Would you give directions to someone in a car?

(115 Posts)
kim147 Tue 19-Mar-13 11:33:09

Petrol station on way to an appointment was shut yesterday afternoon so I drove to the next town thinking there's be a garage. Saw someone walking her dog so I pulled over, opened window and smiled nicely with an "excuse me, please". She looked at me and then carried on walking.

Luckily someone a bit further up the road was more helpful.

I'm sure I seemed friendly when I said "excuse me"

Sunnywithshowers Tue 19-Mar-13 19:44:31

I would, but I stay well away from the door.

digerd Tue 19-Mar-13 19:45:05

My DD's satnav has been known to send us to the wrong address'

It is very frustrating when you get lost driving. I can imagine people are stressed out by the time they ask.
My DH would never ask for directions, especially from another man, I had to do it.

kim147 Tue 19-Mar-13 20:05:06

backonbriefly

Was on a trip to a local village but fuel was low. Did not need Sat Nav as it was at home and I do not own a smart phone.

This was rural North Yorkshire with not many garages. When I was told where the garage was, it had no fuel because the garage 6 miles away had just closed so everyone had gone there. The joys of the country smile

ThingummyBob Tue 19-Mar-13 20:12:44

Finding fuel in North Yorkshire outside of 9-5 is as hard as finding rocking horse shit Kim grin

limitedperiodonly Tue 19-Mar-13 20:50:31

Yeah, why would anyone ask for directions or speak to anyone when they can use SatNav or Google? They're obviously out to abduct and murder you.

Be afraid and make sure you tell your children. That way they can be terrified of asking people for help too confused

How ridiculous.

Plomino Tue 19-Mar-13 20:56:05

I used to work in Central London , mainly on foot . I used to give out so many sets of directions , I started to wonder whether I had A-Z on my hat badge instead of E2R .

It's odd . Even when not at work , people ask me for directions . Even in a completely full petrol station , it's always me they ask . And I thought I didn't look approachable !

Hulababy Tue 19-Mar-13 20:59:04

I would and have, many times.

Mind you - one particular driver will probably still be fuming at me a couple of years on! He asked for directions to a local private hospital. I gave clear and accurate directions - well they were accurate if you wanted the other private hospital a couple of miles or so away! Eeek. I only realised half an hour later when I drove past it on my way home!

VerySmallSqueak Tue 19-Mar-13 21:03:47

Fear for good reason is not ridiculous limited.
I would give directions as I have had no problems when doing this.
Others have had different experiences.

VerySmallSqueak Tue 19-Mar-13 21:08:26

I used to hitch all over the place years ago.
I wouldn't do it now though.
Makes me wonder whether times have changed,whether I've changed,or whether I was just downright foolhardy in the first place confused

limitedperiodonly Tue 19-Mar-13 21:20:38

verysmallsqueak How nice that we agree because you probably didn't notice but upthread I talked about being cautious in case something dodgy happens.

However, I still believe that as long as you have your wits about you it'll be okay because most people want to know the way rather than to rape and murder you.

Which is what you think too, isn't it?

Beyond that it is ridiculous to live in fear.

gazzalw Tue 19-Mar-13 21:43:54

I don't live in fear giving directions. I was just flagging up that asking for directions can be a distraction tactic and that it is necessary to always be on the alert just in case....

VerySmallSqueak Tue 19-Mar-13 21:55:33

What I think limited is that if someone is scared to give directions because something has happened to them,then it's not ridiculous,it's understandable ('fear for good reason') IYSWIM.
Generally I agree that it is better not to live your life in fear if you are able and that it's better to believe there's good in most people.

seeker Tue 19-Mar-13 22:31:43

Has anyone been abducted by somebody who stopped to ask the way?1

lovesherdogstoomuch Tue 19-Mar-13 23:09:03

omg! sorry MNers but could not stp laffing at the guy masturbating in the car while you were giving directions...... omg. am so sorry for finding this funny. who would have thought. i have gaily given directions and really haven't noticed anything untoward. jessus. i am in my element when giving directions. ;/

sashh Wed 20-Mar-13 03:01:08

When I was young and stupid I used to give people the wrong directions on purpose

Are you in Devon? Was it you who sent my parents the wrong way?

I will always give directions.

In one case I got in the car because it was very difficult to explain how to get there but very near.

ThisIsMummyPig Wed 20-Mar-13 03:30:59

I grew up in a rural area, and had to walk home three miles, mostly along roads with no pavements, and no streetlights. I must have been stopped 2-3 times a week by people asking for directions, and I always gave them.

I still give directions regularly, and I don't have a sat-nav, or a smart phone. Nor do my parents, my in laws etc. Even if they did, what are the odds of knowing the postcode where you are going?

exoticfruits Wed 20-Mar-13 06:56:07

Has anyone been abducted by a family of 5 travelling in an average family sized car?!

exoticfruits Wed 20-Mar-13 06:59:20

If you go to self defence classes they deal with giving people directions. It is very simple, you always position yourself so that if they open the door it is between you and them. This gives you warning if they are going to get out and bundle you in- and you run for it.

PseudoBadger Wed 20-Mar-13 07:11:22

There are lots of dog thefts at the moment - perhaps that's why she ignored you.

exoticfruits Wed 20-Mar-13 07:14:33

The mind boggles at how you get out of the car and bundle a strange dog in while the owner is standing there!

PseudoBadger Wed 20-Mar-13 07:18:14

Believe it or not in certain areas of the country people really are quite concerned about the rate of thefts. I was just putting it out as a possibility.

exoticfruits Wed 20-Mar-13 07:22:16

I can see that, but I can't see why a lone woman in a car is going to be a threat.

seeker Wed 20-Mar-13 07:27:52

When was anyone last "bundled into a car"?

RooneyMara Wed 20-Mar-13 07:54:52

yes of course - kidnap is just another urban myth.

limitedperiodonly Wed 20-Mar-13 08:06:07

About the same time as a car spontaneously combusted on the forecourt of a petrol station.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now