To not want to be asked this everytime I see her (bf related)

(119 Posts)
GirlWiththeLionHeart Mon 25-Mar-13 10:49:42

Everytime I walk into dp's mothers house with my 3 month old ds: 'Are you still breastfeeding?' Cue awkward 'Um, well yes..'

It's just getting boring now as she's done it everytime from the first visit. She also holds him and talks to him, but directing it at me, saying things like, 'when are you going to start aptimil?' hmm

I feel like bf has gone really smoothly for me and ds and all I get is people trying to stop me sad. Even dp yesterday said he looks to big to still be doing it!

My mum and sister also say to give him a bottle before bed and he will be happier. He's very happy thank you!

I don't expect a well done or a pat on the back but this is just pissing me off now. Rant over.

BertieBotts Mon 25-Mar-13 20:59:02

Tell her you plan to do it until he's 14 and I'm sure she'll give you the cat's bum face and shut up smile

Squiglettsmummy2bx Mon 25-Mar-13 21:56:45

My DS will be 14 months next week & we are still bf & co-sleeping & I keep getting told he will never stop if I carry on now. I just smile & say oh well I hope his girlfriends won't mind wink

candyandyoga Mon 25-Mar-13 22:20:55

Silly woman. Tell her you are giving him the best milk he could have and there's no chance of any formula as long as you are happy and baby is happy.

Am still perplexed as to why you both see her every couple of weeks though. She sounds toxic.

I bet you post about her again!

It is so lovely to read about all of you who have BF successfully and for as long as you wanted to smile.

Otoh it is a quite sad how many of us came up with/had to come up with comebacks to uninvited and unsupportive comments, isn't it sadangry.

I don't care how anybody feed their child. I didn't particularly like BFing and I did not do it particularly long, but I jolly well did it as long as it worked for us both. Even though I stopped around the 1 year mark (by choice, I'd had enough grin), it still go the comments and my replies got increasingly sarky I hate to admit.
If I'd had a 5th child, I may have lamped somebody one grin - just as well I stopped having more.

This thread has cheered me no end x.

oldraver Tue 26-Mar-13 00:00:40

Pacific It is quite sad... I realised while reading this thread that it had slightly spoilt, put a dampner on what should just of been a natural thing as my Mum always used to say "you're going to have to give that up soon" for FOUR flipping years

MidnightMasquerader Tue 26-Mar-13 00:58:40

The 6-month thing really seems to confuse people...

The advice isn't to breastfeed for just six months and then move onto something else, i.e. formula. It's related to weaning and moving onto solids.

The advice states that babies should be exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months of their life, and then started on solids.

But so many people misinterpret it, and use it as a means to pressure women into stopping breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding itself, is recommended for the first two years of a child's life. The 6-month thing is purely in relation to moving onto solid food.

GirlWiththeLionHeart Tue 26-Mar-13 09:05:07

I've only just realised this recently midnight very true! Also you can make porridge with your bm when weaning too, so it's still very much needed. I think I will just tell people to butt out from now on. My ds loves it and so do I

Katienana Tue 26-Mar-13 09:49:13

Is there anything mil does that you could comment on.."when are you going to brush your teeth granny you stink/ clean house/ lose weight..." That would soon shut her up.
At least you know you are doing the right thing I would hate to think of negative comments like this actually stopping someone from bfing.

pigletmania Tue 26-Mar-13 11:17:37

Ignore ignore ignore like others have said tell them that we plan to breastfeed as long as you are able and that it is working very well so will continue

Yes definitely follow Humphrey suggestion, and ignore your dh, just go right ahead and feed your baby and ignore him

GirlWiththeLionHeart Tue 26-Mar-13 11:32:22

I remember we went to Starbucks once and he went looking for a breastfeeding room? While he was hunting around the bog, I just put ds on the boob smile idiot.

Thumbwitch Tue 26-Mar-13 11:34:33

GirlWith - one thing about using BM for porridge etc.; it doesn't keep long because the enzymes in the BM change the consistency! It's all right when just made up but I remember being out with someone who had made some porridge up with BM that morning and brought it with her - it had all gone completely runny.

GirlWiththeLionHeart Tue 26-Mar-13 11:39:11

Thanks Thumb I read its ok to use cows milk for cooking at 6 months, is that right? If so it sounds easier than expressing (which I hate doing)

spiritedaway Tue 26-Mar-13 11:40:06

I fed my little boy till he was 2 and he would shout out in the street a cheerful "hello boobies" and give a little wave if any fine ones caught his eye. . Well done OP, do what makes you and your little one happy Haven't read all posts but guess you have been advised to seek out some like minded groups where you can hang out (so to speak) and get some moral support

Thumbwitch Tue 26-Mar-13 11:58:52

Have a read of this re. use of cow's milk - should be ok for occasional use but not as a main drink.

GirlWiththeLionHeart Tue 26-Mar-13 12:08:54

Interesting, thank you. Maybe using formula then. I guess he won't be having foods made with milk a lot until older. Was just going to start with vegetables, fruit, pasta, cheese etc

GirlWiththeLionHeart Tue 26-Mar-13 12:09:21

spirited love your ds waving at boobies! smile

Thumbwitch Tue 26-Mar-13 12:15:06

I used rice milk with DS1 but that is now a definite No-no, thanks to the arsenic content sad
Oat milk is another option if you don't want to go the formula route; I do wonder sometimes how much of this information is real and how much of it is skewed by commercial interests... even when it comes from medical sources. A huge amount of information that comes doctors' way is from commercial sources - pharmaceutical companies, primarily - and it's not all strictly accurate!

butterandbread157 Tue 26-Mar-13 13:31:00

I feel your pain!!
I hated it when family did this to me also. Especially my own DM, who kept saying things like 'why are you not giving up, she'll sleep better on formula, maybe she's not getting enough...etc etc"

Like Softlysoftly says it's never ends! I'm now used to it and just smile and nod and mostly ignore!!!!

All good advice above and love some of the comments to say to mil smile , I continued till 8mo ( had to get operation or would've carried on)

DontmindifIdo Tue 26-Mar-13 13:42:59

cows milk is fine for cooking with - it's not bad for them when weaning, just not as their main drink IYSWIM - formula is mainly made from cows milk and having stuff added to it - if you are using breast milk still as the 3-4 'big' feeds a day, then cows milk in porridge is fine.

Mind you, I give you about a fortnight before your MIL stops going on about BFing and moves on to nagging you to give your DS solids... wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now