Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To let DS feed himself from the highchair tray?

(311 Posts)

Long, sorry...

Birthday lunch for a family friend at a country pub. 8 adults, DS1 (3yo) and DS2 (13mo)

We eat out a lot with the DC so they behave pretty well; no shouting, chucking food etc. DS1 eats like a mini-adult, uses cutlery, no probs. DS2 feeds himself nicely and has done for months (BLW) but as his pasta has arrived as an enormous adult-sized portion on a plate, I pick up a dollop or two and put them on the tray of his highchair. He scoffs away. The babywipes are poised next to him.

Waiter(asst.manager/supervisor?) hovers; 'is there something wrong with the plate?'
Me; confused 'sorry?'
Waiter; 'IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE PLATE?' (crossly, with sarcasm)
Me; <stammers> um, oh, sorry...it was a bit hot...he tends to push the plate around...might get broken...I WILL clean the tray myself and wipe up any mess when he's finished...
Waiter;'oh, it's just I couldn't believe it when I saw you just dumping it on the tray like that'
Me; shock
DH; Er, hang on a minute mate, that's how he eats? No harm done! Do you have children?!'
Waiter; 'no, but I was one once, and my mother would never have just put food in front of me like that...she'd have fed me properly'

At this point my bottom lip went blush and DH asked him if he'd meant to be so rude(!). He then said; 'well, half of your party were 30mins late for the booking, and then she (gestures) dumps food straight on the table....'

I got a bit upset. Soothing noises ensued from all our party. After about 20mins he returns

Waiter; 'um, right, about earlier; I'm sorry you were upset but... '
Me; (cutting in) 'are you apologising?'
Waiter; 'no, thank you for cleaning up, but I stand by what I sai..'
Me; (nicely) 'I don't want to hear it, thanks!'
Waiter; (loudly, while walking off with his hands raised in despair) 'Ok, fine, you just carry on doing that in every restaurant you go to and see what happens...'

shock and grin

WIBU?

Thumbwitch Sat 23-Mar-13 22:30:17

God, how rude! And then the half-arsed "apology" - grrrr!

As an aside, hats off to MrPloppy for having been sufficiently indoctrinated in the Ways of MN to ask if he meant to be so rude grin

YWNBU. You cleaned the tray, you put some food on, you said you'd clean the tray afterwards. What, exactly is the issue? It went against his idea of "normal"? He'd better cop onto himself if he ever plans to have children.

So sorry your meal out was spoilt in this way!

exoticfruits Sat 23-Mar-13 22:34:16

My DS2 did exactly the same- only we didn't used to call it blw- it was just what babies did. The waiter said he was their messiest customer ever! However he said it to DS2 in a jokey way, and he had been really friendly all the way through. DS1 was very impressed to have his brother as the messiest customer ever!

exoticfruits Sat 23-Mar-13 22:35:01

We didn't clean the tray either- the waiter said it was quite alright.

Where do we stand on chop sticks?

Also I took my dcs to tapas bars when they were babies. Was I unreasonable to demand cutlery so as to set a good example?

Babies shouldn't stand on chopsticks obviously. That is to be frowned upon.

landrover Sat 23-Mar-13 23:00:30

Hotcross, have a drink wine

<<accepts wine>>

<<tips it on table and drinks with a straw>>

PurpleStorm Sat 23-Mar-13 23:07:10

YANBU.

The waiter was extremely rude. I've seen plenty of people put food directly onto highchair trays when eating out. And the waiter's daft, if he really thinks that a large, hot, china plate is suitable for a 13 month old child to eat directly from.

DS also tends to throw plates etc around, so no way could we leave a china plate on his highchair tray unless one of us was holding on to the plate at all times.

And FWIW, we ended up doing BLW with DS because he refused to take anything off a spoon unless he was holding it all by himself. Any attempts by us to spoonfeed him anything were met with a tightly clamped shut mouth, and him straining his head as far away from the spoon as possible. So we gave up on 'conventional' weaning very quickly, as it was getting us absolutely nowhere, and was clearly against DS's wishes.

DS will occasionally allow us to spoonfeed him some food now (he's 19 months now), but only if it's a food that he recognises as being something he likes.

I'd also point out to everlong that BLW parents are still meant to supervise their childrens meals, in case they start to choke on their food. You don't (or shouldn't, at any rate) just put food down in front of the baby and then wander off to do something more exciting.

SecretLindtBunny Sat 23-Mar-13 23:11:23

Why are you bothering with a straw, o weaselly one?

Bend over and lick it up!

OxfordBags Sat 23-Mar-13 23:13:39

Erm, Everlong, how do you think people fed their babies before spoons and puréeimg tools were invented? Or in societies now where they don't use Western-style utensils? You say you don't get BLW and no, you don't.

I mixed-fed DS, before you accuse me of being a BLW evangelist, btw. Sometimes he wanted me to feed him, sometimes he wanted to feed himself. BLW really does take more work. And was actually often mich less messy.

kungfupannda Sat 23-Mar-13 23:16:31

What a strange man.

We always do this, unless it's something particularly sloppy. If we give DS2 access to a bowl he will immediately up-end it over his own head.

If we let him do it himself, he eats perfectly well. Until he decides he has had enough and the only way to express that is to hurl a piece of pasta at me while shouting "Bye bye!"

We always clean up as best we can, although usually someone tells us not to worry about it.

landrover Sat 23-Mar-13 23:34:35

Secret and Hotcross, have some chocolate too, just dont make a mess!!!! wink

MidniteScribbler Sun 24-Mar-13 01:50:28

Waiter; 'no, but I was one once, and my mother would never have just put food in front of me like that...she'd have fed me properly'

You: 'It's a shame she didn't give the same attention to teaching you some decent manners, isn't it?'

smeeeheee Sun 24-Mar-13 02:12:34

What an absolute cock. I'd have been fired for talking to a customer like that when I was a waitress. Bellend.

everlong Sun 24-Mar-13 08:08:13

Oxford I don't need to get blw.
I've brought 5 dc up, feeding them the normal way. They are perfectly healthy, have never had an issue with food and of normal weight.

There is no better way. It's what suits your family.

Popsie3 Sun 24-Mar-13 08:21:05

Ditto everlong wink

MidnightMasquerader Sun 24-Mar-13 08:29:18

So what exactly is the 'normal' way, then?

Pilgit Sun 24-Mar-13 08:29:19

YANBU. I made some portable, non-slip, wipe clean mats for just this purpose. I'd leave a review about it on top table or trip advisor (or an of the other review sites)

everlong Sun 24-Mar-13 08:34:00

Normal for me is with a spoon and bowl.

DolomitesDonkey Sun 24-Mar-13 08:39:20

YANBU of course, however I don't believe for one moment your husband actually said "did you mean to be so rude?" I'm cringing on your behalf that you actually wrote that.

Emilythornesbff Sun 24-Mar-13 08:40:39

YWNBU IMHO.
The waiter behaved like a bit of a fuckwit tbh.
Never mind.

MrsSpagBol Sun 24-Mar-13 09:02:26

And the judgey pants award goes to ......

everlong

flowers

everlong Sun 24-Mar-13 09:18:57

LOL.

Yeah judgy for having a different opinion.

MrsSpagBol Sun 24-Mar-13 09:54:43

Totally fine to have a different opinion but calling yourself "normal" and thus implying people who disagree are "abnormal" is definitely judgey!

everlong Sun 24-Mar-13 10:03:41

Swap normal with traditional then wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now