Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To stop preparing for our holiday since nobody else can be arsed?

(41 Posts)
Miast Sun 17-Mar-13 12:13:04

Tomorrow we fly to America for a 3 week east to west nightmare trip involving shit loads of planning and organisation.

Fuck all has been done so far, no packing or sorting - nothing. We were supposed to do some of it Friday afternoon as DP had the afternoon off work but instead he books an opticians appointment and we end up stuck in there for most of the afternoon - he then gets drops put in his eyes so he can't do fuck all for the rest of the afternoon. So that's a wright off.

Saturday morning then before he goes to pick up his kids? well you'd think so but instead he decides to book a doctor's appointment to discuss something that isn't happening until a few months into the future anyway (and even then the doctor's think it's a waste of time). So Saturday is a write off as he then has to pick up the kids and they're at football all afternoon and stay at his house saturday night. Compromise was that he'd take the kids back to their mums for 12pm today (this is what she wanted too as she's getting pissed off with never seeing the kids on a weekend as he's picking them up earlier than he used to). So I spent all of last night washing, ironing, organising and packing looking forward to some help when he gets here at 12.30ish today.

Well - he's just text me laughing that his eldest is still in bed so everything is running behind.

AIBU to just stop trying and let him do the lot when he eventually arrives?

annh Sun 17-Mar-13 16:52:47

Is this some kind of stealth boast? If you have so much to do, why have you either joined MN/namechanged just to tell us this?

fluckered Sun 17-Mar-13 17:16:26

so when you say noone else you mean dh? i presume your kids are too young to be doing their own packing. so it has to be done for them. did you really have to go with him to opticians? pack yourself and kids let him do his own. and surely you know this was coming so why not organised a bit earlier other than leaving it all til last minute.

jollygoose Sun 17-Mar-13 17:21:31

cant think what you are com[plaining about frankly - a 3 week holiday in the states ohn poor poor you most of us are lucky to get a weekend in southend.

DontmindifIdo Sun 17-Mar-13 17:22:40

Pack for you and your dcs, don't mention it again to your dp. Mine has been known to leave it until the taxi was pulling up outside to pack for himself, but I'm not his mother and the stuff he didn't have only made problems for him...

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sun 17-Mar-13 17:32:04

i agree. Just pack your stuff. If it comes time to leave for the airport and he's looking at an empty suitcase, then tough shit. He'll have to fling it all in there.

Have you said to him that you are not doing his packing? Or does he actually think that he will get up tomorrow and find his cases packed and ready to go?

annh Sun 17-Mar-13 17:35:06

What dc? His dc are with their mum, I don't think there are even any children gong on this trip? Op is packing for herself only, I think.

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 17-Mar-13 19:09:49

Nightmare trip to the Us hmm. Why is it nightmare OP - are your diamond shoes a little too tight?

If you have no DCs together then YABU, in fact even if you do then you are still being unreasonable.

We're off to Florida in a fortnight ( no stealth boasting here I'm loud and proud !). Over the last few weeks I have ordered the Estas, printed out the condo vouchers, nagged DH until he booked a car - is this the paperwork of which you speak as ok it's a pain but when I knuckled down to it and stopped mumsnetting it probably took me 2 hours tops.

For packing I was planning to fling together one case of clothes for myself and one for DS. DH is on his own. They have shops in America I believe that sell things if you forget anything, oh and irons as well.

livinginwonderland Sun 17-Mar-13 20:06:20

just leave him to it. i don't understand why you think you have to pack for him. he's a grown man. i like being organised and packed the day before i leave. the same with my dad. my mum, on the other hand, will pack ten minutes before we have to leave for the airport and she's never left anything behind.

just let him get on with it and make sure you have everything YOU need.

Toasttoppers Sun 17-Mar-13 20:17:40

If he forgets anything he can buy it in the states, they have everything on sale it is the the absolute hub of capitalism after all.

Yfronts Sun 17-Mar-13 21:19:12

Let him do his own stuff

fluffypillow Sun 17-Mar-13 21:39:03

YABVU
You're making a massive fuss about nothing.

Pack for him/don't pack for him.............. whatever confused

You're going on holiday to America tomorrow FFS envy

I'll come and pack for you both, if I can come grin

3monkeys Sun 17-Mar-13 21:44:42

I packed for all 5 of us to go to Aus. When we got there, I very smugly pulled my flip flops out of my handbag, and they were 2 left feet! Uggs weren't great in December!
Everything for everyone else though was packed

badguider Sun 17-Mar-13 21:49:11

If you're not taking children then you are being utterly ridiculous, you pack your stuff, he can stay up late and sort his own.

If you are taking kids then he is being unreasonable not taking a fair share of packing their stuff but you posted this at midday and aren't leaving till tomorrow - how long can packing take? a few hours at most? you can stay up late and sleep on the plane...

fallon8 Sun 17-Mar-13 22:18:44

It's not a third country,,let him buy anything he not packed,,it's down to him not you

motherinferior Sun 17-Mar-13 22:22:27

I genuinely cannot imagine packing for my partner ever. Not have I packed for my children in years, come to that - they insist on doing it for themselves (they are now nine and 12).

MusicalEndorphins Mon 18-Mar-13 03:42:46

I always pack at the last minute myself, but I only pack my own stuff. Dh is usually packed hours before I am.
Hope you have a good trip, relax and enjoy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now