Would you give directions to someone in a car?

(115 Posts)
kim147 Tue 19-Mar-13 11:33:09

Petrol station on way to an appointment was shut yesterday afternoon so I drove to the next town thinking there's be a garage. Saw someone walking her dog so I pulled over, opened window and smiled nicely with an "excuse me, please". She looked at me and then carried on walking.

Luckily someone a bit further up the road was more helpful.

I'm sure I seemed friendly when I said "excuse me"

mrs2cats Tue 19-Mar-13 11:35:36

That's weird. Maybe she hadn't heard and thought you'd mistaken her for someone else?

Yes, I'd give instructions to someone in a car. I always stand well back from the car though.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Tue 19-Mar-13 11:36:07

This reminds me of a bad experience.

Walking along. Man politely asked for directions while say in car. I went into great detail telling him how to get there. Glanced back at him and realised he had been masterbating the whole time. grin

I would still stop and give someone directions though.

MrsKeithRichards Tue 19-Mar-13 11:36:38

I would, although I'm terrible at giving directions and look odd as I turn about trying to put myself on the route in my head to remember left and right.

Lots of reasons why someone won't though.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Tue 19-Mar-13 11:36:46

Say in car = sat in car

Feminine Tue 19-Mar-13 11:41:22

I was walking home, 8 months pregnant and it was pissing down with rain.

A lady in a car wanted complicated directions, I gave them to her quite a few times. It took ages for her to understand.

At the end of the conversation I was soaked (more) and she drove off without even a "Thanks"

I still give directions. grin

thezebrawearspurple Tue 19-Mar-13 11:42:09

Perhaps she didn't speak english, suffers anxiety or is suspicious of strangers due to past experience. I think most people would happily give directions if they can, I always do.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 19-Mar-13 11:42:53

@ WhenSheWasBad.... eww... Did you call the police or anything?

limitedperiodonly Tue 19-Mar-13 11:44:50

Yes but I was told to keep the door between me and them - so facing the back of the car, not the front.

I once had a man ask me why I was standing like that and why I didn't stand the other way so I walked off.

ThingummyBob Tue 19-Mar-13 11:46:57

When I was young and stupid I used to give people the wrong directions on purpose blush

It serves me right that I'd never ask anyone myself now as I'm afraid I'll be sent the wrong way.

livinginwonderland Tue 19-Mar-13 11:51:12

i do, unless i'm alone at night, and i always stand way back from the car.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Tue 19-Mar-13 11:51:39

cognito I just laughed at him and walked off. I was 16 at the time and this was the second time something like this happened.

It's a bit sad that it didn't shock me at that age.

seeker Tue 19-Mar-13 11:53:46

I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't give directions. Even if you don't speak English surely you can at least say "sorry, I don't speak English" I can say "sorry, I don't speak[insert any of I think 6 languages here.]" in the appropriate language!

BringBackBod Tue 19-Mar-13 11:56:24

I often get asked for directions and always do my best, but I'm crap at it tbh.

Bridgetbidet Tue 19-Mar-13 12:00:16

I am careful. When I was 17 a man asked me for directions then tried to get me into his car. I am fairly certain it was someone later convicted of some very serious crimes linked to that sort of behaviour.

So I am careful, if I was somewhere very isolated or where I felt vulnerable I would err on the side of caution.

KittyAndTheFontanelles Tue 19-Mar-13 12:03:11

Perhaps she was deaf. My friend, who is profoundly deaf, wouldn't engage with a hearing person who he doesn't know. He's not rude he just lacks the confidence to try to communicate with a potentially non deaf-aware person in such circumstances.

Yes, but having had it drummed into me as a child I always stand well back out of grabbing range.

TheNebulousBoojum Tue 19-Mar-13 12:09:29

Yes if it seems genuine, but in the same way as limited.
I also have a clear voice, so I don't need to snuggle up to the driver. smile

Fakebook Tue 19-Mar-13 12:12:43

I always get flustered when someone asks me for directions. One day on the way back from dropping dd off at school, someone pulled up beside me and asked directions to a pub. I'd never heard of it and told him to go into a side road and that particular area had the same name as the pub, so assumed it would be there. He said thanks and drove on about a metre and turned into a massive pub at the end of the road and embarrassingly there was the pub. I walk past it everyday and didnt know the name blush. He got out and smiled at me and pointed at the pub. Never have I been so embarrassed in my life.

diddl Tue 19-Mar-13 12:19:37

I always give directions.

One time someone was looking for a particular house number-the road they wanted ran across the end of the road they were on.

So they asked me if they needed to go left or right!

All I could say is try one way, if it's not correct, try the other.

Was out walking the dog once & got asked for directions by a blind lady.

That was difficult.

bigbluebus Tue 19-Mar-13 12:25:42

I always give directions to people who stop and ask. I have never given it a second thought - obviously I am very naiive and have led a sheltered life!

pigletmania Tue 19-Mar-13 12:31:06

Yanbu she was rude. I always try to help with directions if somebody stops in a car

Pandemoniaa Tue 19-Mar-13 12:31:22

I always give directions and living out in the middle of nowhere, there are a surprising number of people who've lost their way and can't work out where the next village has disappeared to.

I do recall, with absolute shame, the day I gave directions in French to a family who were en route to the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry. It involved lots of "follow X road for x kilometres" sort of directions and I felt really rather proud of myself. It was as they sped up the wrong road that I realised that I'd told them to turn left instead of right in my determination to prove my less than successful linguistic skills. blush

MrsHoarder Tue 19-Mar-13 12:39:09

Yes, but I'd also step back from your car.

If asking I wouldn't judge someone who didn't respond, you don't know what they thought as they walked away.

WorraLiberty Tue 19-Mar-13 12:43:21

Walking along. Man politely asked for directions while say in car. I went into great detail telling him how to get there. Glanced back at him and realised he had been masterbating the whole time.

OMFG exactly the same thing happened to me! shock

The difference was, he actually had to point it out to me because I was so busy yapping that I didn't realise!

I then called him a dirty bastard and threw my can of coke at this car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now