be neutered when old enough and so much heartache would be prevented.

TheBigJessie Thu 28-Mar-13 14:47:37

This thread explains exactly why there are still excess kittens and puppies in 21st century Britain.

Maggie111 Thu 28-Mar-13 14:37:49

Additional - I've just seen you ask if breeding him will calm him.

No, no it will not. Once he's been studded they change - always on the look out for the next go apparently.

And definitely don't breed because you think he's "such a lovely dog"... That's why our rescue centres are so over run.

Maggie111 Thu 28-Mar-13 14:35:24

No one should be out walking their bitch when it's in heat!!! shock It is VERY unreasonable - plenty of dogs go insane trying to follow the scent and can run into roads etc.

Keep your girl in for 2-3 weeks angry

OP - you don't have to neuter your dog if you're responsible. I happen to think that people should neuter their pets if they're not breeding but there are health benefits to keeping them intact - it's your choice.

If you wanted to see if neutering would make any difference you can buy an implant that blocks testosterone and lasts for 4-6 months. A good trial run.

But most dogs, even neutered ones, will still go nuts for a dog in heat!!

countrykitten Thu 28-Mar-13 14:24:14

Why would you breed a dog which clearly has fear related aggression issues? Why would you breed your dog at all?

Get him castrated by a vet who knows what they are doing (although I do find your story regarding the vet a little unbelievable to be honest)and then you will have nothing to moan about will you?

I am involved in animal rescue and am very pro-neutering. Why wouldn't you?

quoteunquote Thu 28-Mar-13 14:14:09
Naysa Thu 28-Mar-13 14:05:21

I honestly don't believe that the vet rang you to come and get him. I think you've made that up. I did work experience shadowing a vet nurse and placid dogs quickly changed and the vet equally as quickly changed his approach. Either your vet is shit or your telling porkies.

Why would you breed from a dog that is A) a mongrel and B) shows signs of aggression?

Look at how many huskies and huskie crosses are in the pounds and shelters and ask yourself whether you want to add or prevent.

Get him neutered OP.

PetiteRaleuse Thu 28-Mar-13 12:56:23

My vet said that animals sense and smell death. It's possible that a dying animal had been in just before him or one had just been put down or something. That could have stressed him out. Get him done though.

Sunnywithshowers Thu 28-Mar-13 12:55:08

YABU get him done FFS.

GilmoursPillow Thu 28-Mar-13 12:11:46

LOL at PFD!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now