clearing paths- the old chestnut!

(24 Posts)
Theas18 Mon 25-Mar-13 09:52:14

OK I'm a partner at work. Another partner has cleared a path at the front of the building in the deep snow. I think he's bonkers and we are open to being sued by people falling if we don't clear the snow, but probably more so if we HAVE cleared because a bit of a melt and re freeze will render it lethal, and we will have altered what might be seen as " act of god" or what ever.

What do you think. AIBU to be worried about it either way?!

EffieTheDuck Mon 25-Mar-13 09:53:46

Salt the path when it freezes.

RedHelenB Mon 25-Mar-13 09:54:00

Council workers were clearing the paths on Saturday if that's any help.

Tee2072 Mon 25-Mar-13 09:55:04

You are not liable, at least in NI, if you clear the path. Check your local council website for advice. You actually may be liable, as a business owner, if you don't clear the path.

SirChenjin Mon 25-Mar-13 09:55:54

Clear it and salt or grit it!

YABU in that you are wrong, clearing the snow does NOT leave you open to being sued - I am really not sure whether that particular fear comes from. 'Tis not true.

IMVHO, not clearling snow when it is fresh is madness. The mess resulting from partial daytime melting and nightrime freezing is what makes pavements really treacherous.

Clear snow when fresh, then put salt/grit down.

tazzle22 Mon 25-Mar-13 09:59:06

certainly to consider ....... given that locally to me a man sued the church/ council because he slipped on some yew berries fallen from a yew tree inside a closed churches grounds but that had fallen on the path alongside shock

the case was settled before it came to court ........ but what the heck ........ some folk just dont take responsibility for putting thier feet in safe places or accepting that there are risks inherant in all aspects of life.

Compensation should be reserved for gross negligence of commercial / public premises not easily forseen natural phenomenon !!!!!!!!

Catchingmockingbirds Mon 25-Mar-13 10:01:17

Salt the path afterwards.

Theas18 Mon 25-Mar-13 10:03:13

We are getting some rock salt delivered asap too. Some kiind people have bust our grit box over the weekend that was out " action plan" from last time... Grr!

Thanks. i'll tell him well done smile

zlist Mon 25-Mar-13 10:05:43

YABU - make sure that grit has been put down. Your partner did the right thing. You would only be sued if you had done something really stupid like cleared the path with water. The whole being sued for clearing a path is an urban myth.
Snow Code

OddBoots Mon 25-Mar-13 10:06:34

... don't believe the myths - it's unlikely you'll be sued or held legally responsible for any injuries if you have cleared the path carefully. - The Snow Code

PseudoBadger Mon 25-Mar-13 10:09:08

Just use ordinary salt

SirChenjin Mon 25-Mar-13 10:10:11

Ordinary table salt is fine in the meantime

Dawndonna Mon 25-Mar-13 10:51:12

It is a myth that you will be sued.

raspberryroop Mon 25-Mar-13 10:53:58

Its not a myth that you maybe sued - its just a myth that there would be a huge payout !

stressyBessy22 Mon 25-Mar-13 13:18:11

It is NOt a myth.The 'snow code 'says :-

'And don't believe the myths - it's unlikely you'll be sued or held legally responsible for any injuries if you have cleared the path carefully

TheBigJessie Mon 25-Mar-13 13:22:15

So, basically, you'' only be sued if you do something actually negligent, like pouring boiling water on to a path, which would later turn into black ice.

I cleared my street last time. People stopped to thank me. I had no fear of being sued, as I, an ickle woman, cleared the path properly.

Tee2072 Mon 25-Mar-13 13:33:32

Well, you could still be sued. It's just whether the suit would be successful or even thrown out of court.

You can be sued, really, any time by anyone.

Well yes, you can be sued anytime by anyone for anything it seems these days, but it is not in any way discouraged by law to clear a path.

And common sense would suggest it's better to clear than not to clear.

FWIW I grew up in a country with a lot more snow than here were you were liable by law if anybody fell on your uncleared path. I recently cleared my MiL's considerable drived right after it had snowed and it was a joy to do, so easy. Except for the few footsteps the postie had left behind - they were stuck on to the tarmac.
So clear snow ASAP.

The water thing is just stoopid - people ought to sued for that grin.

DreamingofSummer Mon 25-Mar-13 14:30:00

Health and Safety myths

www.hse.gov.uk/myth/index.htm

SquinkieBunnies Mon 25-Mar-13 16:55:43

Cat litter works well if you don't have grit.

SirChenjin Mon 25-Mar-13 16:56:42

Make sure you don't use the paper based stuff or you end up with mush <nods sagely as a result of bitter experience>

ChunkyPickle Mon 25-Mar-13 17:06:41

dishwasher salt adds a good level of gritiness..

My Childminder has a really steep drive, and in her wisdom decided not to do anything about it during the snow as 'snow is easier to walk on than ice' - rubbish, we all walked on her flower beds as the drive was lethal after the first couple of people had gone down it, and I took to carrying a bag of salt and liberally sprinkled the next day....

in Canada we have to clear our paths within 24 hours of the snow stopping falling. if we don't the council can come and clear them for us and fine us for not doing it.

if you shovel the snow off the path the pavement dries and it's plain sailing. If you leave it it's a bloody nightmare grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now