Just wondering about War Horse...

(24 Posts)
twinklytoes Sat 23-Mar-13 21:25:49

I have a year 5 9 yrold who loves the book and film, we're hoping to see WarHorse on tour in Birmingham at the end of the year.

Stixswhichtwizzle Sat 23-Mar-13 21:15:56

There is some swearing in the play. My school took the whole of year 5 to see it after reading the book in class. They thought it was amazing.

TyroneDontMoan Sat 23-Mar-13 21:11:45

Uhm, nah. But Jarhead is a modern interpretation and is probably suitable.

mumsneedwine Sat 23-Mar-13 10:58:56

Book great for 9, film good if they can cope with dying and play fantastic, but ... has fruity language and whole theatre was blubbing at the interval. We took kids and youngest had read book and seen film first, which was good as some of the play is in French & German and so she still knew what was going on. The puppets are amazing - we were in the front row and thought we were going to have a horse in our laps. There is a recommendation for over 10s (I think), but I assume this is due to the swear words. It is about the 1st world war so was never going to be jolly. Oh and I love the goose.

Flobbadobs Sat 23-Mar-13 10:25:50

Play...

Flobbadobs Sat 23-Mar-13 10:25:38

Doesn't the pay come with a recommendation for age 10 upwards?

mrsjay Sat 23-Mar-13 10:00:12

Dds went to see it with school (History) and the boys all had something in their eyes apparently grin

mrsjay Sat 23-Mar-13 09:59:12

DD crys every time she watches the film she watches it least once a week so that is a lot of sobbing, I cry too blush

mysteryfairy Sat 23-Mar-13 09:57:10

Then 9 year old DD sat in my knee through the play as she was so emotional.

Her brothers then 15 and 14 both cried and they never cry at anything. They deny it now of course!

HollyBerryBush Sat 23-Mar-13 07:10:43

I cried all the way through the play

clippityclop Sat 23-Mar-13 06:58:26

Sorry, posted in a hurry in a rare moment when dds weren't on the computer last night. We're coming down to London in the summer and I'm thinking about taking them to the play. From what you've said I think it will be fine, Thank you so much for all your replies.flowers

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 22-Mar-13 20:24:47

I cried, the bloke next door to me cried as did most people around me, you obviously got an unemotional lot that night grin

catsmother Fri 22-Mar-13 20:22:47

The play is absolutely fantastic for the astounding puppetry if nothing else - think that's why I cried so much as they really did manage to breathe life into the horse puppet forms. So far as I could tell, most of the audience didn't react quite like I did though blush.

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 22-Mar-13 19:21:59

Book, play or film?

Play was brilliant, our taxi driver said that he took both his children when they were 9 and they loved it. I haven't seen the filmn as we saw the play before the film and had no desire to watch it.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 22-Mar-13 19:21:31

I've seen the play, I think it would be fine for 9 year old, maybe a bit boring if anything. There were quite a lot of kids there when I went an they all seemed fine. I suppose it depends on how sensitive they are and how they feel about horses. I wasn't really that bothered, if it had been about a dog I'd have cried from start to finish.

carabos Fri 22-Mar-13 19:18:55

I cried at the trailer for the film. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone of a sensitive disposition wink.

I think the book would be fine. I didn't rate it much tbh but I think a nine year old would be absolutely fine with it.

Ragwort Fri 22-Mar-13 19:16:40

Depends on the child - are they very sensitive or massively into horses? If Yes (and going by your username they might be grin) then it probably won't be that suitable.

EvilTwins Fri 22-Mar-13 19:13:12

I listened to it being read on the radio at some ungodly hour of the morning whilst driving back from somewhere on my own. Blubbing whilst trying to keep on the road is not a good look. I've read the book now and the play script, though I've not seen the film or the play itself. I think it's a lovely book and OK unless a child is particularly sensitive. My 9 yr old niece has read it.

catsmother Fri 22-Mar-13 19:09:20

I sobbed through almost all the play at the grand old age of 40 something. Consequently, don't want to watch the film in case I find it too upsetting!

SnotMeReally Fri 22-Mar-13 18:46:34

Are you on about the book, play or film?

DS was 8 this week and has seen the film, it's obvioulsy emotive and a bit violent and gory but what other things does your 9yo watch?

I'd say the book w as fine if they are an able reader

ParsleyTheLioness Fri 22-Mar-13 18:45:33

Teenage dd

ParsleyTheLioness Fri 22-Mar-13 18:45:09

Teenage says if they are sensitive there a few upsetting scenes. Not gory though.

clippityclop Fri 22-Mar-13 18:43:28

Is it suitable for children, say 9 years old? That's it really!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now