To think Bill Roache needs to hang his head in shame?

(205 Posts)
dublindee Tue 19-Mar-13 10:41:12

Just saw sky news article on my iPhone re this:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/coronation-street-actor-bill-roache-1772534

I am disgusted. I think he should be sacked and I think he should make a public apology.

Tuhlulah Fri 07-Feb-14 21:17:14

Anapit: 'But I am glad for him and his family that he has been acquited. My dad is 81 and the thought of women falsely alleging things about him makes me really angry'

Anapit -your dad's not Rolf Harris, is he?

BoneyBackJefferson Fri 07-Feb-14 21:05:34

YoureBeing

TBH, I'm not sure why I posted It, possibly a mix of guilt at not doing anything about how he was treated and feeling that in doing something I/we would be helping an abuser.

Bowlersarm

The whole thing was mad looking back on it.

I think that we all thought "no smoke without fire"

deakymom Fri 07-Feb-14 21:03:20

personally i dont believe my crap life has anything to do with past lives it is what ive done in this one that counts anything else is just pure speculation

deakymom Fri 07-Feb-14 20:59:39

i actually had some sympathy for him when he was dragged through the mud like that i dont anymore

has anyone thought of calling adult social sevices? somebody needs a capacity check

WeekendsAreHappyDays Fri 07-Feb-14 20:56:32

grade a fucking cunt

Lazyjaney Fri 07-Feb-14 20:54:46

"My comments were my opinions and who knows if they are right or wrong, they are my beliefs and my views. his remarks and opinions given during the interview with Garth Bray to me show him to be a 'disgusting vile man'"

Yet you refuse to accept the findings of a court of law. Massive selection bias IMO.

I'm beginning to understand why defamation and libel law exists, otherwise there is little point in having a legal process if everyone who doesn't like the verdict can just carry on making the same accusations.

Bowlersarm Fri 07-Feb-14 20:45:10

Boney crazy isn't it?

helenthemadex Fri 07-Feb-14 20:10:28

1) they didnt choose to believe him. They just didnt belive the evidence proved beyond reasonable doubt that he did it. Those are two different things.

agree with this, there are many people who cannot be found guilty because there is reasonable doubt, and I believe that this is what has happened here, due to the time that has elapsed it was difficult impossible to prove guilt. Guilty people found not guilty does happen, all to frequently sadly.

We do live in a society where there is presumed innocence, and a democratic process, which I do believe in, despite the fact there are people who get away with things, it is better to be that way than to have innocent people wrongly imprisoned.

My comments were my opinions and who knows if they are right or wrong, they are my beliefs and my views. his remarks and opinions given during the interview with Garth Bray to me show him to be a 'disgusting vile man'. I also believe his celebrity status did have an impact on the case.

BR is expressing a belief system that is along the lines of some branches of Buddhism (as well as others).

If you know the whole belief system then you would not be interpreting what he had said, as many on this thread are.

His answer to "are you saying that victims bring it on themselves".

Was "No".

Then, he went on to say "but, yet I am". Which is correct, as a question on such a matter cannot be answered simply and can easily be misunderstood.

Buddist belief is complex and points cannot be taken in isolation.

Mostly he preaches Kibdness and Non Judgement.

I follow a different branch of Buddihism, but I understand what he tried to say when discussing his beliefs (this shouldn't of been attempted and would always be used to attack the person, unless they were super popular).

YoureBeingASillyBilly Fri 07-Feb-14 19:42:09

hmm

lovely story boney

BoneyBackJefferson Fri 07-Feb-14 19:35:54

A good few years ago (15 ish), I worked with a man (for 2 days) who someone started a "rumour" about.

The "rumour" was that he had sexual abused a young girl.
I have no idea who started the rumour.
I have no idea as to the truth of the rumour.

I do remember that by the end of the first day no-one would speak to him, sit with him, or eat with him. (I was taken to one side and had the rumour told to me). At the end of the second day he left.

There was no trial, no evidence, there was just a rumour.

Bowlersarm Fri 07-Feb-14 19:21:41

helenthemadex you do, indeed, sound mad.

Lazyjaney Fri 07-Feb-14 19:19:51

"despite the verdict I do not believe he is innocent, nor the greasy mechanic"

Why bother with courts and lawyers and all that then? Far simpler if you just believe every accusation is true, and that the accused is always guilty. Gets you to the same place at a fraction of the price to the public purse.

lilyaldrin Fri 07-Feb-14 19:18:13

I am amazed that anyone would wish a man "all the best in the future" when he has such vile views about victims of sexual abuse and rape.

caruthers Fri 07-Feb-14 18:37:06

Thankfully you weren't on the jury Helen.

Justice looks to have been served and I wish him all the best in the future.

ShatzePage Fri 07-Feb-14 17:26:40

The CPS dont bring cases without sound evidence? hmm

Varya Fri 07-Feb-14 17:22:11

For me, mud sticks. The CPS don't bring cases unless there is sound evidence. Never seen Corrie thank goodness but this individual should be pensioned off into oblivion. To say he had no self control with women around him before he got married reveals a lot about this person.

helenthemadex Fri 07-Feb-14 17:14:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MollyHooper Fri 07-Feb-14 16:46:13
Vevvie Fri 07-Feb-14 16:21:52

Disgusting words that came out of his mouth in a televised interview, he can't take them back.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Fri 07-Feb-14 15:55:01

Yes lots of people accused of things endure lots of speculation. Being famous doesnt make you exempt from that. His comments linked at the start of this thread probably added to the speculation. HIS comments- thst he said himself. Nobody put those words in his mouth.

DanceParty Fri 07-Feb-14 15:52:22

Oh, not this again. Twas all done and dusted in yesterday main thread.

ShatzePage Fri 07-Feb-14 15:50:46

He was found not guilty but has had to endure months of speculation about his private life. I think the prosecution shot itself in the foot when in their opening evidence they advised the jury to find him guilty because jimmy saville had got away with it.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Fri 07-Feb-14 15:45:52

Shatze

1) they didnt choose to believe him. They just didnt belive the evidence proved beyond reasonable doubt that he did it. Those are two different things.

2) this thread was started before any allegations were made and was resurrected by some idiot thinking it was to do with those allegations. No-one here is being part of a witch hunt.

They did not 'choose to believe him'. They chose not to convict him based on a system that acknowledges and enshrines the idea that it is better that 100 guilty men go free than one innocent man is convicted. This is the imperfect system we have. For civil cases the burden of proof is different.

BTW I am not talking specifically about BR but generally about convictions. I'm not saying that BR did what he was accused of I am saying that a LOT of people who are found not guilty did do what they were accused of. A not guilty verdict does not a false accusation make.

Maybe the 'witch hunt' is a way of opening dialogue about the woefully poor conviction rates and what to do about them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now