Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think I am right!

(88 Posts)
freddiefrog Tue 19-Mar-13 13:54:31

This has been going round and round for weeks now, I'm sick of arguing about it and getting to the point where I'm doubting myself.

I'm contracted to work 2 days a week (Wednesday & Thursday) so my holiday allowance is pro-rata - 35 days for full time employees, mine is 14 days.

I want a week off during the Easter holidays so put in a holiday request ages and ages ago, it was signed off and all ok.

Then I get an email to say that my days had changed to Monday & Tuesday due to my holiday on Weds/Thurs.

So I phone and point out I'm not working at all I have booked holiday for the 2 days I'm contracted.

Office lady says yes, she knows I'm on holiday, that's why she's changed my days

I say no, I'm using my holiday allowance, I'm not swapping days, I'm on holiday all week.

She says, no, if I want the whole week off, I need to book the whole week off - i.e. use up 5 days.

I've tried explaining until I'm blue in the face that I only need to book holiday to cover my actual contracted hours, if I'm just swapping days, I'm not on holiday. We're now in a stand off.

AIBU to think I am right? Aren't I?

I'm managing to completely confuse myself, so I'm not sure anymore confused

Fakebook Tue 19-Mar-13 19:23:46

Sounds like a simple case of thickitis.

This is ridiculous!

DieWilde13 Tue 19-Mar-13 19:33:59

Watching with interest. I am working part-time and holiday entitlement is driving me nuts!

Euphemia Tue 19-Mar-13 19:37:59

The most straightforward way is annual leave + bank holidays then pro rata the total = your annual entitlement.

If a bank holiday falls on one of the days you normally work, you take it out of your annual entitlement. Otherwise, days off are agreed with your manager as normal.

tollyandfeste Tue 19-Mar-13 19:44:06

Hi, I am an HR Advisor and yes you are 100% right!!! Your annual leave is pro rata your annual hours. So if you work 2 days a week to have a whole week of you use 2 days annual leave.

hugoagogo Tue 19-Mar-13 19:52:35

Try working just Sundays; I applied for a day off and HR said I couldn't, because

'it's a Sunday-we are closed'

I said 'that's so funny, because my contract say's I have to work Sundays!?' confused

HR is in an office miles away and just cannot understand that other people do not work nine to five in an office like them.

OrbisNonSufficit Tue 19-Mar-13 20:05:21

I know this is off topic, but it just suddenly struck me that part of the problem with glass ceilings and women not really realising their potential and so on may ACTUALLY just be about the fact that when we want a little bit of part time work for a year or five while the kids are little No One Can F**king Figure It Out.

freddiefrog Tue 19-Mar-13 20:33:53

I don't work for the NHS

I actually have a cushy little number going - boss is a sort-of friend of DH's (he used to work for the same company as DH, then set up his own company), I work from home 2 days a week, am around to pick the kids up from school, and can bunk off for an hour if i need to be at an assembly, etc and the pay is good, so I can't moan

I just want a week off without a drama with the office lady

Anyway, Boss has rung, and he'll go over her head and book it in properly tomorrow. Phew!

Thanks!

manticlimactic Tue 19-Mar-13 21:58:13

Where I work (2 days, like you) I had to book 5 days off for the whole week and PT people couldn't get their heads round it. BUT my entitlement was 35 days not 14 so it all worked out. They've changed it to hours now so it's much simpler.

Misfit13 Tue 19-Mar-13 22:22:34

You already have 5 days a week off.
You have booked an additional 2 days off. That makes 7 days. Which is 1 whole week. I'm thick as shit, but I can work that out!

Jux Wed 20-Mar-13 08:32:27

Ask if those who work 5 days a week have to book 7 days off in order to get a full week's holiday. Presumably that's what the silly girl would have to do herself.

toomanyfionas Wed 20-Mar-13 08:37:07

You are right of course, and you need a new office lady.

Any update?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now