...to think that LinkedIn isn't so mum-friendly?

(189 Posts)
semi Sun 24-Mar-13 22:07:07

I am a working mum with quite a few professional contacts on Linkedin and have found that most self-employed women/mumpreneurs I've spotted in the press haven't got a Linkedin profile. What's that all about? Don't virtual networks well lend themselves to busy mums? Or is it that we just don't like to share what we are up to? Talk about our successes/achievements?

fromparistoberlin Mon 25-Mar-13 08:59:21

yabu

firstly for using the term mumpreneurs, BOAK

and secondly for articulating a silly idea that a professional website does not lend itself to mums. HOW ON EARTH!!!

SO, another yabu I am afraid

aurynne Mon 25-Mar-13 09:07:27

I guess if my DH and I became self-employed we'd be "dinkpreneurs" then?

I have honestly never heard the term mumtrepreneur.

I'm sort of angry to now know it even exists tbh.

YABSUICEPIIW*

(*you are being so unreasonable I can't even put it into words)

teatrolley Mon 25-Mar-13 09:11:32

'Don't virtual networks well lend themselves to busy mums?'

I just threw up a little.

Suzietwo Mon 25-Mar-13 09:19:35

the thing about linked in (and twitter) is that it can work pretty effectively as a profile raising exercise. if someone is thinking about using your services they often want to make sure you're connected to the 'right' people and that your name features among the top levels of them.

it is unlikely to be the way that people get your name but it may well be what secures you the job, if the profile looks right. i check everyone on linked in, from potential clients, opposite numbers (im a solicitor) and other people who might be involved in a matter.

i agree that those at the very top of their game dont need a linked in profile - everyone knows who they are - but im happy to admit i am not among those people and need all the help i can get.

semi Mon 25-Mar-13 09:23:35

like the point about dadpreneurs not labelling themselves as such. was talking.about self.employed women who are juggling motherhood with a new/existing business using networking sites such as.linkedin to drum up business and.augment their CVS with their business successes not antics about their kids that many mums blog about. funnily enough I'm not a fan of the word either..its entered the vernacular so made sense to use it. so I guess I.am being.unreasonable thanks for the decode. and good.luck to.the.one.lady who has posted that her biz.is 5 years.plus and.she uses the site. wink wink

semi Mon 25-Mar-13 09:29:48

teatrolley: mumsnet is a virtual network that seems to lend itself to people barfing when they dont.like how others speak or write.wink

Tee2072 Mon 25-Mar-13 09:31:10

But it hasn't entered the vernacular except by lazy journalists looking to stir up a fight.

And I hope you write proper English on LinkedIn. Or your whole network will drop you.

Tee2072 Mon 25-Mar-13 09:32:38

Perhaps this site would suit the OP better than LinkedIN? Since she seems to think being a mum has something to do with being an entrepreneur.

Frogman Mon 25-Mar-13 09:34:49

Oh no, not another stupid made up word " mumpreneur" Ghastly.

givemeaclue Mon 25-Mar-13 09:37:31

Omg at that link...the mumpreneur award scrolls tied up with pink ribbon...

Catchingmockingbirds Mon 25-Mar-13 09:38:25

I'm a parent and I'm on LinkedIn, DP is a parent and he is on LinkedIn too. I can honestly say I didn't give DS a second thought when I signed up and can't work out why I should have.

Eskino Mon 25-Mar-13 09:39:46

That weird presenter, Evan Davies used the term "Mumpreneur" <spit> on dragons den last night.

Tee2072 Mon 25-Mar-13 09:40:08

Rather scary, eh givemeaclue. Never heard of it until I just bitched about the word on my Twitter and was linked to it.

What a scary place. And sad. Too bad all those women seem to really care about is that they are mums. Like their businesses have no value.

semi Mon 25-Mar-13 09:40:30

tee2072 I can't open your suggested link. I think I've clarified my point. you are clearly at liberty to continue to disagree. smile

cleofatra Mon 25-Mar-13 09:41:06

I am a mum and a business woman and on Linkedin.
I'd say the people the OP is eluding to are just not on out of choice.

Tee2072 Mon 25-Mar-13 09:42:53

Funny, no one else is having trouble opening it. Perhaps you're not mum enough?

And thanks for you continued condescension. Can I have the name of your business so I can be sure to never use it or link to you on any LinkedIn site and tell my friends the same?

givemeaclue Mon 25-Mar-13 09:43:10

I would say op has not clarified any point or am I missing something

cleofatra Mon 25-Mar-13 09:43:29

I have an acquaintance who pushes her marketing based on her having given birth to a child. She goes in for all sorts of "mums in business" awards and such like and makes use of her toddler with wee vlogs/tweets etc based on her "busy mum" lifestyle. Kak.

Suzietwo Mon 25-Mar-13 09:44:44

"As well as supporting and celebrating "mumpreneurs", a mum who juggles running a business with family life"

juggles. i cant read that word without wanting to smash someones face in

dawntigga Mon 25-Mar-13 09:45:03

Dear goddess, it's like feminism never happened isn't it.

NeverBeingDefinedByHerBiologicalRelationshipsTiggaxx

semi Mon 25-Mar-13 09:46:18

floatybeattie: Yep I must have missed that part of.the linkedin sign up. you are clearly on a different possibly more upscale subscription to me smile

Eskino Mon 25-Mar-13 09:46:31

Cheers Tee, another mumsnet link that I will have to scrub out of my eyes with bleach grin

Tee2072 Mon 25-Mar-13 09:46:50

Glad to help, Eskino. grin

WallyBantersJunkBox Mon 25-Mar-13 09:48:57

I am a mum, and I'm on Linkedin.

I don't see the connection. Am I supposed to put a pic of me and DS together on there as I have on FB?

How would being a mum make the slightest bit of difference to my career networking status?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now