To not tolerate being punched in the face?

(67 Posts)
featherbag Sun 17-Mar-13 18:16:12

I've just been punched in the face whilst at work (Nurse)! I'm gobsmacked! I've had the person arrested and charged, but I've been made to feel (by some colleagues) that an internal incident form would've sufficed. I disagree, I was doing my job in a professional friendly manner as always, why should this ever be thought of as an acceptable risk of going to work? I'm livid!

LastTangoInDevonshire Sun 17-Mar-13 18:41:50

I'm with bullet - clarification needed from the OP.

hiddenhome Sun 17-Mar-13 18:42:19

Well you wouldn't call the police in that case, but I do find that staff put up with far too much in the hospital environment. When my late dh was in hospital, there was a lad who physically assaulted one of the female nurses, but they didn't call the police because he had a head injury. The male nurses dealt with him after that though.

tiredemma Sun 17-Mar-13 18:44:11

We get this all the time feather bag- but we are expected to just put up with it (because the patients are mentally ill).

HillBilly76 Sun 17-Mar-13 18:50:23

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Same here tired, mental health hospital trust and we've only started taking a hard line approach and prosecuting patients in the past year. Before then we just had to put up with it.

coughingbean Sun 17-Mar-13 18:54:45

YANBU hope you are ok wine thanks

LastTangoInDevonshire Sun 17-Mar-13 18:56:34

*DrGoogle" - DO mentally ill patients understand 'being prosecuted' then? Does it help their mental illness?

LastTangoInDevonshire Sun 17-Mar-13 18:57:18

*DrGoogle - DO mentally ill patients understand 'being prosecuted' then? Does it help their mental illness and their recovery?

It depends on the person who punched you and why. If it were a confused, frightened dementia patient then yabu. A capable person just being a twat, yanbu.

hippoherostandinghere Sun 17-Mar-13 19:00:46

I think it depends who's doing the punching tbh. I'm a HCA, I've dealt with quite a few abusive patients but none who I would want arrested as they weren't in the right frame of mind to control their actions.

If it was a drunk in a&e then yes, Have them arrested. An elderly person acutely confused might also try to punch but I wouldn't have them arrested.

Last yes they do.

"Does it help their mental illness?" - I don't understand the question.

They understand that violence is not ok. They understand that police will be called in, they will be interviewed under caution and they will be prosecuted. They understand that they will most likely receive a fine or their current sentence will be extended.

Assaults on staff have reduced massively since we started doing this although the main driving force for the Trust to start doing this was to reduce staff sickness hmm.

GoshAnneGorilla Sun 17-Mar-13 19:02:43

YANBU - completely unacceptable. Staff absolutely should not have to tolerate such behaviour.

LastTangoInDevonshire Sun 17-Mar-13 19:06:06

or their current sentence will be extended - are we talking hospitals or prisons here? I thought we were talking hospitals/care facilities!!

Loislane78 Sun 17-Mar-13 19:06:31

Assuming no obvious mental illness I think that's totally unacceptable and you did the right thing - and should be supported by your coworkers!

People go on about certain groups not receiving NHS treatment (smokers, obese etc.) frankly I'd start with people like that who think hitting out is somehow acceptable. I think the NHS is one of the best things about the UK and all too often key workers aren't paid enough to do a tough job and can do without some knobhead thinking they can lash out because they're angry.

Glad you're ok smile

Sugarice Sun 17-Mar-13 19:09:06

I hope you're ok.

I was in hospital in november for 3 nights. One patient had the family from hell visiting who were abusive to the staff , their manner was threatening and they refused to leave at home time telling the nurses she'd have to ' fucking fight me before you get me out the door you cunt'

The nurses had no support from management at all, it was horrendous.

aldiwhore Sun 17-Mar-13 19:09:41

I think it does depend on what kind of nurse you are. If you are a MH Nurse then I would think that sometimes the more appropriate course of action is an internal incideit process. BUT even a MH Nurse shouldn't have to expect it as par for the course... and sometimes prosecution is appropriate then too.

Glad you're okay.

aldiwhore Sun 17-Mar-13 19:10:49

incident

Bambalam Sun 17-Mar-13 19:18:39

At risk of being a bore, you should also report this as an incident feather if you haven't already. And YADNBU to have involved the police. Are these the same type of colleagues who wouldn't pipe up if something below standard was going on? It is too easy not to challenge the status quo but you are right to.

Last definitely a hospital.

wreckedone Sun 17-Mar-13 19:30:44

YADNBU. Hubby is a doc in a&e and the amount of stuff that staff have to put up with is unbelievable. Often it goes no further than an incident form because otherwise they'd be calling the police every shift, but it's a joke. And, of course, you can't refuse to treat them.

poppypebble Sun 17-Mar-13 19:48:11

I teach in a fairly average secondary school and if anyone suggested getting the police involved for an assault by a student, your card would be well and truly marked by SLT. Doesn't look good. It is ridiculous.

However, I have also had a tooth knocked out by my very severely mentally ill sister when I tried to stop her absconding from the hospital, and reporting her to the police would have done no good at all, as she didn't have the capacity to understand what she was doing. I think it really does depend on whether or not the person was in control of their actions.

featherbag Sun 17-Mar-13 19:49:01

Quick clarification as need to get back, I'm A&E, patient was NT. I've been hurt by patients with dementia before, or with another medical condition/injury which meant they couldn't be held fully responsible for their actions, I would never report to police for that and in most cases see it as my own fault for not ducking fast enough, but this man (not elderly either!) simply punched me, for no reason, and with no warning.

BumpingFuglies Sun 17-Mar-13 19:51:13

shock OP, can understand why you are cross. I hope you are ok and can get through your shift.

Lifeisontheup Sun 17-Mar-13 20:15:22

Hope the rest of the shift is better OP.

Loulybelle Sun 17-Mar-13 20:18:40

Feather, well done for sticking up for yourself, sometimes you will get hurt by people, but they cant help it.

But there was no motive, you have the right to seek a little justice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now