Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

or is it actually impossible to keep a tidy house

(131 Posts)

and get food on the table and do anything fucking at all if you a 1 and a 2 year old child? I wanted to stay home with I love them but if I were at work my house would be clean right? it's fucking pig style, by the dh gets home and we get them to bed and do the dishes there's no time to do anything else. then we just go to bed. sad

FreakoidOrganisoid Fri 22-Mar-13 08:15:19

Btw when I had a screaming baby and a toddler none of that happened and my house was a total pit grin

I remember complaining to my friend that it was impossible to have a tidy house and she said "or maybe you just need to organise yourself better". At thevtime

LaQueen Fri 22-Mar-13 08:17:39

My routine was very similar to Freak's - and the trick is to keep it up. It's hard work, but the more you do it, the better you get at it, and the quicker you get.

Plus, I was ruthless about not hoarding stuff, and routinely de-cluttered every few weeks. I've always hated that feeling of not knowing where to put stuff, or having to move stuff from one place to the next before being able to sit at the dinner table/cook a meal.

I regular donated clothes/toys/stuff to friends/the charity shop. And, every few weeks I'd send the DDs off to the in-laws with DH, and I'd spend a whole day giving the house a good, deep clean.

It just depends on what is important to you. I wanted a nice, tidy, fresh house so it was up to me to make that happen. I became very organised about it all, and found I still had time to meet friends for coffee, or take the DDs out. It was just that when I was at home, behind the scenes, I was busy smile

FreakoidOrganisoid Fri 22-Mar-13 08:22:52

Sorry that should have said: at the time I thought she was a fucking bitch but actually she was right blush

It's definitely a continual thing though, you do have to stay on top of it and whoever said while you do one job the children create another was right. I was lucky with ds once he got to 2.5 or so as he became obsessed with dora so I'd put on an episode of that while I whizzed around doing my 20 mins in the morning. With dd there'd be colouring pens and bits of paper and polly pockets everywhere.

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 22-Mar-13 09:13:05

Can I just say two words...Drunk Cleaning

Really I love my Friday and saterday evenings I make a you tube playlist, few large vodka and cokes (wine makes me sleepy so doesn't work for me for this) and I dance around cleaning getting tipsy finding more jobs to do because I don't want to sit down.

Works well with ironing to, you don't even notice the time going after your first large drink and old favourite songs.

Chiggers Sat 23-Mar-13 09:54:25

Freak your friend was right. It's about being organised enough to just crack on with the routine. All routines take a bit of getting used to, but once you're established, you can rock on and get things done.

I have to admit that if I lived in a messy house, I find that my thinking pattern gets disrupted, which makes me very uncomfortable and unnerved, so in order to think clearly I have to have a tidy house.

When I go to my friend's house for a cuppa, I get uneasy and fidgety as her house is a tip (says the same thing herself), but luckily she ignores my fidgeting etc as she knows it's my problem grin. I have told her to ignore me when I get like that.

Creameggkr Sat 23-Mar-13 11:42:42

My problem is that I have to factor in three days a week when I'm at work and dd is cared for in the house by dh who isn't as organised as me although he does try.
So on my days off not only am I on my own with dcs but I'm catching up on what hasn't been done the other days.
<has sudden realisation as to why its so hard>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now