Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To spend money on visiting a clairvoyant?

(201 Posts)
Losingexcessweight Wed 20-Mar-13 07:50:15

I ve always been interested in having readings done on money, relationships, future etc.

I had a reading done around 6 years ago, the guy that did it wasnt very good. He didnt pick up on my father dying when i was a child.

Dh says he doesnt believe in this kind of thing, and its a load of rubbish.

I have an appointment with a local lady today. Shes £35 and the reading lasts for as long as you like.

So am i being unreasonable in spending my money on this?

And if you have had a reading done before, will you please share your experience with me?

smile

Bunbaker Wed 20-Mar-13 09:22:11

A workmate went to see a clairvoyant who told her it would take a long time for her to get pregnant. She was 5 months pregnant at the time grin

I would far rather spend the money on something more permanent like some new clothes or make-up. Shallow and vain, moi!

WorraLiberty Wed 20-Mar-13 09:27:11

It really is a load of rubbish but cleverly worded so most of what they say, could apply to you in some way.

It could also apply to everyone else...

I've seen video footage of events at Spritualist churches. Watching them, it's obvious that those giving the readings, etc are as adept at cold reading as any other "clairvoyant"

Nancy66 Wed 20-Mar-13 09:30:11

This is a rough transcript of what a psychic said to me

PSYCHIC: 'Someone is in trouble with the police aren't they?'

ME: 'I can't think of anyone.'

PSYCHIC: 'i can see the police very clearly here.'

ME: 'can't think what that is.'

PSYCHIC: 'It could be a family member who is in the police force'

ME: 'none of my family are in the police'

PSYCHIC: (getting more desperate) 'They may not be in the police now it could be that they are thinking of joining.'

ME: 'Again, I can't think who that would be.'

PSYCHIC: (getting really pissed off now) 'When I say "in trouble with the police" it doesn't necessarily mean something serious like a murder. It could be something less serious.'

ME: 'Still not ringing any bells'

PSYCHIC: 'It could even be something like a parking ticket. Perhaps the uniform I'm seeing is a traffic warden. Have you had a parking ticket recently? '

Me: No

PSYCHIC: 'That's it then. That's what they're trying to tell me, you're going to be getting a parking ticket shortly...they want me to warn you.'

MoodyDidIt Wed 20-Mar-13 09:30:14

actually i saw one a few years ago and she was spookily accurate

i was pg but only about 12 weeks and not showing (and i hadn't told her) . she said i was pg and would be having a boy. she also said i was in an unhappy relationship, also that the baby would come early. she then said i would get a job in healthcare but it wouldn't work out. that would meet an older man and have more children, and that i would end up self employed.

everything was spot on, as the baby WAS a boy, he was early due to planned cs, i was very unhappy with ex, and i split with ex when ds was a baby and fell madly in love with (now) DH who is 10 years older, then i trained as a nurse for a while but couldn't hack it, dh and i had dd who is 3 now, and now i am pg with DC3, and....self employed.

People remember tha things that they feel have come true, and forget anything "predicted" that doesn't.

How often have you felt something was a coincidence? Something that happened at the same time as something else, for example. You think it's spooky, but forget the million and one times that the two thingshaven't happened at the same time.

I don't deny that there is a possibility that what we call physic powers do exist, after all humans use at most 20% of their brain power so there's a lot of brain power apparently unused all the time.

But I reckon 99.9% of all people doing this commercially are fake.

twooter Wed 20-Mar-13 09:40:46

Moody, just out of interest, do you think any of your plans were swayed by being told that previously by the psychic?

I mean when you met DH, did you think this must be the one BECAUSE he was older.

( I would want to see one, but haven't got the bottle) I do wonder if people change their lives to match.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

badguider Wed 20-Mar-13 09:45:32

I think that it's a load of rubbish in terms of clairvoyance but I think it probably appeals because it's nice to take an hour to think about your life and what you want from it, your hopes and your dreams.

I personally would rather do that in a way that doesn't involve deception though - go to a life coach or a meditation class or something.

Losingexcessweight Wed 20-Mar-13 09:47:58

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

Some of the things that have been mentioned have made me think, like, why aren't they rich if they are good etc?

I'm not going for spiritual really, I'm going because I'm worried about afew things etc. The things I'm worried about, aren't guess work IMO. I don't feel they can relate to just anybody.

The lady did ask for my date of birth when I booked her on the phone.

INeverSaidThat Wed 20-Mar-13 09:49:33

Gosh there are a lot of psychic related posts just recently.

Anyhow, I wouldn't go because psychic's talk a load of bullshit. They can not see anything. It's all complete rubbish.

Personally, if I had £35 to spend on myself I would have a massage or a manicure or I would go out for a nice meal with my friends. I would not give it to a charlatan.

scottishmerlottish You might be surprised to know that some people can tell if a woman is pregnant from very early on, even as early as 4-6 weeks when it isn't showing. I know someone like this and she said she can't explain it easily but it has something to do with how a pregnant woman "looks".

No, I didn't understand that when she said it either, but like I said she can't really explain it but has a very high accuracy rate. She does say it's based on physical looks, and isn't any form of clairvoyance.

Nancy66 Wed 20-Mar-13 09:51:28

Losing - if she has your name and DOB then she will be able to look you up.

Happy, fulfilled people don't go to psychics - troubled ones do - and psychics know this. It's mostly women that visit them and most have the same set of concerns/issues - so it's not that big a stretch to work out what they are.

gonerogue Wed 20-Mar-13 09:51:55

I know it's mostly all rubbish, but my Mum used to go to them all the time. Good and bad according to her. There was an old lady who she used to visit socially with my Dad, and they would give her poitin. (Maybe it was the poitin).

Anyway the most memorable thing that she told them was to my Dad. She said "Another woman will have a son for you" which of course my parents completely disbelieved and laughed off. Until the next year when they got a call from social services saying that my aunt had had a baby boy and as she was an alcoholic they wouldn't let her keep him, so she wanted my parents to adopt him.

So true or not, that was unbelievably uncanny. But as most pp have said, it's your money to spend as you wish. I would never, despite my mum having done so.

Losingexcessweight Wed 20-Mar-13 09:54:58

She didn't ask for my address, or surname, but if she did ask for my surname it is very common so there would be loads of people with my name etc.

I think I'm going for reassurance etc

Losing Here's an idea. You could google yourself based on the info, ie name and DOB, that you've given to her.

See what comes up and keep a copy or some notes.

Then go to reading and have fun seeing how much of what she tells you is stuff you've found on the web. Or if it's stuff that could be easily deduced from your web findings.

grin Reckon most of what you hear will be from that.

IntheFrame Wed 20-Mar-13 09:57:00

Buy your own tarot pack and a book and have a go yourself.

I was amazed at that accuracy when I was facing a tough decision. And yes the same cards did come up a lot in answer to the same question.

Now I have them I do them every now and again and it helps sort out your ideas.

Well, dont let her know what you are worried about, and do as little small talk as possible. In fact say nothing at all.

Tell her, "I am not here to talk, but to listen to YOU" And smile.

Watch her fire her random blanks and see how many you can catch!

At least turn it into an entertaining game for yourself.

You are more likely to get a good outcome if you go to a priest, tell him your worries, and let him pray for you.

My sister, despite her ability to get glimpses of things to come, has never ever been able to change the outcome. Make of that what you want....

Fakebook Wed 20-Mar-13 09:57:50

I wouldn't do it. It will turn into an addiction.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

It's crap but I agree it's interesting crap.

But not so interesting that I would pay £35 for it.

I know so many people who have come back from seeing clairvoyants, raving about how accurate they are - then you listen to their recording of the reading and it is unbelievably vague - about ten mistakes for every 'hit', but people obviously only hear what they want to hear.

specialsubject Wed 20-Mar-13 10:10:10

you are worried and have concerns. How about talking those over with your life partner, not some random stranger who is deluded at best and a fraud at worst?

I do family history research and you can find out a LOT about strangers with their name and date of birth.

spend £35 on entertainment by all means, but don't give it to a crook.

inde Wed 20-Mar-13 10:11:56

Pretty well all of the well known psychics have been caught hot reading where they research someone before hand. In one case a sceptic deliberately fed information to Sally Morgan about someone who had died in a bomb explosion. She then recited the information almost word for word in one of her shows to him. Unfortunately for her the information wasn't taken from real life but was the plot of a tv programme that was on in the seventies.
This is how they can sometimes get things spot on whereas mostly they feed vague information through cold reading. They rely on people remembering the hits but forgetting the many misses.
www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/06/sally-morgan-best-loved-psychic

Luckily, there's very little about me in my real name on the web other than my birth records. I keep stuff about me locked down. Someone would have to know my MN nickname to get any clues about my private life.

dawntigga Wed 20-Mar-13 10:14:56

YANBU to spend your money how you want as long as you don't get into debt YABU if you think it's actually going to be anything except somebody who is very good at cold reading people.

It's all bollocks.

AndI'mARavingPaganTiggaxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now