To confess I don't donate to charity

(130 Posts)
VAVAV00M Tue 19-Mar-13 02:32:18

Not because I'm evil, I just don't trust them.

The only 'charitable' things I do is donate to church, I'm brownie group leader, help out at the local stables and students who need very hard to get but needed work experience for my line if work.

Am I going to hell?

I've just been made to feel guilty by not donating to RND by peers.

I honestly won't donate until they have a list on the website showing every penny spent and where it ha gone.

crashdoll Tue 19-Mar-13 09:40:08

Giving your time is just as valuable if not more! This is what I do.

Toasttoppers Tue 19-Mar-13 09:40:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

comfysofas Tue 19-Mar-13 09:50:18

My comment on minimum wagw was meant to be tongue in cheek.

But when I read that some well know charities pay their chief executives in excess of a million pounds a year I was rather shocked.

Also I did not read this in any paper is was year end results that I was involved in.

Wallison Tue 19-Mar-13 09:54:35

I think it's a very personal thing, as it's your own individual money. No-one should be made to feel guilty about the choices that they make because ultimately the decision about what charities to support comes down to value systems. So OP as long as you are happy with your decision, I think that is the main thing. I support a couple of charities that I got to know while doing development work because I know where my money will be going and I want to assist them in the work they do.

However, I also do things that I know other people think I shouldn't - I will give money to homeless people who are begging on the street; not every time, but I do do it. I know that even homeless charities say not to do this, but there are times when I can't just walk past someone sitting in the rain/snow as I go back to my nice warm house. Anyway, I figure it's my money and if I want to do it, it's up to me. I also buy food (a Big Mac always goes down very well for one guy I've got to know) and hot drinks/soup for them, but if they just want money then that's fair enough too.

timidviper Tue 19-Mar-13 09:56:05

Charity is not compulsory. Do what your budget and conscience dictate and all will be fine.

Crinkle77 Tue 19-Mar-13 09:59:12

I have to be honest I have got fed up with people constantly wanting money off me for some charity thing or another. I am fed up of people wanting sponsorship. It has got to the point now that every week someone is doing a sponsored something or another and tries to guilt trip you.

Wallison Tue 19-Mar-13 10:05:06

I tend not to give that much for sponsored this that and the other. Like I say, I have my charities that I donate to and actually I do voluntary work as well. So I'm happy with the contribution that I make to the third sector and don't feel the need to do any more.

Half the time these sponsored things are just glorified jaunts anyway. For eg I've got one friend who's trying to raise money by going to Machu Picchu, ffs - no, I will not pay for you to have a fucking holiday.

weegiemum Tue 19-Mar-13 10:05:47

I work for a small charity that aids women who are illiterate in gaining literacy and numeracy skills. Love my job.

We give approx10% of gross income away. Some to our church, otherwise to several charities we know and like.

As a matter of principle we don't give to street-chuggers or the ones who bang on the door. Or the ones who phone. We give where and when we choose.

Thingiebob Tue 19-Mar-13 10:09:13

I have worked for two CEOs of two very well known charities and their annual wage was surprisingly low. Two high profile medical charities at that.

Having worked in the charitable sector for some years and seen the direct impact fundraising makes on service provision and how those in need benefit, I cringe when I hear people declaring they don't trust charity and how the money gets swallowed up in admin and running costs. Not true in most cases.

I would rather give to charity than to the church. Most corrupt organisation there is!

It's your money though.

mrsjay Tue 19-Mar-13 10:10:40

Does the church give a spread sheet to see where the money is going confused I think yabu and paranoid , but I dont think yabu to not donate to charity, I would work on trusting others and not just your church

MrsKeithRichards Tue 19-Mar-13 11:46:32

What charity pays that much? I work for a national charity. Our chief executive is lovely, works hard at raising our profile, is where the buck stops with regards to decisions we're making (accountability comes at a price) and gets paid £65k which is a hell of lot more than I'll ever earn, but hardly scandalous is it?

poshme Tue 19-Mar-13 11:59:46

It's interesting how many people ask if the church provides a spreadsheet of where the money goes- we give to our church, and every year they do show us where the money goes at the AGM. The accounts are available for anyone to see at any time- they just have to ask. And there is a graph on the wall of the church showing where the money goes.
Not all churches keep these things secret.

JesusInTheCabbageVan Tue 19-Mar-13 12:02:54

BrokenBritain that is an excellent point.

Comfysofas your point is not an excellent point. It is the point of someone who hasn't really thought things through.

mrsjay Tue 19-Mar-13 12:05:51

t's interesting how many people ask if the church provides a spreadsheet of where the money goes- we give to our church, and every year they do show us where the money goes at the AGM. The accounts are available for anyone to see at any time- they just have to ask. And there is a graph on the wall of the church showing where the money goes.

charities do exactly the same though the OP is not convinced her money will go where it says it does all ins and outs of donations for any charity can be seen, I have nothing against churches fwiw I was just trying to ask a question

WMittens Tue 19-Mar-13 13:13:48

I think charity donations are a personal thing, it's up to each individual if they choose to support a charity or not.

specialsubject Tue 19-Mar-13 13:19:40

you DO give - your time. That is expensive stuff.

The overheads for Comic Relief are massive and I am not convinced that it is the best use of charitable donations.

I will refrain from comment on donating to religion - but it is your money and up to you.

WMittens Tue 19-Mar-13 13:21:18

MrsKeithRichards

"What charity pays that much?"

I don't know the amount you were querying, but this link gives a list of CEO salaries. I can't see a source date, but the copyright notice at the bottom says 2011.

society.guardian.co.uk/salarysurvey/table/0,12406,1042677,00.html

The highest I could see from a glance was £205,000 for the Royal Opera House CEO, who also had the highest pay rise on the previous year (nearly 25%).

The CEO of Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund has the highest salary per charity income.

MrsKeithRichards Tue 19-Mar-13 13:32:32

comfysofas mentions several charities paying chief executives in excess of 1 million a year, that's what I was querying.

Broken: I never said that at all. I said that I didn't want to support charities who used chuggers, and phone salesmen (specifically those paid for it) who coerced people into giving them money. I don't like charities who have a new ad campaign every other week (or so it seems). If I donate, I want my money to go to the people the charity represents, not a young gap year student who is being paid £8 an hour, given a free or very cheap house and then given huge bonuses depending on how many people sign up or to the people who employ them to do this.

"Typically our fundraisers earn approximately £1500.00 per month with our generous performance related pay structure" That is too much to give a chugger or door to door salesman. The typical pay before 'bonuses' is usually around £1000 minimum.

However on the subject of the salaries of those higher up in the charities, I do think that some get way more than what is reasonable. They do deserve a decent pay packet, but one that is excessive it drawing too much from the money people donate for the cause.

NinaHeart Tue 19-Mar-13 14:03:50

All charity accounts can be viewed online at the Charity Commission, unless they have an annual income of less than £25K.
In 24 years of charity work, I have never come across a British charity that pays it's CEO anywhere near £1m. I'd be interested to hear who it is.

NinaHeart Tue 19-Mar-13 14:09:50

And I resent the inference that charities waste money - where I work, for example, aside from a pension contribution (which is getting to be compulsory these days) we have no other "perks" or benefits. No gym membership, no private health care, no pay rises for 5 years, no staff room, statutory sick and maternity benefits only, no kitchen (I can't even wash up my coffee cup, except in the basin in the toilet), drinking water has to be bought from Sainsburys....
And an expectation that everyone will work way over their contracted hours.

An easy life in the third sector is perhaps not looking quite so attractive now?

MrsDeVere Tue 19-Mar-13 17:00:22

I have to agree with Nina on that. I have never worked for a charity that awarded any perks to its employees. Not at my level anyway.
When you work for a charity you are expected to suck it up and get on with it.
I have worked in freezing cold offices, reused envelopes looooong before recycling was the norm etc.

Mind you I work in the public sector now and its costing me a sodding fortune. hmm

comfysofas Tue 19-Mar-13 17:23:16

wmittens

The salary pay you gave in the links are 10 years old.

It is not just the salary that counts its all the freebies and bonuses.

MrsKeithRichards Tue 19-Mar-13 17:24:07

The chuggers aren't generally employed by the charity. Charities use agencies to generate fundraising leads, they pay these agencies a fee for each lead signed up. Free or cheap house? For chuggers? Really?

MrsKeithRichards Tue 19-Mar-13 17:25:16

Bonuses to who?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now