To think that only 3 and a half years for this is beyond belief

(95 Posts)
SherbetVodka Thu 21-Mar-13 18:36:16

I just read this news article [WARNING FROM MNHQ: upsetting content] and cannot BELIEVE that the evil little shit that did this has only got 3 1/2 years. Some people get more than this for ABH for fucks sake shock

Even if it was genuinely manslaughter as opposed to murder, surely he could serve a few more years for what was clearly a sadistic, disgusting crime. He will probably not even have to serve the whole of his sentence and the message he and people like him will have got from the courts is that you can terrorise and torture someone with learning disabilities, even kill them and you'll only have to do a couple of years inside at most sad

I just can't believe this. It's such a sad story, the poor young man who was killed had autism and a speech impediment and had already been forced to move home because of bullying and was very vulnerable by the sound of it. All he wanted to do was celebrate his birthday like any other 18 year old. He was doing no harm to anyone. How can people be this cruel?

TheNebulousBoojum Sun 24-Mar-13 18:43:22

bump

I've emailed too, it's a shockingly lenient sentence.

SherbetVodka Sun 24-Mar-13 11:19:19

Hmm looks like my email just didn't go through properly then. I'll give it another go tomorrow. Really hope the sentence does get reviewed.

TheNebulousBoojum Sun 24-Mar-13 10:02:27

bump

saggyhairyarse Sat 23-Mar-13 23:09:45

I am pretty sure that their will be an appeal against the sentence and the judges summing up that the victim was enjoying the events of that evening; the judge obviously does not have the first clue.

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 23-Mar-13 21:25:44

bump

ShellyBoobs Sat 23-Mar-13 20:08:14

I don't watch TV, has it not been covered on national or regional news reports? does anyone know?

It was covered at the time the murder happened. I remember it clearly. sad

link to news item from when it happened

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 23-Mar-13 18:31:14

bump

merlincat Sat 23-Mar-13 17:09:52

I got a holding reply within a few minutes. I've also emailed my Green MP (Brighton) who should have forthright views about the homophobic violence. I'd like to see that little snivelling worm who did this dumped into Kemptown (the gay clubbing area round here) when the clubs are emptying out; don't think there'd be much left of him by morning.

AmberLeaf Sat 23-Mar-13 14:48:05

I think that would be the reaction of my son if things got physical too TheNeb.

Him getting in serious trouble because some small minded cruel twat picks on him is a big concern.

All he wants is to be left alone.

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 23-Mar-13 14:44:11

My DS is vulnerable in the sense that if someone tried to write Gayboy on him, or intentionally splattered him with something, he'd flatten them hard. He doesn't understand 'horseplay' unless it's with small relatives.
Would I rather visit him in prison for GBH or watch him die in agony in hospital?
No question.

AmberLeaf Sat 23-Mar-13 14:38:38

Yes midori, my autistic son is theoretically high functioning enough to possibly live independantly one day, because of things like this case, I am loathe to let that happen.

midori1999 Sat 23-Mar-13 14:16:24

This is awful. Not only are there people in the world sick enough to do something like this, but they practically get away with it too.

My son has Downs Syndrome and I agree with the other posters who say this just makes you want to keep them close and protect them from the vile world we live in.

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 23-Mar-13 13:58:06

bump

smupcakes Sat 23-Mar-13 12:06:48

I saw this article a few days ago and was crying for 15 minutes after reading it

AmberLeaf Sat 23-Mar-13 11:51:40

I got an email response pretty quickly after I emaled them, ab0ut 10 minutes later.

AmberLeaf Sat 23-Mar-13 11:50:59

Sherbet, have you seen the sticked MN thread about a guest blog post, it is at the top of active conversations.

It is about the need for a specific offence of disability hate crime;

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/bloggers/1714497-Guest-blog-yes-we-do-need-a-specific-offence-of-disability-hate-crime

I wish Id never read this sad My ds has aspergers.

Words fail me.

SherbetVodka Sat 23-Mar-13 10:46:39

Has everyone who's written to the attorney general had a response? I haven't had any acknowledgment of my email (sent early yesterday afternoon) and am wondering if that means it hasn't gone through.

AmberLeaf Sat 23-Mar-13 10:20:41

That Metro article is good.

I will look into that Mia, thanks.

Mia4 Sat 23-Mar-13 09:31:15

That's disgusting. Just finished reading the comments, Amber if you want to promote what about using change.org to make a petition?

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 23-Mar-13 08:06:47

There's a short paragraph in The Metro (Friday's edition) on p7.
Selective quotation:
' ....Mr Simpson was bullied and taunted about his disability and his sexuality, and made to dance naked at the party, jurors heard. He suffered serious burns....and died two days later.
His disability and sexuality were used as weapons against him'

No mention of horseplay or pranks, the Metro has been more analytical and honest than the judge.

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 23-Mar-13 06:29:20

bump

I agree! It is utterly incredible that such a horrific crime brought him less time in jail than if he had burgled a house or stolen a car.

I do not know what that judge was thinking!!!!

sad

CardinalRichelieu Fri 22-Mar-13 22:30:18

For murder there has to be intent to kill or cause Gbh. I am very surprised that setting fire to someone was not held to be intention to cause Gbh. But even for manslaughter there can be a life sentence, it just isn't mandatory. I agree, way too low.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now