...to think that LinkedIn isn't so mum-friendly?

(189 Posts)
semi Sun 24-Mar-13 22:07:07

I am a working mum with quite a few professional contacts on Linkedin and have found that most self-employed women/mumpreneurs I've spotted in the press haven't got a Linkedin profile. What's that all about? Don't virtual networks well lend themselves to busy mums? Or is it that we just don't like to share what we are up to? Talk about our successes/achievements?

mindosa Thu 28-Mar-13 11:48:50

Its for professionals, why oh why does the world have to revolve around Mums,

As an aside I roar laughing at those Red and Easy Living profiles of women running cottage industries that clearly are not making a penny!

Trills Thu 28-Mar-13 11:46:19

I am not any kind of preneur. Sorry.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 28-Mar-13 09:44:53

<lowering tone> someone on another thread has called herself a cuntrepreneur.

Cuntrepreneur and Cocktrepreneur. It could catch on.

Floaty - I think I know the answer to that one ...

QuintEggSensuality Tue 26-Mar-13 18:15:08

I wish we could afford market research!!

FloatyBeatie Tue 26-Mar-13 18:15:03

BIWI, I'd like you to mumarket-research the scope for my new limumited comumpany which will be mumanagement comumsulting for the busy mumtreprenuer.

Nobody on this thread wants to buy some market research then? <hopeful>
Would save me going to all that trouble on mum-unfriendly Linked In
grin

Talkinpeace Tue 26-Mar-13 16:27:26

Because
the other trick is to tweak and update your profile every few days - keeps you on the front page when people log in.
I'm connected to lots of former colleagues and University friends as well as family and real life friends who are on there
and its is best for checking people out.

THe beancounting discussion groups are pretty lively.

slightlysoupstained Tue 26-Mar-13 16:22:37

Because - why don't you try a fairly soft start by just sharing a few update messages? (On the front page). I only see those when I log in, so am not bothered about marketing there in the same way as I am if it arrives in my email inbox.

I wish I knew what to do with it rather than more than I do now.

I hate the number of people who want to add me to their network who are just recruiters or from Indian research companies. I don't know them, so why network with them?

On the other hand, I have 402 connections, and I'd like to be able to market to (some) of them - but how to do this without appearing to spam them?

QuintEggSensuality Tue 26-Mar-13 15:00:14

I think it is a much more formal and professional environment than Twitter for sure.

Facebook is for family and friends, twitter for fun and serious social networking with people you know and dont know, LinkedIn for work. Thats how I take it.

FloatyBeatie Tue 26-Mar-13 14:25:42

Thanks, both of you. It sounds like it should definitely only be a place for noting real life, substantial connections, not like Twitter etc where you form purely online relationships quite readily. That's useful to know.

QuintEggSensuality Tue 26-Mar-13 14:16:16

You have to be a bit careful too.

A person who made a contact request, was also connected to two other people I know professionally, has now started spamming me emails about her services!

I think that is a bit off.

I now have the dilemma whether to disconnect or not. Clearly just interested in harvesting email addresses for email marketing. Is it classified Unsolicited if from a LinkedIn contact, although you have not asked for information or to be contacted?

So, to the point: Dont add strangers!

badguider Tue 26-Mar-13 14:09:41

Floaty - only add people you genuinely know and who you respect and are on the same wavelength work-wise because people will look at your contacts and judge you on them. If I see somebody has worked with lots of people I respect and enjoy working with then I think I will like working with that person. If they are connected to people I find 'difficult' then I might be more guarded with them.
I started with people I really liked from my previous teams/companies - it's a good way to stay in touch with people as if you only know them professionally you only have their work email and phone number and if they move on you can lose touch. In fact, almost everybody I have on there are previous teammates from old jobs but they've all moved to so many other places now that it's become a wide circle of connections.

FloatyBeatie Tue 26-Mar-13 13:57:15

It's been very interesting to read here about the uses that people do make of LinkedIn. I've got a profile there, but because I was never sure whether LinkedIn was remotely relevant or useful for me, I haven't at all taken the trouble to build up a big list of contacts there (or friends or followers or whatever they are called on LinkedIn). So now I worry a little that having such a small set of connections makes me look weedy or bad. It seems from what some have said that the CV-type information on the profile is worth retaining, though, so probably not a good idea to delete membership altogether. Hmm. Not sure what to do. I hate the idea of scrabbling around for contacts to add.

ilovexmastime Tue 26-Mar-13 13:29:35

Same here Wonky.

wonkylegs Tue 26-Mar-13 13:21:00

slightlysoupstained I think the discussion forums probably depend what industry you are in. The ones I'm linked to are quite busy & interesting but they tend to be around established professional groups.

StillSeekingSpike Tue 26-Mar-13 13:04:13

'I also took in the "sneery bits" about "cupcakes and bunting".'

The sneering is at those who characterise female businesses as the above- and runs by 'busy mums'. Of course, perhaps there are millions of articles about dadtrepenurs and busy working dads running their 'little' businesses from their kitchen tables....

slightlysoupstained Tue 26-Mar-13 12:41:43

I haven't got a job directly through LinkedIn, but I've referred others, so yes in some industries and professions you can get work through it.

I'm actually a little surprised if I'm reviewing a CV and can't find them on LinkedIn. So I guess that suggests it's way more common in my small bubble. (I usually cross-check CV with LinkedIn - sometimes you find the bloody recruiter has "helpfully" mangled it, sometimes you catch out someone who's forgotten to change profile to match current embroidered CV. Also if someone I trust has worked with them I might ask.)

I generally think of it as designed for recruiters (who pay for premium accounts) with a few features sprinkled in to make it attractive enough for the saleable product (ordinary users) to stick around. And the discussion forums are either dead or appalling.

Talkinpeace Tue 26-Mar-13 11:40:45

I'm a mum.
I run a business.
But its the same business I ran before I became a Mum.
And accountancy was never particularly "fluffy".

DH is a Dad
He runs a business
His business IS centred around children.
Should he amend his Linkedin profile to call himself a Dadrepeneur?
Or just stay as a Company director?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 26-Mar-13 09:09:58

I frickin' LOVE "ether of meh"

I'm on LinkedIn. I find it useful to get a quick view of someone before I meet them, make sure I can access their details after meeting them so don't have to save business cards etc.

Personally I find the term 'mumpreneur' sneery.

DolomitesDonkey Tue 26-Mar-13 08:51:12

I did take that bit in, I also took in the "sneery bits" about "cupcakes and bunting".

<applauds Floaty>

FloatyBeatie Tue 26-Mar-13 08:15:38

Think you've misunderstood the thread, dolomite. It isn't sneering at any woman in business -- including women in parenting-related start-ups. It's sneering at the trivialization of women in business that happens when people use a cosy pigeon-holing neologism dooming businesswomen to be regarded always through the filter of their status as mothers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now