WIBU to wash reusable nappies in a laundrette?

(41 Posts)
chocolateygoo Sun 17-Mar-13 18:06:44

Washing machine has broken. ARGH. I have a weekend's worth of used washable nappies that need washing.

Obviously all poo has gone down the loo, but they do stink of wee and have some poo stains (tmi, sorry!).

WIBU to wash them at the laundrette? Would you be horrified to put your clothes in after my nappies had been in?

The other option is to ask a neighbour, but that's even more gross I think? (they have kids but don't use reusable nappies).

I've just totally lost sight of what is socially acceptable these days! Thanks.

UnChartered Sun 17-Mar-13 18:08:44

i'd do them for you

washing machine is washing machine - you live near me?

PM me?

KatyTheCleaningLady Sun 17-Mar-13 18:08:45

Um... I think this is something that I would do in your position and NEVER TELL ANYONE.

Truth is, all underpants have specks of poo on them and so washing your nappies in hot water will do no more harm that anybody else's load. But, for the peace of mind of other people, I'd keep schtum.

MummyNoName Sun 17-Mar-13 18:09:03

Yanbu if you put them on a hot wash

You could always pop the machine on again after you finished, to do a 'maintenance wash' if you felt bad.

But no, I wouldn't be bothered if I saw you washing nappies.

<stares at DH pants of yuck... >

MousyMouse Sun 17-Mar-13 18:14:09

yanbu
assuming the 'solids' have been removed and only 'skiddies' remain.

zwischenzug Sun 17-Mar-13 18:14:11

Of course it's fine, what would you do if your washing machine packed in and you couldn't get anyone to fix it for several weeks, and then you had several 'accidents' yourself?

Mandy2003 Sun 17-Mar-13 18:15:56

Much less so than the people locally who use the launderette for their horse and dog blankets angry

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 17-Mar-13 18:55:39

I don't think you are being unreasonable. Who knows what has been through the machines at a launderette? Poo stains are probably not a rarity.

Dannilion Sun 17-Mar-13 19:01:00

YANBU. I use the laundrette to wash all of DP's smelly dirty tarry gross work clothes. Don't want them in my washing machine oh no <snob>

WhatKindofFool Sun 17-Mar-13 19:03:08

People must have washed them at the launderette before disposables were widely used.

complexnumber Sun 17-Mar-13 19:06:47

Of course you ANBU.

Though I do hope you are not standing in front of a washing machine in your local laundry with a pooey nappy in one hand, and a tablet or something in the other, awaiting the MN approval.

MrsKeithRichards Sun 17-Mar-13 19:10:49

I use reusable nappies and never noticed a stink after?

chocolateygoo Sun 17-Mar-13 21:28:10

Thanks all for the unanimous yes. I have a few friends who think reusable nappies are some sort of crime against humanity, its hard to know what's reasonable when you're used to it every day.

unchartered in East Anglia? Thanks for the offer!!

complexnumber lol it hasn't come to that quite yet!

MrsKeithRichards mine smell really bad before washing (maybe my kids just have smelly wee, also I dry pail them for up to 2 days before washing giving lots of time for the ammonia to develop). They're fine after the wash (60 with prewash, napisan and extra rinse), and even better if aired outside for a bit.

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 17-Mar-13 21:33:42

Yanbu.

But if your bothered by it just do a empty hot wash after.

foreverondiet Sun 17-Mar-13 21:34:36

It's fine but maybe wash something else in the same machine right after!!!

Owllady Sun 17-Mar-13 21:36:05

I think it would be fine, they wash duvets and all sorts surely?#and they are industrial machines, not domestic ones

pointythings Sun 17-Mar-13 21:36:16

I'm in East Anglia, but it's quite big - are you anywhere near Bury St Edmunds? My machine is used to washables.

HollyBerryBush Sun 17-Mar-13 21:36:38

I have been in the launderette when someone came in with horse shit blankets and riding gear.

Makes a babies nappy pale into insignificance really.

But launderette machines rarely go above 40 degrees, they aren't configured for a good old boil wash

pointythings Sun 17-Mar-13 21:38:16

And FWIW I wouldn't mind washables in a launderette, though I'd probably wash them at 60 rather than 40.

If you're in Cambridge, PM me. I have a relative who actually runs a nappy laundering service there...

toobreathless Sun 17-Mar-13 22:05:08

Go for it.

Molehillmountain Sun 17-Mar-13 22:08:04

Course it's fine. People are strange. Launderettes are for washing out everything that gets into stuff that's worn or slept in. Nappies fall into that category.

MrsDimples Sun 17-Mar-13 22:08:28

I've washed cloth nappies in the launderette.

fallon8 Sun 17-Mar-13 22:15:28

This is why disposable ones were invented...why go to the hassle of lugging grotty nappies around? What is the point? Who benefits? Certainly not you or other launderette users...move into the 21st Century..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now