Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Nanny spotted reading magazine whilst child at playbarn

(296 Posts)
zebedeethezebra Mon 25-Mar-13 14:04:48

AIBU to be annoyed at my nanny for reading a wedding magazine whilst 3 year old DS is at a playbarn, or do all nannies think it is reasonable to behave like this??

She was spotted by one of my friends the other week. I don't mind her having a coffee or something whilst she is there, but I expect her to keep an eye on DS, not have her nose buried in a magazine. Particularly on the money we pay her.

TheElephantIsADaintyBird Mon 25-Mar-13 14:05:55

Yabu If your child was happily playing and she was keeping a close eye on him

shewhowines Mon 25-Mar-13 14:06:25

YABU

NoelHeadbands Mon 25-Mar-13 14:06:26

This woman clearly needs to die.

Have her shot. More than once

FingersCrossedLegsNot Mon 25-Mar-13 14:06:28

Yabu

Plumsofgold Mon 25-Mar-13 14:06:35

Yabu!!

LeslieKnope Mon 25-Mar-13 14:06:59

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Wingedharpy Mon 25-Mar-13 14:07:20

I just wonder what your friend's motivation was in telling you this?

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Mon 25-Mar-13 14:07:21

Yabu she can read and keep an eye on your son.

shewhowines Mon 25-Mar-13 14:07:28

They are in loco parentis (SP?). If it is ok for a parent to do that then it's ok for the nanny IMO.

grin I am almost smell your outrage from here OP!

YABU.

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 25-Mar-13 14:07:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Welovegrapes Mon 25-Mar-13 14:07:54

YANBU - I wouldn't read a magazine while looking after someone else's 3 year old.

I bet she blinks sometimes as well, how can she keep an eye on your child when she keeps closing them!

Kiriwawa Mon 25-Mar-13 14:08:39

I don't know about all nannies but as a fellow parent I think you sound a bit of a nightmare

NoelHeadbands Mon 25-Mar-13 14:08:43

You should rethink the coffee thing as well btw.

If you start letting them refresh themselves with refreshments and shit, it's a slippery slope to gin, or cake.

UnChartered Mon 25-Mar-13 14:09:01

* I don't mind her having a coffee *

how fucking gracious of you hmm

Snoopingforsoup Mon 25-Mar-13 14:09:03

YABU. I don't follow my DC around Play Barn.
He comes to me if he needs something. It's one of the only places he gets true independent fun.
If your DC's needs were met - no biggie.

Fleecyslippers Mon 25-Mar-13 14:09:07

If it was a quick flick through a magazine then YABU as long as she was still watching and engaging with DS.

If it was anything other than that, YANBU. And those who screech about your utter unreasonableness will be the same posters declaring death on mothers who fail to supervise Tarquin, meaning that he headbutts their little Roland on the slide.

weegiemum Mon 25-Mar-13 14:09:27

yabu.

Just occasionally, my nanny and I went out together (good bonding/catching up time) to a soft play with dd2 (and sometimes ds too). We'd be nattering away (we've remained very good friends!!) andwould realise 20 mins had gone by and we had no idea where dc were. I always read a book when waiting for my dc anywhere!

Startail Mon 25-Mar-13 14:09:31

YABU you can't see DCs most of the time at most soft play places so why in earth shouldn't she read.

I used to go with a nanny to ours and keep her company. We were terrible we chatted and drank coffee while her charges and my DD played.

YABU.

Just out of interest, what do you do when you go to a softplay area with your DS? Of course, I play with mine if one of them wants me to, but if they are happily playing somewhere and know where I am, then I quite happily read a magazine/answer some emails/play some tetris grin.

or do all nannies think it is reasonable to behave like this??

She was reading a mag, maybe she was thinking of a wedding invite poem! grin shock

So this friend saw your nanny reading a magazine and came running to tell you about it? Sounds like a shit stirrer. I feel sorry for the nanny. YABU

Jambonfrites Mon 25-Mar-13 14:09:43

I don't think you're being unreasonable. She's paid to look after your child, not to put her feet up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now