to think that if you phone someone, the onus is then on you to initiate conversation

(28 Posts)
FarleyD Mon 25-Mar-13 13:34:52

.. and not to do what my BIL does every single time. Conversation goes like this:

Phone rings, I answer:

Me: "Hello"

BIL: "Hello"

Me: "Hello?"

Long awkward pause

BIL: "Hello"

And so on, and on and on. Drives me mad. I have no problem asking what he wants, but that's not the point. All very trivial in the grand scheme of things I know, but he's been my BIL for about twenty years now, and he still doesn't know how to converse properly.

twentythirteen Mon 25-Mar-13 14:48:39

I hate this, but I also hate the reverse. Why answer the phone if you can't talk. Me to Step Father

"Hi, how are you?"

Ok

"I'm just wondering how your appt went?"

Fine.

"Um, great, glad to here it. Is mum there?"

He's a slow talker and I simply cannot wait out his silences for him to say anything. It drives me crazy!

2rebecca Mon 25-Mar-13 14:48:41

I answer the phone with "hello rebecca speaking" If it's one of my inlaws and they aren't forthcoming I then say "do you want to speak to x?" although they'll often just say "Is x around?"
If they don't want to speak to my husband I say "what can I do for you?"
If every time he phones you have long drawn out going nowhere conversations as you say in your OP then stop the waffly crap and ask him as soon as you know who it is if he wants your husband and if he says no, ask him what he wants.
Yes of course you say hello first but there's no need to prolong the waffly pleasanteries if he obviously isn't into them.

My dad used to have a friend who wouldn't say anything when he answered the phone confused A couple of times my dad didn't say anything either and they stayed on the phone for ages in absolute silence! grin I think my dad was always the one to give in as well confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now