Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wish Helen Fielding would leave Bridget Jones alone

(61 Posts)
Coatonarack Sun 17-Mar-13 10:07:34

I love Bridget. The books are hilarious and the first film was a gem. But the second film was a pastiche and the IMDB accounts of the third film sounded dire. I started off reading her Daily Tel column again, but stopped when she described Bridget cheating on Mark with Daniel in a sordid encounter behind the recycling bins. And now Helen is writing the third book.

Bridget Jones should be left alone. The last film came out nearly 10 years ago. It's over. Don't ruin it. There's nowhere you can take this.

I know, I know, she's not real. But still.....

HappyAsEyeAm Mon 18-Mar-13 14:18:02

I loved both books. I have read and re=read countless times. I read the second one during my gap year in Australia, and I was howling with laughter, and getting very odd looks. But I just couldn't stop.

I thought the films were ok. Just ok. I love the Mr Darcy references in the books and its such a shame that they wouldn't have worked in the films. Understandable, but a shame.

I have no desire to see Bridget resurrected though. She was perfect in rhe 90s and should stay perfect. I do think too that RZ played her really well. I am a size 12, and I am just gobsmacked that someone my size in a film looks so relatively large compared to the other actors (men and women). Its such a distorted sense of reality.

FloatyBeatie Mon 18-Mar-13 13:01:26

I think that the only time that I have done as much out-loud guffawing at a novel as I did for that Firth interview was when I was reading a passage in mark haddon's A Spot of Bother. That was a fairly detailed gay sex scene in which one of the parties was hungover and vomiting , and my small children kept asking me to share the story with them.

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 18-Mar-13 12:31:44

When I read the interview in the magazine, I was on a train and I was literally howling with laughter. There were Looks. grin

It was such a happy time, really.

NicknameTaken Mon 18-Mar-13 12:18:29

For some reason that line in the Firth interview about "spawning a new genre" still makes me giggle.

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 18-Mar-13 12:06:40

DD1 read the books, and the columns (I have them all on my computer) and saw the films recently. It was a real bonding process. grin

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 18-Mar-13 12:05:17

Floaty God yes. From the minute he claps eyes on Lizzie. grin It's the same watching the telly too. I've never watched the stupid film with the wrong cast so I have no idea if that approach would work with it - I'm sure not. grin

The Mr Darcy! Mr Darcy! stuff worked better when reading the columns, I think, because it went on for weeks, whereas when you read the book it's over in not very many minutes (unless you read the books over and over. Which, obviously, I have done).

FloatyBeatie Mon 18-Mar-13 12:00:09

Oh yes, I love that Firth interview too. I do still think it is in my top 10 funniest bits of a novel.

And I actually think it is very helpful to read Pride and Prejudice whilst keeping in mind the acting note Firth talks of in that scene -- 'Imagine Mr Darcy has an erection.' Last time I read P&P he had one throughout.

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 18-Mar-13 11:55:46

RZ deffo wasn't fat in BJ. Remember the scene where she did the embarrassing public speaking at the launch of kafka's Motorbike and she had a satin pencil dress on?! She was slim.

I love BJ and the sequel so up yours. All of you. Up your bums.

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 18-Mar-13 11:47:06

The thailand trip was in the columns though. It was quite tense at the time! Well. It was more interesting than some of the things in the paper anyway.

Book 2 didn't really make sense in the footballing bits because they changed the tournament and there just wasn't as much a sense of injustice about our exit, or expectation about our performance beforehand, compared to France 98.

At the time, I thought the interview with Colin Firth in the magazine was the funniest thing I had ever read (obviously on mature reflection it's probably not). It's such a shame they couldn't manage to work it into the film.

NicknameTaken Mon 18-Mar-13 11:40:37

I enjoyed the original newspaper articles, including the ones where BJ has a baby and is originally not sure who is the father, Mark D'Arcy or Daniel.

Book 2 and Film 2 were damaged by the pointless inclusion of the Thailand trip. Took away from the jokey realism. I'm looking forward to reading about BJ dealing with motherhood. I expect lots of comedy based around yummy mummy v. slummy mummy types (actually, that is starting to sound a bit dated even as I write it, but I don't care if it's not cutting edge once it's funny) .

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 18-Mar-13 11:40:00

She's not supposed to be any bigger than shazzer. In the films RZ was decidedly bigger than Sally Phillips. Bridge wasn't supposed to be a size 12, that was the point - she was thin but obsessed with the idea that she wasn't. Everyone else could see that she was thin. She was the only one who couldn't. This point was completely lost in the films.

Mintyy Mon 18-Mar-13 11:35:54

x posts with chocsaway

Mintyy Mon 18-Mar-13 11:35:29

She didn't play her "fat". She just looks abnormally large in the films because we are so used to seeing UK size 6/8 actors on screen. Anything larger looks big. I'd guess she was a UK size 12 playing BJ.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Mon 18-Mar-13 11:23:27

I think RZ is usually a size 6 and when she played Bridget she went up to a huge fat wobbly non Hollywood size 12.

God, I'd love to be only a size 12!

Coatonarack Mon 18-Mar-13 11:19:56

Cross thread. Have you seen how old Hugh Grant is looking? Maybe we'll see Bridget Jones does Grandma.

Thumbwitch Mon 18-Mar-13 10:32:09

size 4 - no one is ever a size 5 [sausage fingers]

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 18-Mar-13 10:21:18

RZ most definitely played Bridge as both fat and frumpy. Neither of which were supposed to be the case.

MsJupiter - Jane Austin was retro-fitted as the primary source. But initially HF had no master plan.

Thumbwitch Mon 18-Mar-13 10:06:13

she was a US size 5 and had to go up 5 dress sizes, or something crazy like that to play BJ. Still not really fat, just a bit plump.

FloatyBeatie Mon 18-Mar-13 10:02:49

Yes, that annoyed me too puffpants. It was like everybody had to agree with bridget's obsession that nine stone 6 or whatever is overweight. Which is the whole problem with weight and women: everyone does accept the idea that however much women weigh, they need to weigh less. Unless they are actual anorexics, in which case they are letting the side down by making the whole stupid preoccupation look bad.

I should have added "internet-hugging" to my list of flogged-to-death mummy cliches that the updated Bridget might display. I fear she will be a Mumsnet user, which will be a bit <yawn>.

Thumbwitch Mon 18-Mar-13 10:02:03

9st IS fat for RZ.

PuffPants Mon 18-Mar-13 09:45:55

The thing that bugged me about the film was the weight issue. Wasn't the whole point that BJ was actually normal-sized, occasionally skinny, but that she was neurotic about her weight? She weighed about 9 st. So why did Renee Zellwhatsit have to play her as fat? confused

ChocsAwayInMyGob Mon 18-Mar-13 09:38:41

Jupiter, yes but in the same way that Clueless was loosely based on Emma.

MsJupiterJones Mon 18-Mar-13 09:37:13

Er, wasn't Jane Austen the primary source?

Mintyy Mon 18-Mar-13 09:35:08

Apropos of nothing in particular, that film Maybe Baby is the worst film I have ever seen in my v long life, and I always proffer it up on those "What films do you hate?" mn threads that come up from time to time.

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 18-Mar-13 09:31:10

No, not really. Not least because the films are not a pile of pants. But also because the books are not a source (although I adore the books too) they are based on (but less funny than) the columns. grin

The only way in which the books trump the columns is in how they ended. The last column (befre the reboot) was just dire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now