Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to ask what to do with this money?

(35 Posts)
Swapsie Wed 27-Mar-13 06:01:07

I am a regular and have name changed.

I was unexpectedly left £10,000 in a relative's will. I realise this is an incredibly fortunate position to be in and I feel quite guilty knowing that others on the boards are having a really tough time of it finacially.

We live in a rented flat and DP has suggested that we use it as a deposit. I don't think it would be enough and our joint income is quite low (about 20k a year, plus some casual work) so we won't get much of a mortgage I'd imagine. 90k-100k would buy a one bedroomed flat round our way. DP seems keen to buy.

Even if we were to buy (somehow) the situation is complicated by the fact that we will probably have to relocate in about three years time due to work.

I am a bit worried that property prices could keep on falling and we'd lose this money and there is no chance of us getting that sort of cash again.

Any advice greatly appreciated and I know this falls under the 'luxury problems' category.

I'm inclined to agree with DolomitesDonkey - Diamonds and a holiday. DH and I had a small lump sum when we were first married; it wasn't quite big enough to do anything sensible with. We used it to tour round China, and the following year used the rest to travel in Peru, Bolivia, and the Amazon. We have never regretted it.

Crawling Wed 27-Mar-13 10:34:24

I would put it into savings until you move then buy a house with it. I would also try to add as much to it as you can.

cjel Wed 27-Mar-13 11:47:37

I would buy. If you want to be home owner leaving it in an isa would be waste of time as you will also be wasting three years rent which could have been reducing mortgage, it is never a good time to buy always a better time around the corner and while yo are waiting your life is going. I have been house owner for 33 years and seen it come and go .As long as you are not buying in a boom you won't lose long term

treas Wed 27-Mar-13 12:53:05

Premium Bonds!!

Actually property would be a good way to go

KellyElly Wed 27-Mar-13 13:21:01

I would take £1000 out of it and treat yourselves to a nice holiday and put the rest in an ISA.

myalias Wed 27-Mar-13 13:24:52

Put it in an ISA or a notice account, you won't regret not having holidays when you are sitting in your own home in a few years time.

chris481 Wed 27-Mar-13 13:29:42

When I bought my current flat, the total cost of stamp duty, solicitors fees, new carpets and curtains, new furniture, repairs etc was about £20,000 by the end of the first year. That was at 1998 prices.

Don't buy unless you are going to stay for a long time.

TheCraicDealer Wed 27-Mar-13 13:33:31

Stick the money in an ISA and if you can start saving every month to top it up so in 3 years you have a bit more or a nest egg to put towards a flat.

Yeah, that's what I'd do. A 10K deposit will probably get you a property of, what, £100K? And at that, you'll be getting a uncompetitive interest rate because of your low level of deposit.

So you might as well save a bit more and get a better deal or smaller mortgage. If your DP is reluctant (or can't) to wait and save then I'd be a bit hmm at committing to a mortgage.

Swapsie Wed 27-Mar-13 16:30:34

Thanks everyone, great advice all round. I think it will be a fixed term ISA for the money and thanks for helping me pick my way through the house costs/buying forest.

cantspel Wed 27-Mar-13 16:49:48

If your income is only £20k and a flat would cost £100k and you have a £10k deposit plus enough to cover buying costs i still dont think you would get a mortgage as your income is too low.

Stick it in an isa and forget about it until you are in a better position to buy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now