Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think pushing a pram while smoking...

(236 Posts)
Damash12 Fri 22-Mar-13 06:58:48

Is just wrong!! I'm probably gonna get flamed but really??!! I see mum/dad pushing their babies with a fag resting on the handle, about level with child's head, all the fag smoke blowing nicely over the baby. And why do I find it even worse when it's a grandparent???

MrsDeVere Fri 22-Mar-13 10:25:40

Twatty what life circumstances? confused

I think I must of done it when DD and DS1 were little. I would NEVER do it with my youngest ones because it is perfectly and abundantly clear how dangerous second hand smoke is.

My dad used to smoke 80 a day. I sat on many a grand parent's, uncle's etc knee whilst a fag dangled above my little head.

THEY did not have a clue.

WE do.

Even worse is seeing someone with a baby in a sling and smoking a fag. WTF?

Stop making excuses. Smoke if you want to.
Dont inflict it on children.

Nothing to do with being common. Its just wrong.

BuddyButters Fri 22-Mar-13 10:27:14

Totally agree. No excuse for it at all.

People who smoke in the street look awful and common. People who smoke while pushing a pram or buggy look even more awful and common. Revolting.

sue52 Fri 22-Mar-13 10:35:47

It is vile although it is a rare sight these days.

HerrenaHarridan Fri 22-Mar-13 10:39:09

Stopping smoking isn't anything like as difficult as people make out. Sometimes I think it's tobacco companies who started this rumour!

I smoked from 11 til about 24. So more than half my life at the time.

I went from smoking lots of spliffs and cigarettes, to a couple a day to none in a week.

The first 3 days were quite ratty and stressful but after that I just started to forget about it.
There were the crunch times when I would find myself saying " right now I would be having a fag so instead I'm going to..."
I distracted myself by doing something with my hands.

Tbf I had motivation, we wanted to try for a baby but I wouldn't stop using birth control until we had not smoked for 3 months.

I honestly don't know how smoking parents cope with the extra added stess of trying to get away from their baby so they can smoke x amount of times per day it would drive me crazy.

Kendodd Fri 22-Mar-13 10:40:47

I remember about five years ago going into a bakery (not greggs grin) there was a couple standing outside, one of them with a baby in a front sling, both smoking. Everyone in the shop was looking at them, slagging them off talking about how disgusting it was to be smoking around the baby.

If you do it, you are being judged.

fluffiphlox Fri 22-Mar-13 10:42:33

Multitasking?

Kendodd Fri 22-Mar-13 10:43:09

For the people who say how hard it is to stop smoking, is it easier to be breathing toxic fumes over your child instead?

EggandSpooneyMara Fri 22-Mar-13 10:46:19

I don't think it matters if the smoke is blowing away from the baby (though the people behind you may not appreciate - me being one of them esp if you smoke in a subway - but my point is you'll have all the chemical residue on your fingers and clothes and face, and then you'll be handling your baby, holding her, kissing her etc and nowhere to wash your hands first.

iyswim

MrsDeVere Fri 22-Mar-13 10:47:41

a woman at the school expressed horror at my sefishness at planning a homebirth with DC5.

Then she regaled me with a hilarious tale of how she got bollocked for smoking whilst in the labour room, her DP handing her fags though the window.

hmm

Mind you if she had chosen a homebirth she could have smoked in the comfort of her own bedroom...

BegoniaBampot Fri 22-Mar-13 10:49:48

I can't help judging on this. Smoking just looks common, smoking round your kids looks even more common. I imagine that folk who smoke outside around their kids probably do it at home and in the car etc. Of course I could be wrong but I can't help making snap judgements on this.

EggandSpooneyMara Fri 22-Mar-13 10:53:57

The woman next to me in the post natal ward was popping out for some 'fresh air' every hour or two in the day we'd had our babies

She was very young

she was a lovely mother but it made me feel a bit sad for her baby as she was breastfeeding him at the same time

The MWs all clearly knew it was euphemistic so I wonder if they said owt

TheChaoGoesMu Fri 22-Mar-13 10:58:13

I wouldn't do it myself personally, as a smoker. But I wouldn't do it because I wouldn't want my children to ever see me smoking, in case they grow up to think its ok. But that aside, the pollution from car fumes is logically far worse than what you would get from smoking a fag outside. Do you never take your baby near busy roads either?

Pigsmummy Fri 22-Mar-13 10:59:29

If people are still smoking and have small children I think that they must be either thick or thick skinned. If you are pushing a pram smoking then the baby is very likely to breathe some of it in, you will be transferring toxins from your hands onto the pram, do you stop to wash your hands before getting baby out and what happens if the baby cries? I can't imagine that you ignore the baby so as not to breathe toxins onto them when comforting them?

It's hard work being a smoker, rather than try harder why not give up? Or in the very least try E cigarettes.

MrsDeVere Fri 22-Mar-13 11:01:38

I don't go with the 'common' thing.

People from all backgrounds smoke and people from all backgrounds are selfish.

As a <cough> older woman I think I am most puzzled by why people would start smoking now days <gimmer>

People from previous generations had the excuse of ignorance. We really don't now.

I have been to two funerals recently of very young people. They have left their young (20s, 30s) children utterly bereft and their grandchildren too (people have their kids very young round here).

Smoking related. Their last years and months were awful and so painful for their families too.

These are people in their 40s and mid 50s.

I smoked for years. I will also admit to a fag when I go out for a drink but I only go out twice a year.

TheChaoGoesMu Fri 22-Mar-13 11:41:07

If people are still smoking and have small children I think that they must be either thick or thick skinned

Erm, I have small children and still smoke. I am neither thick nor thick skinned. But thanks for your rather unintelligent remarks.
hmm

specialsubject Fri 22-Mar-13 11:42:27

one of the things that puzzles me about smokers is that they light the thing and then just wave it around after one puff. That way they stink out everyone else without any apparent gain.

If you smoke, SMOKE - keep it in your mouth and keep inhaling.

Saw a woman earlier in a car with what looked to be a very young baby, smoking away with all the windows closed sad How on earth did she not think that was a bad idea?!

WhatsTheBuzz Fri 22-Mar-13 11:47:35

twatty, does that mean you smoked during pregnancy then? If not, you must be capable of quitting.

In fact, if anything should make you want to give up, it's having kids around, isn't it?

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 22-Mar-13 11:56:05

YANBU, hate seeing people smoking around children but dislike smoking in general. Some parents differ though and see nothing wrong with it or know the dangers and do it anyway.

Pigsmummy Fri 22-Mar-13 11:56:56

TheChaoGoesMu I meant that the amount of information around (with supporting evidence) today confirming the harmful effects of smoking mean that people haven't the intelligence to understand this information, that smoking is bad for you and your young children or that they developed a thick skin and are in denial about it. Even if you only smoke out of the house, the toxins stay on your skin, you would need to shower, wash hair, change your clothes etc to be 100% sure that you are clean of cigarettes and I am sure that smokers don't do that after every cigarette do they? What happens when baby cries mid cigarette, do you ignore them?

Previous generations didn't have that information, our generation however are swamped with it and therefore I stand by my comments.

Did you smoke in pregnancy?

NirvanaSmellsLikeTeenMother Fri 22-Mar-13 11:58:43

I smoke. I always try not to smoke when out with my DD but if I really must I find a quiet spot, park DD up and move a few metres away from her.
I hate seeing people smoke whilst pushing a pram, but I dont think its as bad if the pram is forward facing.

willyoulistentome Fri 22-Mar-13 12:00:56

I judge away happily when I see this sort of thing. Some parents are just selfish. I little girl in my sons Y3 class has very few friends because according to DS2 'she stink of wee..and cigarettes.' Poor little thing.

TheChaoGoesMu Fri 22-Mar-13 12:02:22

Yes I did Pigsmummy.

LastTangoInDevonshire Fri 22-Mar-13 12:02:56

You anti-smokers rise to the bait every time, don't you? Bet your blood pressures are through the roof!!!

Pigsmummy Fri 22-Mar-13 12:07:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now