Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to wonder if anyone actually cares about choices in pregnancyand birth and the state of maternity services in the UK?

(55 Posts)
TeggieCampbeggBlegg Tue 19-Mar-13 08:35:49

Do women want to have continuity of care?

Do women care about who looks after them in labour? Do women want to be cared for by the same midwife (or midwives) before, during snd after, birth?

Do women want to be offered choice or just be told what to do?

INeedThatForkOff Tue 19-Mar-13 20:29:24

I sort of missed the point there, didn't I?

I did initially hope for continuity at antenatal, during labour and postnatal stages, but it wasn't a problem that I didn't really get it. This time I remember wishing that there didn't have to be a shift change as I was comfortable with my midwife, but the one who came on shift was absolutely bloody wonderful.

Postnatally I saw three different MWs, none of them my antenatal MW, but they all brought something different to the experience.

I think I'm quite lucky in that of the many, many MWs I came into contact with during two pregnancies, including the postnatal stay and home visits, there was only one I didn't take to, and she was just a bit snotty, not unkind. I actually think they're a special bunch of people.

MiaowTheCat Tue 19-Mar-13 20:30:15

I had a horrific birth last time leavibg me with severe trauma issues and haunted by nightmares for nearly a year.

Just given birth again today and while the same physical stuff went wrong- I was listened to and treated like a person and not just a piece of meat
Made more difference than having the same face dealing with me to be honest!

redwellybluewelly Tue 19-Mar-13 20:39:55

I've posted tonight in SN and in Childbirth topics

DC1 - left brain injured due to shocking maternity care in delivery. Completely and utterly avoidable.

DC2 - promised continuity of care, assistance with severe anxiety. Found out today the consultant who promised better care has gone ahead and booked my ELCS without any discussion on dates. As yet I also have no MH support. There is no MH support for pg women in our PCT. I'm fairly sure they are breaking NICE clinical guidelines.

Good maternity care isn't just about the birth, its about being supported during the pregnancy as well.

oohlaalaa Tue 19-Mar-13 20:46:16

I had different midwives throughout. It didn't bother me. I also had a straightforward labour, and good birth experience. Perhaps if it had been different, I'd care more.

ukatlast Tue 19-Mar-13 23:57:57

The main thing I care about is for a woman to have a right to choose pain relief (eg epidural) early on during labour - why suffer unnecessarily? Ditto elective C-section in advance.

It is good to have the same midwife ante-natally but highly unlikely you will see the same one at delivery - don't mind this as people do have to change shift anyway.
Kindness and competence are the most important factors as others have said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now