To wish my dog wasnt so fucking annoying everytime there's a bitch on heat

(89 Posts)
YesIamYourSisterInLaw Thu 28-Mar-13 06:55:13

Whine whine whine all fucking day even when he's just got back from a walk. Arghhhhhh
I feel the feminist in me come out and start saying things to him like "what makes you think she'd even want you anyway"
Haha I know it's crazy but he's pushing my buttons. WIBU to cut his balls of myself? A pair of scissors and some ice ought to do just fine right?

YesIamYourSisterInLaw Thu 28-Mar-13 08:21:18

I mean he wasn't scared as in scared cowering obviously he was scared and protecting himself by growing

Crunchymunchyhoneycakes Thu 28-Mar-13 08:21:33

Is there not a special dog topic for stuff like this?

HazleNutt Thu 28-Mar-13 08:23:21

He's annoying when there's a bitch in heat and honestly, there's always a bitch in heat somewhere. If he manages to escape just once, that might be a whole litter of unwanted puppies.
I would try to neuter him again, surely there must be some options, like giving him some sedatives before you get to vet or maybe it helps if you actually stay there. The current situation is annoying for you and not so pleasant for the dog either.

FloatyBeatie Thu 28-Mar-13 08:24:29

I've got a dog who is fear aggressive at the vets. It is easy to find ways of dealing with this. Now that they know that there might be a problem, they will be able to manage the situation better, so that they can get him sedated and ready to be operated on without subjecting him to a hugely stressful confrontation.

ratspeaker Thu 28-Mar-13 08:25:22

They can smell the hormones a mile off, whine,make a fuss and run offat every given chance.
I dont know if there's anything to mask the scent.

I'd try another vet, if they can't get near him to neuter him when he's fit and healthy what would they be like if he was sick, injured or in pain and NEEDED treatment?

Aren't vets pretty used to dealing with aggressive or frightened pets? If your vet and his or her team couldn't handle them either without you or in your presence enough time to get the GA in I would seriously consider changing vets.

You either muzzle him when he goes or you ask the vet for a muzzle, before they take him.

He won't react when having his jabs etc. because you are with him, last time he was in a cage and strangers were trying to get hold of him, he wasn't reacting because he knew something was up.

My bitch is very wary around men, she was terrified when at the vets because it was a strange place, before she went for her op, I informed the vet of her insecurities and her possible reaction, so she was muzzled before they removed her from her security blanket, me.

MothershipG Thu 28-Mar-13 08:30:33

Find a decent vets! Let them know what happened last time so they can be prepared and get him castrated.

Or...stop whining about the whining! wink

fuzzypicklehead Thu 28-Mar-13 08:36:17

In that case, OP, the vets let you down. Instead of just throwing up their hands and telling you to take him home, they should have presented you with alternatives. For example, they could sedate him with you present so they can proceed with the operation.

Did they do the usual thing and get you to drop him off first thing so they could do "batch neutering" with any other animals that were booked in? They probably told you to come and get him because he was interfering with their surgery schedule. But that shouldn't stop them from attempting again now that they can anticipate his reaction.

Or they could look at chemical castration, which is done by injection. It's more of a PITA because you have to keep going back for injections, but it will also do the trick.

PuppyMonkey Thu 28-Mar-13 08:36:19

Sorry, bit off topic, but whoever said "timewaster" made me pmsl.grin

YesIamYourSisterInLaw Thu 28-Mar-13 08:36:31

I know mother ship, it was lighthearted honestly. He's only like it once a year for a week or so. We must not have many females round here.

saintmerryweather Thu 28-Mar-13 08:38:34

Show dogs have to have 2 fully descended testicles since showing is intended to assess breeding stock.

YesIamYourSisterInLaw Thu 28-Mar-13 08:40:34

Fuzzy they were genuinely terrified when I came to pick him up. He's a husky cross and looks like a wolf at the best of time so I should imagine he was scary to them with his hackles up and teeth out snarling.
Would breeding him calm him? He's a lovely looking dog ( we got stopped and told quite often) so it might be a shame not to just once.

You have got to be joking?

Chopping his bollocks off will calm him!

Slavetothechild Thu 28-Mar-13 08:44:34

NO if you were to use him at stud he would become much louder when a bitch comes into season. Also as he is a cross no matter how handsome, there is nothing to be gained from breeding from him

firesidechat Thu 28-Mar-13 08:46:38

I took him to be neutered about 3 years ago and my usually very calm, very laid back dog knew what was about to happen, backed himself into a corner and wouldn't let them near him. I have never seen him like it ever. I figured if he wants to keep them that badly then fine.

You honestly believe this? I love dogs, they are very intelligent, but not that intelligent!

Your dog became aggressive with the vet and therefore all the more reason to get him neutered. Your problem is easily solved if you do the right thing.

Booboostoo Thu 28-Mar-13 08:47:38

"Would breeding him calm him?" You are joking right????

I don't know why you are being snappy with the suggestions you are getting. Off lead exercise usually expends a lot more energy than on-lead exercise so I don't really need to know your dog to say this. Also no one on this thread knows your dog so why did you post?

Now that you've said he is a husky x it makes sense to keep him on the lead as they have very poor recall, however this breed needs enormous amounts of exercise to stay sane.

Muzzle for the vets?

Callisto Thu 28-Mar-13 08:52:54

Breeding from a mongrel - yes really great idea. hmm

tabulahrasa Thu 28-Mar-13 09:02:26

Breeding him would make him worse - at the moment he has a load of hormones flooding about that he hasn't got a clue what to do with, showing him what they're for will just increase his behaviour.

cleangreens Thu 28-Mar-13 09:04:19

Oh god this gets worse! Breed him! Oh please don't bring even more dogs into the world and Husky x too

Rikalaily Thu 28-Mar-13 09:05:18

saintmerryweather Show dogs have to have 2 fully descended testicles since showing is intended to assess breeding stock.

You can get implants inserted after neutering so they look like they have testicles.

YesIamYourSisterInLaw Breeding him would probably make him worse and could alter his personality and not in a good way.

Get him neutered, he won't have to be a slave to his hormones and you'll take away the risk of some types of cancer. There are hardly any valid reasons to leaving a none stud intact and the benefits outweigh those reasons in my book. I never leave any of my animals intact, it's just not fair to them when they are just a pet. Muzzle him before you get to the vets and ask the vet for a premed that you can give him before you leave the house so he's more relaxed when you get there.

lljkk Thu 28-Mar-13 09:09:25

That's weird, I thought MNers were universally rabid in proclaiming that intact dogs were no more difficult/risky/dangerous/aggressive/anything bad than dogs who had been neutered properly before puberty. Not only that, but oh, there were significant health risks, not a simple matter, no clear obvious right thing to do.

But hey ho, one high profile case and the lemming behaviour comes out...

(For the Record I have always thought that un-neutered was obviously nuts, just am genuinely flummoxed by this thread).

Callisto Thu 28-Mar-13 09:19:51

lljkk - huh? Any sane and reasonable person knows that there is a serious problem with unwanted dogs in the UK and that neutering is the only way to address it. And that having a mongrel with balls is just bloody stupid. It has fuck all to do with the girl that was killed.

Suggesting that people be responsible owners and get there dogs neutered is because of recent events?

every thread I have seen on these boards regarding pets and neutering has always given the same advice, Get them done.

lljkk Thu 28-Mar-13 09:24:02

I agree with you.
I know that I'm sane, I'm just astonished to hear other MNers saying the same thing. I could easily find dozens of archived threads on here with lots of posters insisting that intact dogs pose no problems, that neutering is too risky for the dog, etc. And almost no one daring to disagree.

Think I need to go lie down in a dark room or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now