Would you give directions to someone in a car?

(115 Posts)
kim147 Tue 19-Mar-13 11:33:09

Petrol station on way to an appointment was shut yesterday afternoon so I drove to the next town thinking there's be a garage. Saw someone walking her dog so I pulled over, opened window and smiled nicely with an "excuse me, please". She looked at me and then carried on walking.

Luckily someone a bit further up the road was more helpful.

I'm sure I seemed friendly when I said "excuse me"

FreudiansSlipper Sun 24-Mar-13 18:20:57

sorry my last post in bad taste after reading MsW's that is terrible sad

FreudiansSlipper Sun 24-Mar-13 18:19:39

Seemed to be a popular past time in the 80's for men to have a wank while asking for directions happened to me and most my friends

I think I probably apologised for interrupting him would never have been so assertive to throw a can of coke at him I would now

Yes I would give directions they probably wished they had not bothered asking i am rubbish at giving them though have a good sense of direction myself

ToomuchWaternotWine Sun 24-Mar-13 18:10:04

your not our, obv. Damn ipad.

ToomuchWaternotWine Sun 24-Mar-13 18:09:41

Oh that is just terrible, MrsW, so sorry for our friend. Has she had help/counselling?

MsWetherwax Fri 22-Mar-13 21:23:09

Catchingmockingbirds - no, they weren't. And she was a streetwise girl too. Unsuprisingly she has never quite recovered. sad

iheartdusty Wed 20-Mar-13 21:31:14

I was giving directions to driver when I was 16 when his mate came round behind me and pushed me into the back seat and they started to drive off. I got out somehow. Didn't get the numberplate, couldn't identify the car.

so many others on this thread with similar experiences.

so many others without such experiences who sneer.

Catchingmockingbirds Wed 20-Mar-13 21:27:45

toomuch what a great reply!

msweatherwax that is awful, were the men ever caught?

Tanith Wed 20-Mar-13 21:18:54

Oh Grimbletart, what an absolute gift grin

I give directions to drivers looking for the golf course. They drive to the village and then appear surprised that the golf course isn't actually in the middle of the village itself and is about 2 miles away.

Moominsarehippos Wed 20-Mar-13 18:50:29

I would but I would probably give very long, garbled instructions (including gems like 'turn left where the wool shop used to be'), then realise I'd pointed them in the wrong direction.

MsWetherwax Wed 20-Mar-13 18:46:21

I would, and do, give directions, but always stand well back and am especially wary of vans with sliding doors after a good friend of mine was grabbed through one and gang raped whilst giving directions to the driver. sad

Oblomov Wed 20-Mar-13 18:12:19

I would and always have and always will , give directions. I have never had a bad experience.

ToomuchWaternotWine Wed 20-Mar-13 18:01:21

I was flashed by a guy on the platform of the tube when I was working in London (a young looking early twenty something). He leered and said "what do you think of that then, darlin'," I replied in my most bored, loud, posh scots clipped tones "looks like a penis, only much smaller" he slunk off and I got a round of applause from the people standing near me

One of my finest moments grin <bows>

lljkk Wed 20-Mar-13 17:53:41

A few times I have been flagged to give someone directions on a car, but when I approached & often after I politely gave directions, I was verbally abused or mocked. It's very strange, a new game for young men especially, maybe. It's made me wary.

Few flashers, too, but I can report their license plates, at least.

Owllady Wed 20-Mar-13 17:47:47

wasn't it lee evans who did a sketch about why was it when you stopped and asked for directions you always asked the village idiot?

limitedperiodonly Wed 20-Mar-13 17:43:11

A black cab driver stopped to tell me I had nice legs. I wasn't looking for a cab but if I was it didn't make me want to hop in.

That's what I mean about having your wits about you. Other than that, you just have to trust and the idea that you're some kind of supersleuth is ridiculous and insulting.

kim147 Wed 20-Mar-13 17:03:31

Please tell me you did something with the coffee smile

There's a lot of weird blokes out there.

grimbletart Wed 20-Mar-13 17:00:58

Years ago I was hurrying along Euston Road to catch the last train, red hot coffee in hand. Guy stopped to ask directions he was having a wank:
not a good idea to do that to a woman carrying a hot coffee......

FloraFox Wed 20-Mar-13 16:48:31

Someone tried to ask me for directions when I was taking cash out of a machine in central London. Then she started spouting how rude I was when I ignored her.

I have told my children to be very wary of both men and women strangers. The risk of being abducted is highly unlikely but the consequences if it happens are huge. The risk of giving offence is more likely but the consequences are trivial. That's how I teach them to risk assess.

Molehillmountain Wed 20-Mar-13 12:31:23

I try not to-my directions are so rubbish they'd probably get lost! These days I'd look it up on my phone though.

BuddyButters Wed 20-Mar-13 12:17:43

I never do, but only because I've got no sense of direction.

Unless they wanted directions to my house.

If they wanted directions to anywhere else they'd end up in Scarborough. Unless they wanted directions to Scarborough. In which case they'd probably end up at my house.

TooYappy Wed 20-Mar-13 12:09:24

I have been ignored before but it has taken me to read this to realise, I now see my chasing people for directions it's possibly not acceptable and these people are quite clearly ignoring me and have not, 'just not heard me' as I have always thought.

They always answer when I follow them though. blush

I will stop it now.

Catchingmockingbirds Wed 20-Mar-13 11:40:59

When I was a teenager my friend was walking home after spending the day with me and someone stopped her for directions. It turned out there was more than one person but they were hiding in the back and they then tried to drag her into the car. Luckily she kicked and screamed and managed to get away, but it's made me wary ever since.

Tanith Wed 20-Mar-13 10:21:18

Many years ago, I was walking to work along a major road in Reading when a man in a van pulled up in a lay-by to ask directions. I told him and got a bit worried when he carried on talking so I backed off a bit. Then he opened the door and grabbed hold of me to pull me in.

I was extremely lucky that a passing lorry driver had seen and sounded his horn. Van driver leapt back in, and drove off as quick as he could.

I did report it, but was so shaken up I couldn't tell them much and I never heard any more about it.

Worra You should have just said "What a silliy little thing!" in your best brisk voice to your wanker grin That would really have ruined his day.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now