Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To buy a second hand Bugaboo Cameleon.

(35 Posts)
DueInSeptember Tue 26-Mar-13 12:21:59

Ok just want to see if this is a good idea or not.

Have a six month old baby, she is our second and last baby.

Bought a pushchair for my first daughter new, it is ok for the car/ shopping centres etc but not for walking or pavements as we later found out. When she was a baby (4mths) we bought a second hand off roader type pram which is now battered as we used it so much and it was tatty/old to start with.

I've been looking for a second pram to replace it with for a while. Have come across an ad for a second hand cameleon (in nearly new condtion) for just under £200 with some extras. Looking around this seems pretty good value for this pram and I guess I could ebay it when we're done with it to recoup some of the money as they seem to keep value well.

Have just spoken to my husband and he thinks that it's a waste of money (we're quite careful through choice with money). I'm not sure if it's a good plan or not? Not a particularly fashionable family, just want a good all rounder pram.

AIBU to consider this?

Omnishambolic Tue 26-Mar-13 12:35:47

Your husband sounds like a bundle of joy. Presumably he won't be taking additional paternity leave to look after the baby and push it round in whichever pram you have? That's a good price for a Bugaboo Chameleon. I doubt it would lose much value so you would be able to sell it on. Presumably you would also be selling your first pushchair if you're using the Chameleon as an all rounder?

Only thing I would say is if you actually want it for off roading it's probably better to keep what you've got and buy another second hand off roader eg Mountain buggy. Pavements etc Chameleon is fine and if you want to go off road a bit it's fine switching it round but pushing the fixed wheels first all the time (eg for long woodland walks) would annoy me. I loved my Chameleon though. Do you have a car seat you can fix on it?

DueInSeptember Tue 26-Mar-13 12:58:10

Thanks omni, I do have a car seat that'll fit from my first pram, I would have to buy adaptors though. I'll keep the first pram 'til second stage car seat is used as it folds down small so it's handy for the smaller car - nipping into tesco etc, but prob will sell as a package when car seat not used anymore. The second (off roader) I'll prob offer to charity initially or then dump at tip if not wanted as I doubt it'll sell in it's condition.

Don't do massive amounts of off roading, but occasionally the odd beach or woodland path on the weekend. Would the cameleon cope ok with this? It's the pavements that are the real pain in the behind!

To be fair to my husband he does do his fair share of everything and I did ring him up unexpectedly so it probably did sound like a lot and I would maybe have said the same without thinking about the resale value etc. Glad you think it's a good plan, will put it to him!

ziggyf Tue 26-Mar-13 13:01:25

I wasn't keen on our cameleon really. I found it great on pavements but useless on less even terrain. I wouldn't have taken it on woodland paths. It was also a faff getting it in and out of the car. Personally I'd get a decent all terrain buggy if you like to walk "off road".

OneHundredSecondsofSolitude Tue 26-Mar-13 13:04:25

I live in the countryside and have used ours for two children over all sorts of terrain for four years and its still fab.
I would say though £200 seems awfully cheap. Make sure you check it out thoroughly before committing

DueInSeptember Tue 26-Mar-13 13:05:58

Thanks ziggy, oh so it's not that great on uneven ground. I was looking at the reviews this morning as it's not a pram that I'd considered before and it was quite mixed on how it coped with rough terrain.

DueInSeptember Tue 26-Mar-13 13:07:06

Thanks onehundred, glad you found it good in the country.

KobayashiMaru Tue 26-Mar-13 13:18:10

There is a whole topic for pushchairs/prams, you know.

DueInSeptember Tue 26-Mar-13 13:21:05

Well I've just emailed the seller and it's located in the next county, too far to travel in the week after school and work. I guess could go on the easter weekend if it's still for sale. What things should I look out for, what kind of things go wrong with them?

Omnishambolic Tue 26-Mar-13 14:07:19

Don't worry about surface grubbiness - you can put all the material parts in the washing machine. Check the brake. Check the handle - on some of them (depending on date of manufacture) there was a problem with tiny little screws coming out - Bugaboo sent out replacements but if you lost one before they fixed the problem it meant the handle (which is adjustable for height of pusher) would slide in and out.

When we sold ours we used this company www.buggypitstop.co.uk/ to do a service to fix the handle and put a new brake cable on. It came back like new. There must be similar services near where you live. We didn't pay for them to do a complete clean since as I said, all the material parts you can sling in a washing machine.

DueInSeptember Tue 26-Mar-13 14:12:05

Thanks so much omni, hopefully will persuade DH and view it this weekend if it's still for sale. Will keep your advice in mind.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 26-Mar-13 14:14:21

That sounds like a great price for a chameleon. I've got a Bugaboo Bee and love it.

MrsKeithRichards Tue 26-Mar-13 14:21:41

I've got a frog, on baby number 2 and still going strong, I love it, it's great on the beach, woods etc and general pushing. So easy to push one handed. I would go for it. Easy folded and stored, only issue I can see is for folding on buses it would be tricky to juggle with a babe in arms over an umbrella buggy but that's not an issue for us.

MrsKeithRichards Tue 26-Mar-13 14:25:29

Due I have adaptors going spare, for the amount of use you'd get out of them it seems silly to lay out any extra so you're more than welcome to them if you can check out that they're the same!

They were bought for the frog to use with the maxi cosi seat, as far as I know the frog and chameleons are pretty much the same for most spares but double check and if they'll be any use let me know!

DueInSeptember Tue 26-Mar-13 14:41:36

Thanks very much mrskeithrichards.

toddlerama Tue 26-Mar-13 20:37:46

I think that seems quite expensive! I'm selling a used frog on eBay for £160 at the minute. Do the chameleons go for so much more?

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 26-Mar-13 21:07:21

They don't make the Frog anymore, they still make Chameleons.

Just thinking, that could be why.

showtunesgirl Tue 26-Mar-13 21:14:17

If it's in good nick, that is a VERY good price for a Chameleon.

FreudiansSlipper Tue 26-Mar-13 22:27:57

I found it great it's been on beaches, on commons, pavements, through woods (on paths) even through snow and carries lots of shopping

Only down side it is big and bulky

My friend bought a second hand frog when her ds was 6 months old. She has just sold it as had finished with it and has got back what she paid for it smile.

She loved it and I have to admit I needed no excuse to grab it for a push! I also made a few nice custom hoods which is a great option if you are handy with a sewing machine. I was particularly proud of the space invaders one grin

PoppyWearer Tue 26-Mar-13 22:37:36

We had a Cameleon and it was great, just too big to go in our car. We got a Bee second time around.

I have sold both on eBay still in great working order for amazing prices and the new owners have been delighted too.

£200 is a brilliant price for a Cam!

I can second BuggyPitStop.co.uk, I used them too and they were fab.

Overberries Tue 26-Mar-13 22:45:02

Absolutley love ours, now on child 4, still going strong and use it for everything. Agile enough to push baby one handed and teach DS 3 how to ride his bike grin

MrsKeithRichards Tue 26-Mar-13 23:51:12

Fan I'd pay good money for a space invaders hood please, tell me more

AbyCat Tue 26-Mar-13 23:54:25

Don't do it, unless you live in the middle of nowhere, need to take it off-road, and won't need to put in the car (or take it on public transport).
Seriously, I loved our Bugaboo for the first 3 months when I used it mainly as a carry cot & pram. However, as a pushchair it's not as good, as it doesn't fold up for public transport, I can't fit it in the car boot (only in DH's car which has a huge boot) and it's not that easy to manoeuvre round small shops. Great for walking in the muddy woods/beach with, but after 3-6 m of age, then that's all I've really found it useful for.
Oh - and the brake really isn't good enough, even from new. I wouldn't leave it anywhere on even a really slight slope just in case.

Angelico Wed 27-Mar-13 00:02:31

Good price for Cham assuming all of it is working. We have a Frog (older version of Cham and handle isn't height adjustable) and it's great. You can get the Frog on Ebay for about a hundred quid - would recommend it. If you want the adjustable handle go for the Cham - plus will be easier to get replacement parts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now