Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIB xenophobic or is she BU?

(78 Posts)
Sixparrotspullingupcarrots Sun 17-Mar-13 13:38:10

My friend is not from the UK, but from anther English speaking country. Her DH is British. They have a child who was born here. She's always going on about how great her country is, how she can't wait to move back there, how rubbish the UK is, how she could never bear to have another child here because the NHS is so bad etc etc.

Her DH is looking for jobs in her country. Although she keeps moaning about how the jobs he's applying for are in the wrong part of her country. He works in a very limited field so I think anything he can find would be good, if they are so desperate to go back.

They are currently back in her country visiting friends and family. Today she emailed me and a few of our other friends a video of the baby food aisle of a supermarket saying 'There's so much more choice here!'.

AIBU to tell her stop going on and on about how great her country is? She chose to move here. And now there are opportunities to go home, why is she moaning about them?

I know this post sounds a bit xenophobic, but I don't mean to be. I just find the constant comparisons of the UK and her home very negative and frankly rude.

fedupofnamechanging Tue 19-Mar-13 13:30:45

Most countries have good things and not so good things about them and it's natural to miss home (wherever home may be). But it's rude to move to another country and then slag it off.

I take the view that no one is compelled to live here, so if they are not happy, then they are free to bugger off back home and it's not xenophobic to say so.

Moominsarehippos Tue 19-Mar-13 14:05:06

But some people are just whingers! Always looking for something to complain about.

Send her to Wholefoods for her US-shopping fix. The NHS may be mixed but I've seen my sisters healthcare and dental bills in the US and they are eye-watering! And their bread is crap...

Moominsarehippos Tue 19-Mar-13 14:07:39

I find it annoying when one parent bleats on about how awful the culture, weather, people... are in the country of the other parent. So mums country is perfect and dad is just all crap? Pretty disrespectful until the kid gets to an age when they can say 'actually mum, I'm half British, so you are insulting me too'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now