To think pushing a pram while smoking...

(236 Posts)
Damash12 Fri 22-Mar-13 06:58:48

Is just wrong!! I'm probably gonna get flamed but really??!! I see mum/dad pushing their babies with a fag resting on the handle, about level with child's head, all the fag smoke blowing nicely over the baby. And why do I find it even worse when it's a grandparent???

Fakebook Fri 22-Mar-13 12:07:39

Yanbu. Revolting. Poor babies.

Pigsmummy Fri 22-Mar-13 12:11:50

I am not anti smoking, as an adult if you want to then do, (I did when out with friends drinking before pregnancy) but don't inflict it on your children who have no choices. They will be taught in school that it is bad for your health then they will be scared that you are doing it. Ask any child (school age) how they feel about their parents smoking and you won't get a positive answer and when they get older they are more likely to take up smoking too. (proven fact, children of smokers are more likely to smoke as young adults).

TheChaoGoesMu Fri 22-Mar-13 12:12:05

Actually I think I made rather a good effort of cutting down from 25 a day to 1 or 2 a day,Pigsmummy. But I'm sure my children will be grateful for your pity smile

Lottashakingoinon Fri 22-Mar-13 12:12:42

You anti-smokers rise to the bait every time, don't you? Bet your blood pressures are through the roof!!!

A bit like smokers' bp then eh?

And absolutely right on Mrs DeVere Why on earth would anyone take it up with all the information that is available. I would stop short of calling smokers thick or thick skinned, but if you are under 30 and smoke , I've got to ask WHY?????????????

I have every sympathy with people who try but cannot give up smoking (I have the same problem with eating!) But when I was 18 a million years ago I tried to take up smoking because all my friends did (pathetic) and I just couldn't, it was HORRIBLE. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones, but a lot of smokers say you have to power through the first few packs before it becomes enjoyable. So why would you bother?

TheChaoGoesMu Fri 22-Mar-13 12:14:51

You anti-smokers rise to the bait every time, don't you? Bet your blood pressures are through the roof!!!

You're not wrong there LastTango. Be careful of that high blood pressure eh ladies (and gents). It sure isn't good for you.

WhatsTheBuzz Fri 22-Mar-13 12:19:37

smoke during pregnancy and you're either fucking stupid or fucking selfish.

TheChaoGoesMu Fri 22-Mar-13 12:21:51

I'm not under 30 Lotta. I'm old. And smoking was seen as the cool thing to do when I was a teenager. I would hope that because smoking is far less acceptable these days, and there aren't many places in public where you can smoke, that my children would not think its cool, or worth the effort, once they reach adulthood.

UseHerName Fri 22-Mar-13 12:22:46

my granny used to smoke while i was in her arms and *blow the ash off my face^ - i grew up to be a doctor grin

probably still common as muck though wink

Lottashakingoinon Fri 22-Mar-13 12:26:30

That's exactly my point Chao grin

I too am old but my (adult) children are just about under 30 and they never took up smoking because it was just too much of a fag (did you see what I did there) and cnba!

zzzzz Fri 22-Mar-13 12:38:24

I think you YABVU. You might just as we'll sneer at people who choose to live in large polluted cities.

TheChaoGoesMu Fri 22-Mar-13 12:40:21

I saw what you did lotta grin. I like it.

Ashoething Fri 22-Mar-13 12:46:21

YANBU-its disgusting. Everyone in my family except myself smokes and I watched all my gp's die due to it. I hate smoking. I seethed when I was in the maternity ward and watched mothers standing outside in their dressing gowns smoking but I had a lot of anger in me anyway as have lost 3 baby dcs. I really do hate smokingangry

EggandSpooneyMara Fri 22-Mar-13 12:46:33

No smokers are not (all) stupid. They know and understand the risks but do it anyway.

Non smokers and smokers are equally able to be stupid.

But it is a stupid thing to do.

hairtearing Fri 22-Mar-13 12:55:53

I'll pass out if anyone actually tries to justify smoking/blowing smoke into a pram.

I'm a smoker, I always stop the pram/buggy face it away and then I stand a foot away and have a quick fag.

Zara1984 Fri 22-Mar-13 12:56:08

YANBU

I see it all the time in the area I live in. And smoking in cars.

Not surprising given that there is an outdoors smoking pagoda for pregnant and new mums in the hospital I gave birth in...! When I got admitted for high blood pressure in late pregnancy, in a ward of EIGHT pregnant women I was the only non-smoker. shock

Zara1984 Fri 22-Mar-13 12:57:49

It really pisses me off. My mum smoked heavily when she was pregnant with me and I was 4 lb 3 oz at full term sad

In some parts of the city I tend to always keep DS' rain cover on his pram so smoke/ash doesn't get in his face.

Trazzletoes Fri 22-Mar-13 13:04:05

zzzzz yes, because air pollution and blowing smoke in a baby's face are totally comparable hmm

MrsDeVere Fri 22-Mar-13 13:09:53

I'm not anti smoking but I am.

I am not anti it because its not illegal and being a smoker doesn't make you a bad person or a idiot or common or selfish. It just makes you a smoker.

But I am anti it because I suppose I just think why when it does such terrible, terrible things to you?

My DS1 smokes rollies and despite be starting smoking when I was 12 I am so upset I can barely look at him. His sister died from cancer FFS what is he doing!? It makes me want to cry. I know its OTT, I am not daft but I can't help it.

When I was a kid it was cool to smoke. No doubt about it. We were surrounded by it. You could smoke in hospital, on the tube and in cafes..everywhere.
Fag breaks were built in to the working day and every public space and building had ash trays as standard.

Advertising told us that smoking was a healthy and sexy pursuit.

When my oldest kids were small we had just started the 'going out the house for a fag' thing.

You can smoke for years and be ok but when you are not ok anymore it is utterly awful.

I do not look at a smoker and judge their intelligence or social standing. I DO wonder why you would keep doing it though.

Mind you I am one of those who can smoke on a night out and then not touch another fag for 6 months.

I am glad to see the opinion on here is pretty universal. I loathe smoking (mother smoked heavily when I was young before cancer got her). And now, while it is brilliant that you can't smoke inside, I hate running the gauntlet outside offices, walking behind stinky (yes very stinky) smokers who don't care that I am in their slipstream. And as for those who jump onto a bus / tube having had final suck on their fags - you really really stink! And i wouldn't want you anywhere a baby - and if you are pushing a pram, that is exactly where you are.

yellowhousewithareddoor Fri 22-Mar-13 13:28:50

I'm asthmatic and I remember as a child being in the car on long trips with two smokers who told me I was 'making a fuss' shudder.

seriouscakeeater Fri 22-Mar-13 13:42:56

YANBU I gave up when I became pregnant. Its hideous to see some one pushing a pram smoking a fag, that poor baby. Smoking during pregnancy is pure selfishness.

My MIL was convinced my unborn baby would be small as both her sons ( over 6,3 ) were tiny , around 5/6 pound. Nothing to do with u smoking 30/40 fags a day. [Hmm]

zzzzz Fri 22-Mar-13 13:50:41

I don't smoke personally, but i have no objections to those that do whatsoever. But smoking whilst pushing a pram, is disgusting!

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Fri 22-Mar-13 14:05:16

There's HUGE 'NO SMOKING' signs outside the main entrance of the hospital. The smoke blows inside, into the wards, into the foyer. Why the hell do people still do this? Smoking should be banned. I don't want to breathe in this crap and it's selfish to inflict this upon others who don't get a choice. It makes me soooo angry

ballstoit Fri 22-Mar-13 14:08:41

YANBU. My personal favourite was Mum at school gates, baby on hip, fag in other hand. Finishes fag and throws it on the floor. Gets baby's bottle out of insulated holder, pops it in her mouth and has a swig (I'm guessing to check the temperature). Then starts feeding it to the baby.

Barf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now