to be worried about Universal Credit

(969 Posts)
idiuntno57 Sat 23-Mar-13 20:21:42

I am in the lucky position of not needing to claim this but I am so worried about its implementation.

Its coming in in the Autumn and is going to be an online only, monthly, postdated payment. It will be paid to one adult in the family unit.

All well and did if you are god at managing your money, internet literate and in a stable relationship. But in the real world....

How are the most vulnerable in society going to have a chance with this?

Already the council tax changes are coming in and as far as I understand people are confused and shell shocked by it. UC is much bigger and no one is prepared.

vivizone Sat 23-Mar-13 21:06:46

heard

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Sat 23-Mar-13 21:07:08

Given the fiasco of government to date this term surely to God no-one will ever vote Conservative ever again? Fingers crossed the cunts get booted come summer 2015 and the UC system will be dismantled with them. It will be too late for plenty of kids though. New claimants will be moving across from Oct 2013 sad

marjproops Sat 23-Mar-13 21:08:54

Im worried about the increase in crime too.

and as for UC. well, words fail me.

Im already low on things, and I budget like anything.

I NEVER waste money, dont have a cred card and never wilol, i save for things but not going to be able to do that much ay more.

fed up not ever being able to afford a holiday, EVER, you can only go to parks and museums so many times.

now with councuil tax and bedroom tax (and have to move now, another upheaval for an autistic child) and food gone up (they want you to buy fairtrade but have you seen the prices?).

fed up with lying cheating politicians. lining theiir pockets.

idiuntno57 Sat 23-Mar-13 21:14:54

inneed you are right that it is the kids that suffer but it is too black and white to say 'don't have kids if you can't afford them '

I have x4 dc. today i can afford them but what if DS were to leave or die or go to prison and I developed a drug habit.....

My point is that we as a society are not prepared for the implications of UC. We appear to have lost every vestige of humanity and there will be real consequences.

TheSecondComing Sat 23-Mar-13 21:15:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nomorebuttons Sat 23-Mar-13 21:15:56

All though Universal Credit is going live in October, it will initially only be rolled out in one major northern city. As of October only new claims of single people (within that northern city) will be made as Universal Credit whilst they iron out the issues with it. It won't go live across the country for quite some time yet.

Dawndonna Sat 23-Mar-13 21:19:39

There is no real poverty in this country it's neglect and neglect is a form of abuse against your dc.
Complete bunkum. And just because you have been there and managed doesn't for one second mean others will.

TheSecondComing Sat 23-Mar-13 21:19:52

idiuntno57 Sat 23-Mar-13 21:21:57

from April 2014 all new claims nationwide will be via this system.

that is only a year away

CremeEggThief Sat 23-Mar-13 21:22:37

I am worried too, particularly because of the lack of clear, accurate information about UC.

People should be trained and helped to budget monthly if they are used to budgeting weekly on I.S./ JSA. To me, it seems they are being set up to fail sad.

vivizone Sat 23-Mar-13 21:22:44

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS, I honestly believe a majority of those who voted for Conservative did so because of immigration and nothing more. Example, Sun readers. They tend to be working class but got so caught up with the propaganda re immigration, they forgot that Conservatives are not their friend. Now they are experiencing the cuts, their heads are spinning. All they can shout out is 'UKIP' another party promising to bash the heads of immigrants.

I will read up re this Credit thing.

One thing I will give Conservative credit for is they have played a blinding game in dividing people. I can't remember the last time where people where out for each others neck.

Meglet Sat 23-Mar-13 21:23:58

I don't like the idea of it being paid to just one adult within the fanily. Isn't that going to be a goldmine for abusive parters to control their other halves?

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Sat 23-Mar-13 21:25:37

I've just googled and found some 'roll out' detail:

www.money.co.uk/article/1008635-what-is-universal-credit.htm

Plus From April 2013 UC will trial in four areas of Greater Manchester and Cheshire: Wigan, Tameside, Oldham and Warrington.

TheSecondComing Sat 23-Mar-13 21:27:46

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Sat 23-Mar-13 21:29:27

Agree Vivi.

marjproops Sat 23-Mar-13 21:30:04

idiuntno57 i seriously hope you are joking about a drug habit. hmm

feeding children and looking after them without being in a haze is the priority, nOT a drug habit which unfortunaelty is why a LOT of children go hungry to school. as other posters have said,

some probs are serious but others its neglect.

ive gone without to feed and clothe DC (should be a halo emoticon!!!!)

(and before anyone points out the obv, ill defend myself...my computer was kindly donated to me and a good friend pays for my internet use as these days evryone contacts you through emails and stuff)

idiuntno57 Sat 23-Mar-13 21:30:42

and meglet what if your family us more fluid than the conservative ideal of married with two DS from this union:

mum with series of partners, learning difficulties, troubled kids, abuse etc. ...managing her finances online isn't going to be a walk in the park

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Sat 23-Mar-13 21:31:32

Shit, Second. Maybe if the pilot is disastrous (and crime rises/children are starving etc) then the scheme will be scrapped

idiuntno57 Sat 23-Mar-13 21:33:04

marj i wasn't joking. Trying to say that circumstances do change not always for the better and UC is not going to help

TheSecondComing Sat 23-Mar-13 21:33:57

marjproops Sat 23-Mar-13 21:34:47

also found out that theyre not helping with mobility any more.

great. a mother and child with disabilities who cant walk for long...ermm....hello? and countless others.

but who to vote for next time then?

marjproops Sat 23-Mar-13 21:36:28

I predict a riot...I predict a riot....la la la.

Thats what itll come to, peoplenare fedup with this and therell be civil (why do they call it civil?) war soon, us and them.

BreconBeBuggered Sat 23-Mar-13 21:36:49

However well you budget your benefits, I can't see how it's possible for a claimant's final weekly or fortnightly payment to stretch out until the first monthly one arrives. And that's assuming there are no IT glitches to fuck people up.

idiuntno57 Sat 23-Mar-13 21:41:22

I feel like during through Westminster naked screaming 'you have nooo idea` to the complacent politicians of all parties.

Now THAT would out me grin

wannabeEostregoddess Sat 23-Mar-13 21:41:25

SS never once checked my cupboards. What a load of shit!

And its not all about "budgeting" either. I budget us to the last penny. But if outgoings exceed income, budgets cant fix it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now