Boarding schools for children under 11 is just wrong

(552 Posts)
babybarrister Thu 21-Mar-13 22:13:49

If I were PM for the day this would be on my to do list.
Children under 11 are too young and if their parents cannot look after them it should be raising serious alarm bells not generating slaps on the back for complying with an outdated tradition.

AuntieStella Thu 21-Mar-13 22:14:48

Have you been near a boarding school recently?

HollyBerryBush Thu 21-Mar-13 22:16:00

It's worked for genrations.

Its quite a modern idea to bring up your own children.

In fact the whole idea of 'childhood' is a particularly modern invention.

FelicityWasCold Thu 21-Mar-13 22:16:04

Yabu. Do you know everything about every school and parent in the country?

How judgemental you are.

babybarrister Thu 21-Mar-13 22:16:10

Yes plenty - why?!

UnEggspectedItemInBonnetArea Thu 21-Mar-13 22:17:03

YABU and goady.

Its wrong for some children and right for others. If you don't like them don't send your kids there but don't assume you know whats right for every child.

neunundneunzigluftballons Thu 21-Mar-13 22:19:16

YANBU being honest I am not totally sure about them for over 11 either. From being a day pupil in a school that had boarders it seemed at least some of them were there due to problems at home and their parents were struggling to control them, totally wrong reason to off load a teenager to boarding school IMO.

livinginwonderland Thu 21-Mar-13 22:19:35

<gets out popcorn>

Permanentlyexhausted Thu 21-Mar-13 22:20:33

I doubt you'd get to be PM for the day if you hadn't been sent to boarding school before the age of 11. It's in the job description.

exoticfruits Thu 21-Mar-13 22:21:22

I'll join you with the popcorn!

MintTeaForMe Thu 21-Mar-13 22:22:18

My DH went to boarding school aged seven. He LOVED it. I was sent to one aged 11 and hated it so much I got myself expelled. Don't think you can generalise about this.

YABU

TheChaoGoesMu Thu 21-Mar-13 22:22:36

I don't think its wrong. It can offer stability depending on the circumstances of the family.

nonotreally Thu 21-Mar-13 22:22:54

"...and if their parents cannot look after them..."

Please explain your logic here?

fishybits Thu 21-Mar-13 22:24:38

I went aged 7 and had a great time. My DF was in the Army and it gave me much needed stability <shrugs shoulders>

lemuzzy Thu 21-Mar-13 22:24:40

YANBU and I say that as someone who went to boarding school.

It was like a dumping ground.

Lucyellensmum95 Thu 21-Mar-13 22:24:44

I shouldnt have liked to go to boarding school, i shouldnt like to send my DC to boarding school. Other people however do like this arrangement and it seems to work for them.

I guess there is the worry they might turn into tomorrows David Cameron i guess but its a small risk

Really OP are you bored?

WafflyVersatile Thu 21-Mar-13 22:24:45

grin at Permanently.

'it's worked for generations'? worked at what?

While I accept that some situations may make (a good) boarding school the best choice available I'd like to see anyone produce evidence from a respected source that says sending a child to boarding school is better than them living at home with competent loving parents.

toobreathless Thu 21-Mar-13 22:26:08

Says who?

What do you base that on? Your own ignorance?

I went to bordering school aged 9 to 11 years as my parents (military) had little choice. It was not a decision they took lightly and they were doing what they felt was best for me and going against what they wanted (to have me at home!)

20 years later I am happy and well adjusted (I like to think!), am very close to my parents and my own child (soon to be children) I have a medical degree & a very satisfying career after my parents tried to give me the best education they could.

Reading your OP one could argue you might have benefitted from your parents doing the same for you.

montmartre Thu 21-Mar-13 22:26:30

Weird- none of the people I know that boarded from young ages were in a situation where there parents 'could not look after them'.

kim147 Thu 21-Mar-13 22:26:33

I hated boarding school. But Dad in the RAF so not much choice.

Dad was sent away at 7 in the early 50s. Don't think it helped him.

toobreathless Thu 21-Mar-13 22:27:20

Boarding not 'bordering' blasted iPhone!

WorraLiberty Thu 21-Mar-13 22:28:25

It's not for me and mine but I'm intelligent enough to know that it works for some families and that it has nothing to do with being unable to look after your own children.

AuntieStella Thu 21-Mar-13 22:28:36

No need to have a pop at OP, just because the post shows a narrow and unimaginitve view of reasons why parents might want to opt for boarding.

ReallyTired Thu 21-Mar-13 22:29:35

YABU for many reasons. Lots of parents who send their children to board do so with a heavy heart.

For example if you have a profoundly deaf child with learning and behaviour difficulties then you may be forced to use weekly boarding. Should such parents be forced to give up their jobs and move house?

Children whose parents in the armed forces often prefer the stablity of being in one school than constantly moving house every two to three years.

The cost of boarding is utterly astronomical. I doult that many people send their children to boarding school for frivolous reasons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now