...to think that LinkedIn isn't so mum-friendly?

(189 Posts)
semi Sun 24-Mar-13 22:07:07

I am a working mum with quite a few professional contacts on Linkedin and have found that most self-employed women/mumpreneurs I've spotted in the press haven't got a Linkedin profile. What's that all about? Don't virtual networks well lend themselves to busy mums? Or is it that we just don't like to share what we are up to? Talk about our successes/achievements?

badguider Tue 26-Mar-13 14:09:41

Floaty - only add people you genuinely know and who you respect and are on the same wavelength work-wise because people will look at your contacts and judge you on them. If I see somebody has worked with lots of people I respect and enjoy working with then I think I will like working with that person. If they are connected to people I find 'difficult' then I might be more guarded with them.
I started with people I really liked from my previous teams/companies - it's a good way to stay in touch with people as if you only know them professionally you only have their work email and phone number and if they move on you can lose touch. In fact, almost everybody I have on there are previous teammates from old jobs but they've all moved to so many other places now that it's become a wide circle of connections.

QuintEggSensuality Tue 26-Mar-13 14:16:16

You have to be a bit careful too.

A person who made a contact request, was also connected to two other people I know professionally, has now started spamming me emails about her services!

I think that is a bit off.

I now have the dilemma whether to disconnect or not. Clearly just interested in harvesting email addresses for email marketing. Is it classified Unsolicited if from a LinkedIn contact, although you have not asked for information or to be contacted?

So, to the point: Dont add strangers!

FloatyBeatie Tue 26-Mar-13 14:25:42

Thanks, both of you. It sounds like it should definitely only be a place for noting real life, substantial connections, not like Twitter etc where you form purely online relationships quite readily. That's useful to know.

QuintEggSensuality Tue 26-Mar-13 15:00:14

I think it is a much more formal and professional environment than Twitter for sure.

Facebook is for family and friends, twitter for fun and serious social networking with people you know and dont know, LinkedIn for work. Thats how I take it.

I wish I knew what to do with it rather than more than I do now.

I hate the number of people who want to add me to their network who are just recruiters or from Indian research companies. I don't know them, so why network with them?

On the other hand, I have 402 connections, and I'd like to be able to market to (some) of them - but how to do this without appearing to spam them?

slightlysoupstained Tue 26-Mar-13 16:22:37

Because - why don't you try a fairly soft start by just sharing a few update messages? (On the front page). I only see those when I log in, so am not bothered about marketing there in the same way as I am if it arrives in my email inbox.

Talkinpeace Tue 26-Mar-13 16:27:26

Because
the other trick is to tweak and update your profile every few days - keeps you on the front page when people log in.
I'm connected to lots of former colleagues and University friends as well as family and real life friends who are on there
and its is best for checking people out.

THe beancounting discussion groups are pretty lively.

Nobody on this thread wants to buy some market research then? <hopeful>
Would save me going to all that trouble on mum-unfriendly Linked In
grin

FloatyBeatie Tue 26-Mar-13 18:15:03

BIWI, I'd like you to mumarket-research the scope for my new limumited comumpany which will be mumanagement comumsulting for the busy mumtreprenuer.

QuintEggSensuality Tue 26-Mar-13 18:15:08

I wish we could afford market research!!

Floaty - I think I know the answer to that one ...

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 28-Mar-13 09:44:53

<lowering tone> someone on another thread has called herself a cuntrepreneur.

Cuntrepreneur and Cocktrepreneur. It could catch on.

Trills Thu 28-Mar-13 11:46:19

I am not any kind of preneur. Sorry.

mindosa Thu 28-Mar-13 11:48:50

Its for professionals, why oh why does the world have to revolve around Mums,

As an aside I roar laughing at those Red and Easy Living profiles of women running cottage industries that clearly are not making a penny!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now